Is Anyone Getting a Little Worried About Dak's Injuries?

coult44

Reaction score
For his 1st 4 years, he never missed a game. He was a tank. But starting last year, he missed most the year. Needed 2 surgeries on his ankle. Then gets a new injury in his shoulder in the offseason. And now a calf strain. I am not going to start comparing him to Romo at all but I hope we don't see these injuries start to pop up every year and we get to what Romo became where it was always something every season. This is what separated him from Romo.

Nope. You ever been around competitive football. You get hurt every game in some way. Was his shoulder really injured, or just tired? He told everyone to have fun speculating about the calf, and that’s what you are doing.

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Can anyone on this board change the outcome if Dak is out for several weeks and misses games?

No.

So why worry about something where you have no ability to control it?

SSoup

Reaction score
I mean, I'm less worried about Dak's injuries and more worried about the team managing injuries correctly.

Dak hasn't, for me, reached the Tony Romo level of feeling like he's just always going to spontaneously break his clavicle or break his back on some routine play where he's barely touched or where a defender just looks at him wrong.

But football is a physical game and injuries will happen.

Our team, perhaps because Jerry has such a fondness for a good story, is often very bad at handling the smaller injuries (like, any injury that is a weeks-long thing instead of a season-ending months-long thing).

We often can't be bothered to field NFL-caliber backups, so right away we build in excuses or incentives to rush players back or allow players to play when they honestly shouldn't. And on top of that, I think our organization is just too pleased with itself anytime it can tell a hero story about someone playing through broken ribs or whatever, that they don't see the dangers in not shutting guys down for a minute to let them heal properly and heal quicker.

It happened earlier in Dak's career, the year he had two hand injuries late in the season in December (I believe it was a sprain in one hand and a finger injury on the other hand), and it became clear he couldn't really grip or throw the ball, which is kind of important for the QB position that exists to pass the football. But instead of sitting him down and asking the backup to do their job and keep our heads above water to let Dak heal, we opted to shoot for the hero story and play the guy who couldn't grip and throw the football. It was unproductive and stupid.

And I believe it's happened again. Dak's flare-up with the shoulder injury was very likely a result of the team not being smart about limiting his upper-body work while he rehabbed from the lower-body injury. There's a temptation to say, "Well, I'm hurt down there but I can throw fine so I'll just double-down on working with the part of my body that is still functioning." But that's dicey because it's so easy to mess up the body when you start compensating for injuries here or there. (Like how people who injure a leg and start using a cane or a walker routinely end up back months later with an entirely new injury caused by the way they changed their movements to workaround their initial injury. Or, heck, look at the case of Hugh Laurie, the actor who played a guy with a limp on a TV show. He didn't have an injury in the first place. But just pretending to have a limp messed him up and caused him real-life injuries.)

Dak suffered a bad lower-body injury. We didn't handcuff him as much we should, and surprise, surprise, it ends up with him messing up something on his upper body. And after suffering an upper body injury, during which we didn't handcuff him properly (we made a big show of holding him out of practice like we're being extra careful but we didn't stop him from throwing during that time), surprise, surprise, he comes up with a whole new lower-body injury not long after. If this is how our team is gonna handle things, he'll ping-pong back and forth between new upper body and lower body injuries. And eventually you can probably sprinkle in a back injury (because that's what comes next when you change your mechanics to compensate for all these other things), and now you're really off to the races.

I wish I trusted the team to manage injuries better.

I really hate that Aikman and Romo had to retire early and I had to be happy about it because I was just relieved they got out while they could still move around and play with their kids and enjoy some quality of life. I really don't want it to end up the same way with Dak. So I hope a point will come when someone we employ will speak up and do better about advocating for our players' health. Instead of always pinning our hopes on this fantasy that we'll end up telling hero stories about how the guy fought through injuries and everything turned out good.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Dak himself..he said he was fine at his post game press conference.

Yeah at this point I am not inclined to question Dak.. After all didn't he say he would be back and better than ever just days after his injury last year? To this point I'd say he wasn't lyin..

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I'd feel better with Cam or Foles than Rush or DiNucci
I can't believe they went with Cooper Rush as a backup this year. Just can't believe it.

And that's after they thought it would be Gilbert until the third preseason game, so they know Rush isn't any good.

willia451

Reaction score
Not relevant. But I'd just like to point out. Cooper Rush is going to make almost a million dollars this year.

And I don't think he's ever started an NFL game. Not one.

Even Black Dog is impressed.

zm2uUDx.png

Motorola

Reaction score
With football - one never knows.
Once he became the starter in 2005, Eli never missed a game/start due to injury - 14 straight full seasons.
Same with Rivers- started the 2006 season - never missed a game\start - PERIOD. 15 straight full seasons.
Brady - put in 6 full seasons without a missed game/start; then had the season-ending injury the first game in 2008.
Returned to start in 2009...has not missed a start\game since (except for the first four games in 2012 due to suspension)....11 more full seasons.

bewp7

Reaction score
yes but it is not worth really worry about since i cant do any thing about it and dak is not going any where.

a player and a person is not injury prone until they are.

call it bad luck or a fluke or what ever.

Motorola

Reaction score
Not relevant. But I'd just like to point out. Cooper Rush is going to make almost a million dollars this year.

And I don't think he's ever started an NFL game. Not one.

Even Black Dog is impressed.

zm2uUDx.png
You are correct.
Has only played 6 games.
Has only thrown 3 passes....back in 2017 - 2 throws in one game - one completion; 1 throw in another-incomplete.

Frosty

Bigdog24
Reaction score
He had the same shoulder injury before. Had it in college before also.. Was no big deal. The ankle was a fluke. The calf sprain was freaky. If anything the shoulder keeps getting hurt and there is going to be a possible surgery. That’s where I get worried. Is it AC or Cuff. Starts messing with throwing.

Man I am always worried when a young elite QB gets his 2nd contract (40Mil) and gets injured...I no its football..but the Cowboys need a healthy DAK....DAK is elite when he is on the field....just need to keep him on the field.

rambo2

Reaction score
For his 1st 4 years, he never missed a game. He was a tank. But starting last year, he missed most the year. Needed 2 surgeries on his ankle. Then gets a new injury in his shoulder in the offseason. And now a calf strain. I am not going to start comparing him to Romo at all but I hope we don't see these injuries start to pop up every year and we get to what Romo became where it was always something every season. This is what separated him from Romo.
Dak isn't injured.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Lmao

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A great philosophy of life!

It's actually dumb.

Let's say, God forbid, your spouse is having a medical issue and they spot something that may or may not be cancer. More tests are needed. Should you not worry about it since you have no ability to affect the outcome?

Does this also mean don’t worry about outcome of games? We have no influence one way or the other.

Dumb. You worry because you care.