Interesting stat from AdamJT13

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
I think Dak's brand of football would be fine if he just used those legs more.

That is his greatest attribute physically. He can move.

But he's constantly stuck in the pocket.

I don't know how many times this year he could've ran for a 1st and he threw the ball so it doesn't just need to come from the coaching.

But sitting in the pocket and taking sacks is something any QB can do so there is no point of having a mobile QB if he's a statue.

A Shannahan type of offense would be perfect for him.

I agree.

But I also think he does a good job of picking when he runs which is partially why it’s so successful.

I think if he were to overuse his legs, we’d end up seeing defenses pick up on his tendencies and lure him into bad plays with his legs instead of his arm.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Also worth mentioning: for the last couple years, many of our losses resulted from under-using Elliott and the running game (especially near the goalline, but also in terms of the bigger-picture game-wide stats) or killer negative plays that occurred on specific instances of unnecessary passing play calls. Picks or sack-fumbles or penalties by our run-blocking linemen who were trying to dig a little extra deep to pass-protect. When a drive ends with a turnover or gets stalled thanks to a penalty digging us a hole, if it came on a passing play that was entirely unnecessary, it means we shot ourselves in the foot.

When a killer mistake happens on a 3rd & long passing play, that's the cost of doing business. When that killer mistake happens on a 1st & 10 pass or a 2nd & medium/short pass or a 3rd & 1, then congratulations on outsmarting yourself when you'd have been better off lining up and handing it off on a generic run play (and, let's be honest, when you have an all-world RB and have invested numerous 1st rounders into your interior o-line, your generic run plays should be basically your best plays anyway).

So I think we'd have been better off the last few years if we ran even more, not less. I can't think of many games that Elliott suited up for where we lost the game and I came out of the game saying, "Oh, bananas! We really blew it by running the ball so much." Not many instances of that. Probably not a single one.

I can think of plenty of games where we lost and I came out of the game saying, "Um, that wasn't anything close to a shootout. It was a close game and a good day for running, and our playcaller was inexplicably trying to get Dak 40+ passes while Elliott's carry total was in the teens. What?" I can think of plenty of games where we lost and I came out of the game saying, "Um, if every one of the passes we threw at the goalline had been a generic running play instead, we'd have settled for fewer FGs and won. What?"

Added to which: the people who hate, hate, hate our coaches are largely the same people who want us to become a high-flying passing offense. And yet, when people criticize our coaches or praise other teams' coaches, they claim to want coaches who adapt to use the kind of players they have instead of forcing their system on the wrong players. But we spent 3 1st rounders on the o-line, two of which were interior road-graders, and we spent a top 5 pick on a RB even though the NFL is a passing league and RBs grow on trees. We have zero high picks at TE. We have 1 good high pick at WR. Given that that's the way we've constructed our roster, it can be said that a coach would be wisely adapting to our roster if they ran more, not less. Yet people want us to be the Greatest Show on Turf with a roster built to run an old-school Marty Schottenheimer offense.
I mean... I just keep it even more simple.
The Dallas Cowboys and Tony Romo put up insane passing stats for 5-6 years and went no where so the Org came up with "Romo-friendly" based around the OL and running the ball.
Since then (2011) they've finished below .500 only once and won the division in 3 out of the past 5 seasons making it to the 2nd round each time before faltering.

I guess we can argue about 'more' passing preventing true excellence but DAL has been a top 5 org in wins the past 5 years... and did so breaking in a new Round 4 QB.

Also it's pretty clear running the ball well tends to lead to more efficient passing which is the heart of the matter.

Verdict

Reaction score
I agree.

But Dak has the ability to be balanced. He's not even balanced. He's stuck in the pocket.

Romo didn't run a lot either but he extended plays all the time. Dak has the athleticism to do that but chooses not to.

I totally agree. If Dak ran about 5 times more per game I think you would see a much more successful offense. Maybe add as much as 5 points average per game.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score

That is his greatest attribute physically. He can move.

But he's constantly stuck in the pocket.

I don't know how many times this year he could've ran for a 1st and he threw the ball so it doesn't just need to come from the coaching.

But sitting in the pocket and taking sacks is something any QB can do so there is no point of having a mobile QB if he's a statue.

