Is anyone watching the AAF?

jsb357

Reaction score
I watched from beginning to end. SA vs SD

The replay call was cool listening in as the decision was made.

I like the idea of the Sky box official although I don't think came into play on Sat.

Moose as GM. Awesome.

The NFL needs a developmental league for players, coaches, refs, and FO people.

Great idea I just wish more game were on broadcast TV.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
Yeah, no upstart league is going to ever compete with the NFL's money.

This league has a real chance.

I do wonder how it can co-exist with the XFL next year.

Sounds like a weird scenario.

AAF has a huge advantage in that they are starting a year ahead. If the league is successful and a few teams sign a few players, then the XFL will be a third tier league.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
The QB and O Line play are not good (in general).

For now, I'm chalking that up to it being the beginning of the season and they don't have much of a preseason.

The other thing might be the 35-second play clock (versus 40 in the NFL and NCAA). It's only 5 seconds but that's 5 less seconds the QB has to read the defense and make adjustments.

mmohican29

Reaction score
I thought the quality of play was good enough to televise. I think the majority of teams could beat a top 20 college team. This is about 3 steps behind the NFL quality wise. Behind the USFL of old as well, but more even teams.

That said, the league itself has a very sterile feel to it. Uniforms look like a create a Madden team look.

If you put this football product in XFL style presentation, you might have a winner. I'm hoping for a merger situation down the road.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Are there any former NFL players or coaches you like?

No. Once they leave the Steelers, they're dead to me. :D

Seriously, I guess Birmingham would be the team since the Steelers are their affiliate.

The HQ is in Pittsburgh, but Goodell ruined ever rooting for a league office.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score

CPanther95

Reaction score
Not sure. Saw it before .Think each team has NFL affiliates.

Just looked it up, Cowboys are affiliated with San Antonio along with the Texans, Chiefs and Eagles.

This is why it's laughable when people say these leagues are jockeying to be a developmental league for the NFL or that the AAF is the front runner to partner with the NFL.

The AAF IS part of the NFL already in everything but name.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Just looked it up, Cowboys are affiliated with San Antonio along with the Texans, Chiefs and Eagles.

This is why it's laughable when people say these leagues are jockeying to be a developmental league for the NFL or that the AAF is the front runner to partner with the NFL.

The AAF IS part of the NFL already in everything but name.

Looked it up where? Please post the link to the article or website.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Ahhh, now I know where you guys are getting this.

It's not that they are affiliated. Each AAF team has the rights to certain colleges and NFL teams so that the teams are as fair as possible.

If a player's last NFL team was the Cowboys, San Antonio gets first crack at him.

Some players, like ex-Cowboys Sterling Moore still made it to the AZ Hotshots, even though none of his ex-teams are the Hotshots designated teams.

It's not an affiliation, it's a designation of teams assigned concerning players' past teams.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
The Hotshots also have rights to players unaffiliated with one of the designated schools, but who were most recently affiliated with professional teams:

National Football League (NFL)

Canadian Football League (CFL)

It doesn't mean the Commanders are THE developmental team for the Cowboys. It means if an ex-Cowboy becomes available, meaning they cut him, the Commanders would have first rights to try to sign the player, assuming the player signed with the Alliance, and not the CFL or soon, the XFL.

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
I watched from beginning to end. SA vs SD

The replay call was cool listening in as the decision was made.

I like the idea of the Sky box official although I don't think came into play on Sat.

Moose as GM. Awesome.

The NFL needs a developmental league for players, coaches, refs, and FO people.

Great idea I just wish more game were on broadcast TV.
75 percent of the regular season games are on cable though. If you have CBSSN and NFLN you are good to go.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
AAF has a huge advantage in that they are starting a year ahead. If the league is successful and a few teams sign a few players, then the XFL will be a third tier league.
I don't think it matters.

The XFL will not be promoted by well-heeled NFL types like Bill Polian.

They will be playing the fringes, like they did with their "big" splash with Stoops.

I don't think they have a chance in hell to compete unless they have some money to spend.