Is 2019 the year A. Peterson lives his dream of being a Cowboy?

GoJacks

Reaction score
On R. Smith -
I think this community overlooks the fact that R. Smith provides us with a synergistic benefit; it keeps Jaylon happy, and can lead to him taking a "hometown discount".... now cutting his brother going into a contract year? I don't think that's smart.

Getting a new RB2, having Smith slide back to FB (believe he started as one or was one in college), I'd support that.
Correct me if i'm wrong but I believe Jaylon did not accrue a year of service his rookie year so he is still under contract through 2020.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Well, just my opinion here but that whole AP ship has not only sailed long ago, it has been struck by an Ice Burg and sunk, it's been rebuilt and sailed the NFL for so many years that it's no longer a useful vessel and it's now been rechistened as a Star Ship complete with little toy models of the original Ships on display in its Captains Ready Room.

No, I don't think AP is ever or should ever come to Dallas. He had opportunities to come home, had he wanted to. He never did that so it's cool, was not meant to be.

However, I absolutely do think we should keep an open mind towards investing high assets in a RB if the opportunity presents itself and if it is best value at the time of opportunity. I know that Jerry has indicated he wants to get Zeke taken care of but I have watched this organization for a long time and sometimes, that's speak for negotiation. As we all know, negotiations aren't always favorable. We may need a starting caliber RB before it's all said and done. If nothing else, we could use a quality back up that could be a starter for us IMO.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Having a 1000 yard season at 33 years old is incredibly impressive, but Peterson got there through a couple big games and a lot of bad games. I think he wore out pretty quick down the stretch, and he's another year and 250 carries older now too.

He's better than Rod Smith for sure, but he's not a guy I would be crazy excited to pursue either.

Exactly he wore out down the stretch carrying the rock 20 times per game. He'd be used in a 5-9 touch per game fashion which will benefit us and him.

For the minimum? No question I'd take him then take a COP back in the draft.

fansince68

Reaction score
I really want our RB2 to bring a change of pace to the offense. Like Cohen of the Bears or Sproles of the Eagles. Shifty, quick and possibly able to return punts.

garyv

Reaction score
I think we all know we can improve at RB2. AP flashed starter potential, and may be out of budget... but given the decade-long narrative of him wanting to be a Cowboy, perhaps it is doable. Considering he is coming off a league minimum contract with the Skins, the price won't be too high.

On R. Smith -
I think this community overlooks the fact that R. Smith provides us with a synergistic benefit; it keeps Jaylon happy, and can lead to him taking a "hometown discount".... now cutting his brother going into a contract year? I don't think that's smart.

Getting a new RB2, having Smith slide back to FB (believe he started as one or was one in college), I'd support that.

I believe your right on this...the thing is you cut him and Jaylon's attitude might change. However what I would look at
doing is cutting my Fullback and moving Rod Smith to Fullback and than picking up a scatback similar to Sproles.

SSoup

Reaction score
After his year this year he’ll want to be a starter and get starter money. And he deserves it
Maybe. Though I'm not sure most starting RBs make that much money or appreciably more than backup money. If you look at the top 32 highest paid RBs, I imagine the bottom half are all only making a couple million average yearly. Which is backup money in the NFL today.

I'm also not sure that a nice season later in a RB's career automatically means teams will be clamoring to hand him a guaranteed starting job. Peterson finished--what?--7th in the league in rushing this year at 33 years old. That's cool. Remember when Darren McFadden finished 4th in the league in rushing playing for us in 2015 in a similar scenario where the offense lost its QB (at an age 5 years younger than Adrian and with less serious medical history or off-field character issues at the time)? And how the teams hurried to pry him away from us to pay him big money and give him guaranteed starting jobs? Yeah, I don't remember that happening either. He had the pedigree of a former high pick, and the league still yawned because they knew overpaying a RB like that is less appealing than drafting a younger, fresher one who will play for peanuts.

Anyone who pays him more than a 2 or 3 million is probably a sucker bidding against themselves.

Anyone who tells him he'll be starting in March is quite likely to draft a mid- or late-round RB in April who will steal his job in the summer or fall anyway.

JayFord

Reaction score
If Peterson can help us win the ufc title then I’m for it

But I doubt he leaves washinton

davidariust24

Reaction score
I'd love to have Adrian Peterson as our backup RB. That guy can still play . It would make our team so much more secure if he came. I'd tell jerry to do it asap. Zeke is still young, but he has been taking a load . I'd give the whole load to zeke if he wants but to have insurance like AP. I'd do it in a heart beat

conner01

Reaction score
Just draft a cheap guy
Hopefully a guy who has punt return skills

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I think we all know we can improve at RB2. AP flashed starter potential, and may be out of budget... but given the decade-long narrative of him wanting to be a Cowboy, perhaps it is doable. Considering he is coming off a league minimum contract with the Skins, the price won't be too high.

On R. Smith -

Interesting question and I could see this happening. He’s certainly a better option than Smith.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Having a 1000 yard season at 33 years old is incredibly impressive, but Peterson got there through a couple big games and a lot of bad games. I think he wore out pretty quick down the stretch, and he's another year and 250 carries older now too.

He's better than Rod Smith for sure, but he's not a guy I would be crazy excited to pursue either.

Peterson had 3 games over 100 yards and 7 games overall that were over 95 yards. He was pretty solid most of the year and a couple of his low rushing games they never gave him the ball. he had two games with 4 carries and two games with 9 carries, although i think one of the games with 4 carries was the game he hurt his shoulder against NO. At 33 the guy proved he was still a stud at RB he will get a nice raise next season on a one year deal and he earned it.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Peterson had 3 games over 100 yards and 7 games over 95 yards this past season. he was pretty solid most of the year and a couple of his low rushing games they never gave him the ball. he had two games with 4 carries and two games with 9 carries, although i think one of the games with 4 carries was the game he hurt his shoulder against NO. At 33 the guy proved he was still a stud at RB he will get a nice raise next season on a one year deal and he earned it
Not sure how much of a raise he would get, don't see him getting more than $3mn for a season at 34 years old

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Just draft a cheap guy
Hopefully a guy who has punt return skills
Don't think we get a guy worth having without spending at least our 4th.

AP is 34, can still go, will be relatively cheap, and will sell more jerseys than we even pay the man. Plus, he's always wanted to be a Cowboy. Don't see a reason not to pursue him if Washington doesn't re-sign him before FA starts.