Interesting twitter discussion of the Cowboys option at 3rd overall

Bowdown27

Reaction score
I agree with Sewell or trade down. I wouldn't want to trade down too far though. Missing out on Sewell, Parsons, or any of the other high ranked D guys would suck pretty badly.
I’m with you. I’m partial to parsons but if you don’t take Sewell or parsons at 3-5 you’re missing out on biggest prospects

cffl2323

Reaction score
There are no defensive studs but Penei looks like a franchise cornerstone to me, a generational talent at a position we need it. Penei, LG, Biadish, Martin, Collins. Yes, please!

If we go that route I like the look of Smith, sewell, Biadasz, Martin, Collins. That could get our line back to dominance immediately, and leave possibilities down the road if Tyron has issues. But if someone offers us multiple premium picks for our pick, I think that's a no brainer.

VACowboy

Reaction score
If we go that route I like the look of Smith, sewell, Biadasz, Martin, Collins. That could get our line back to dominance immediately, and leave possibilities down the road if Tyron has issues. But if someone offers us multiple premium picks for our pick, I think that's a no brainer.
Yeah, that'd be the lineup until Tyron retires. You're right. No-brainer.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Pretty much this.

You don't necessarily want to draft a guard at 3, but it makes the OL so strong I think it's the easy choice if you're staying put.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
This could mean, if you cannot land a QB spot, forget about finding a trade partner to move back.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Pretty much this.

You don't necessarily want to draft a guard at 3, but it makes the OL so strong I think it's the easy choice if you're staying put.

I don't think he has to start at G and if he does it'd be short term. He has perennial pro bowl potential at LT so I don't think he'd stay at G long if they started him there.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I don't think he has to start at G and if he does it'd be short term. He has perennial pro bowl potential at LT so I don't think he'd stay at G long if they started him there.
Agreed. G is the short-term play.

It's almost the exact opposite of Larry Allen.

Beaker42

Reaction score
There are no defensive studs but Penei looks like a franchise cornerstone to me, a generational talent at a position we need it. Penei, LG, Biadish, Martin, Collins. Yes, please!
Penei, Collins back at LG, Biadasz, Martin and Connor at RT. Win win scenario.

Carson

Reaction score
If people doubt Sewell at 3, turn on the tape. The kid plays nasty.

Starting day one LG and pro bowl LT after Smith retires.

Parsons is good. But just not worth #3

baltcowboy

Reaction score
This will be the hardest draft to judge because their will be very little tape on the smaller school players. If we get the 3rd pick we really are gonna have to trust our scouts if we decide to trade down. I am a conservative person. I would just draft Sewell and not be to cute with trade downs. I feel that we will draft high enough in the other rounds to not have to take chances. We came away with 4 starters last draft and picked much lower. Cavanaugh and his Captain trade down ideas could backfire real quick.

Bing

Reaction score
If a QB is there at 3rd we take him. If not no ones going to want to trade up into our spot anyway...