A Shannahan type of offense would be perfect for him.

Well the last game against the Giants Moore was part of the planning. I think we will see more of that where Dak was out of the pocket throwing and using his legs.

What got me was why we don't use play action more. Since the entire defense keys in on stopping Zeke, why not run play action? It baffles me that Garrett and Linehan doesn't use that often and thus warrants the criticism directed towards them.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I said in another thread, look for Moore to be bold and aggressive consistently trying to push the ball downfield. I'd be shocked if we don't see an increase in 20+ yards plays.

Love his work(AdamJT)

People talk about daks fumbles

Here’s from Adam
For Cowboys fans interested in Dak Prescott's sack-fumble rates, he has improved each season, from 1 every 4.5 sacks as a rookie to 1 every 8 sacks in 2017 to 1 every 8.43 sacks in 2018 (including the unoffical sack-fumble vs. DET).

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

If they are going to pay him like they will inevitably do, yes. A hundred times yes.

His best games are when he ran. His rookie year was predicated a lot on his run ability.

He is a dual threat QB all the way, no matter how much we pretend he can be a functional pocket passer.

That threat makes him so much better. I just wonder if it was Linehan's refusal or something else involved with that.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
I totally agree. If Dak ran about 5 times more per game I think you would see a much more successful offense. Maybe add as much as 5 points average per game.
Dallas needs to go more uptempo and stop trying to force the run.

Here’s another quote from adamjt talking bout points per posession
For comparison, the top three teams in ppp were the Chiefs (3.25), Saints (3.21) and Rams (2.79). In the last 5 min. of 2Q or tied/trailing in 4th, the Chiefs scored 3.50, Saints 3.49 and Rams 2.77. Post-Amari Cowboys scored 3.81. FOCUS ON SCORING.

Alexander

Reaction score
Dallas needs to go more uptempo and stop trying to force the run.

Here’s another quote from adamjt talking bout points per posession
For comparison, the top three teams in ppp were the Chiefs (3.25), Saints (3.21) and Rams (2.79). In the last 5 min. of 2Q or tied/trailing in 4th, the Chiefs scored 3.50, Saints 3.49 and Rams 2.77. Post-Amari Cowboys scored 3.81. FOCUS ON SCORING.
To go up tempo, you have to have a naturally accurate passer capable of making pretty much any throw.

You are talking Mahomes, Brees and Goff. All three clearly have good to exceptional arm talent.

I don't see that with Prescott. Sorry.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
To go up tempo, you have to have a naturally accurate passer capable of making pretty much any throw.

You are talking Mahomes, Brees and Goff. All three clearly have good to exceptional arm talent.

I don't see that with Prescott. Sorry.
What this stat is telling you that when Dallas wasn’t trying to work the clock and were trying to score they were even more productive thenkc no and la.

Alexander

Reaction score
What this stat is telling you that when Dallas wasn’t trying to work the clock and were trying to score they were even more productive thenkc no and la.
So what?

Saying they should go up tempo all the time does not eliminate the need for a naturally accurate passer.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
So what?

Saying they should go up tempo all the time does not eliminate the need for a naturally accurate passer.
NO, but they do need to speed up some, and stop trying to force the run so much. This i basically what adamjt is saying. Not so much an uptempo, but not trying to force the run at all costs. Play more of what we saw in the 4th quarters of game with this team.

Alexander

Reaction score
NO, but they do need to speed up some, and stop trying to force the run so much. This i basically what adamjt is saying. Not so much an uptempo, but not trying to force the run at all costs. Play more of what we saw in the 4th quarters of game with this team.
That still requires an accurate passer.

Do that more, you are exposing yourself to more three and outs.

The whole idea we have on offense is to play keep away.

Chew up TOP and keep the D off the field.

I have no reservations thinking that philosophy was not only to protect the D, but also acknowledge the QB's limitations.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score
That still requires an accurate passer.

Do that more, you are exposing yourself to more three and outs.

The whole idea we have on offense is to play keep away.

Chew up TOP and keep the D off the field.

