Interesting Tony Romo nugget

Flamma

Reaction score
That's tough to listen to. We've been spoiled over the last 10 years and that includes Dak's good season. I'm not saying that Romo is some Hall of Famer, just that I don't want to go back to the days between Aikman and Romo. Those were rough years.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Passing effectiveness. I imagine it does get a lot easier when you get one side of that equation completely figured out.

GB has been in that situation for years, too. Tough to get there and then not come through.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Passing effectiveness. I imagine it does get a lot easier when you get one side of that equation completely figured out.

GB has been in that situation for years, too. Tough to get there and then not come through.

Yea but when get close one year......you have to go for the kill the next one. NOT waste time rebuilding units with bottom feeders like we've done with RB unit ( 2015), OL (2017) and now WRs.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Romo was improving as a player I really believe that, but injuries really hurt him at inopportune imes.

His body just out on him......remember he walked away from two offers from Texans and Bronco to continue playing. Truth is his health had reached a concern of whether or not he could get through a game, let alone a season.

Cowboysfan917

Reaction score
His body just out on him......remember he walked away from two offers from Texans and Bronco to continue playing. Truth is his health had reached a concern of whether or not he could get through a game, let alone a season.

While I’m certain his health played a factor, I don’t believe it was his biggest factor. I think the biggest factor was that he did not want to uproot his young family or be away from his young family over just playing another year or two of football.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
While I’m certain his health played a factor, I don’t believe it was his biggest factor. I think the biggest factor was that he did not want to uproot his young family or be away from his young family over just playing another year or two of football.

I'm not sure but I don't know enough to disagree.......so you may be right

Longboysfan

hipfake08
Reaction score
He will go down as the Cowboys biggest wasted opportunity in the end. Plenty good enough to win a title with yet little help in other areas to help achieve it :(

Along with Danny White.

But at least we had good players. That produced good teams, while not winning championships.

Try being a Browns fan or an Eagles fan before last year.

DejectedFan1996

Reaction score
I thought the only real offer Romo had last year was from the Jets? Thought the Broncos were considering at first but then wanted to get younger t the position

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
^ This. Additionally, I believe basic human sentiment played a role in his decision to not further his football career. The Cowboys was a huge part of his career, his entire career in fact, which he was extremely grateful and loyal towards following the unique opportunity he earned after joining the team.

Perhaps his desire to leave for another team would have been greater years ago but I do not think he could foresee duplicating the same passion elsewhere. He had made his fortune already. Sometimes providence presents a different avenue for satisfaction. It did for him. Plus, retirement did afford him more time to play golf, his other true sports love, competitively.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I thought the only real offer Romo had last year was from the Jets? Thought the Broncos were considering at first but then wanted to get younger t the position

It was no secret Elway had legit interest in signing Romo but said he would only sign him as a free agent. He flat out refused to give Cowboys a draft pick, even a 7th rounder. Made no secret Romo would certainly be a free agent priority once/if he's released by Cowboys.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Yea but when get close one year......you have to go for the kill the next one. NOT waste time rebuilding units with bottom feeders like we've done with RB unit ( 2015), OL (2017) and now WRs.
Yep back in 2007 we needed to go in for the kill. You just don't know how many chances you're going to have and Tony didn't have many more.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
^ This. Additionally, I believe basic human sentiment played a role in his decision to not further his football career. The Cowboys was a huge part of his career, his entire career in fact, which he was extremely grateful and loyal towards following the unique opportunity he earned after joining the team.

Perhaps his desire to leave for another team would have been greater years ago but I do not think he could foresee duplicating the same passion elsewhere. He had made his fortune already. Sometimes providence presents a different avenue for satisfaction. It did for him. Plus, retirement did afford him more time to play golf, his other true sports love, competitively.

I think the key was CBS offering him the #1 broadcasting job. In fact, seem to remember him mentioning that was an opportunity not afforded to many former players. It was just too good to pass.......