I have no reservations thinking that philosophy was not only to protect the D, but also acknowledge the QB's limitations.
I see this type of post from alot of you who just dont like dak. Talking about his accuracy. and when people bring up his accuracy and how its not even as bad as any of you make it out to be and is actually good. He was the 10th most accurate paser in the NFL. But then ill read because he dinks and dunks. Dak is right there with Tom Brady(7.6) and Aaron Rodgers(7.4) in avg per attemp at 7.4. and actually was throwing at 8.3 avg per attempt in 11 games with Cooper. Which was in the top 3 during that time frame.

Ever think maybe the offense play calling was a problem? Ill tell you one person who did and that was Cooper.

Alexander

Reaction score
I see this type of post from alot of you who just dont like dak. Talking about his accuracy. and when people bring up his accuracy and how its not even as bad as any of you make it out to be and is actually good. He was the 10th most accurate paser in the NFL. But then ill read because he dinks and dunks. Dak is right there with Tom Brady(7.6) and Aaron Rodgers(7.4) in avg per attemp at 7.4. and actually was throwing at 8.3 avg per attempt in 11 games with Cooper. Which was in the top 3 during that time frame.

Ever think maybe the offense play calling was a problem? Ill tell you one person who did and that was Cooper.
The offense playcalling was a problem. They didn't call plays that put him in the best position to succeed and that is doing what he has always done going back to college. Put Prescott into more of a philosophy based on his strengths, you might see even better accuracy. But making him have high degree of difficulty downfield throws is not the way to go.

Perhaps Moore sees that and makes him into what a lot of fans already pretend he is as they sift through stats.

Garrettop

Reaction score
The offense playcalling was a problem. They didn't call plays that put him in the best position to succeed and that is doing what he has always done going back to college. Put Prescott into more of a philosophy based on his strengths, you might see even better accuracy. But making him have high degree of difficulty downfield throws is not the way to go.

Perhaps Moore sees that and makes him into what a lot of fans already pretend he is as they sift through stats.

The difference between Alex and especially Risen and most fans is most of us hope or believe they are wrong and they only hope they are right.

LatinMind

iPhotoshop
Reaction score

OK now ill talk about the deep throw. Yes he is inaccurate on SOME just like every other qb. But ill tell you this, how come he had a 70% accuracy with Cooper but was 38% with the other WRs? Maybe because Cooper runs better routes? Yes we have seen Dak over throw Gallup, but we have seen him hit Gallup too. Some is on Dak but some is on Gallup, and ill give you a example on what he does and Dak pointed this out to him ingame and you could see Gallup agreeing. On these double moves they run to Gallup he has a tendency to jerk too much and having to restart the route which disrupts the timing of his route. Go watch the 2nd Philly game and you will see what im talking about. Now im not saying Dak hasnt thrown some ugly passes on deep throws but what i am saying is just because the pass wasnt complete doesnt means it was on Dak. Theres a reason Cooper and Dak connect often on them deep throws. He just a better WR and he knows how to transition his route.

Alexander

Reaction score
The difference between Alex and especially Risen and most fans is most of us hope or believe they are wrong and they only hope they are right.
I don't care if I am right. I actually hope we are making the right decision about Prescott that I know will happen.

If there is not a radical change on how Prescott is used, he will never be successful enough. I just am willing to acknowledge what he is.

A lot of fans won't do that because it is kind of hard to imagine you are about to pay a guy the kind of money Jones has already committed to him. So it is much better (and easier) to rally behind your QB and go on.

Garrettop

Reaction score
I think Prescott is a top 16 QB on his worst day in the Linehan offense. That's good enough to win with. After that it's a matter of salary cap percentage in terms of pay. The trick now is using his low days in a poor scheme fit to justify lower pay as he goes forward in a hopefully new and better fit. Certain people are lost in the sauce over "tangibles" which have yet to manifest in QBs which will never play in Dallas for reasons that have nothing to do with the Dallas FO, and it's skewing their reasoning abilities about Dak.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
If Gallup's struggles were Dak's fault, then how did he and Amari Cooper click right out of the gate?

A lot of rookie receivers struggle early on, and I think Gallup is going to have a huge year in 2019.
You get it,, and I continue to stand firm that this offense continues to dismiss the value of that RB2 compliment, that "COP" RB that will elevate Daks progression and extend Zekes career.
Rod Smith is a hard runner, a good player, but he is not that missing piece that Dak so desperately needs.