Is Back Up QB the Biggest Concern?

GenoT

Reaction score
Yes. That's the point of the thread and the entire reason teams go out and get backup CBs.
Backup CBs...??!?

No matter...however, why is it that some teams are prepared to function reasonably well when called on to use a backup QB, whereas the Cowboys have rarely been so prepared, at least for the past 30+ years?

Since the multi-talented Danny White backed up and then proceeded Roger Staubach at the position, the Cowboys idea of “backup QB” is that the #1 doesn’t get hurt.

Or does 2015’s 4-12 float your boat?

ItzKelz

Reaction score
First off anything from Broaddus is a steamy pile of manure. That said its obvious backup QB is an issue. Watching Garrett and Co. try to work with Casell still keeps me up at night. Backup QB is certainly in the top 3 of issues with the team. K and SS are the other in my opinion.
If someone see's the HC getting on the QB for not commanding and controlling the huddle in practice.....this is something that either happen or did not happen....its not his opinion.....he saw it.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Its a big problem.

A veteran QB was NOT brought in over the offseason for political reasons. You cannot have a proven veteran QB behind Dak if he continues to struggle.

The last thing Command wants is a QB controversy.

Don't believe this?

Go back to the 3-5 start in 2018.
If your assessment of Dak is that he is struggling....There is no veteran QB out there better than Dak....no politics

ItzKelz

Reaction score
It does make me wonder if it would make sense to find a way to get some game experience for Rush or White. If we have a comfortable lead, put whichever one is best in the game.
A comfortable lead means they would only be handing the ball off. We know they can do that.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Backup CBs...??!?

No matter...however, why is it that some teams are prepared to function reasonably well when called on to use a backup QB, whereas the Cowboys have rarely been so prepared, at least for the past 30+ years?

Since the multi-talented Danny White backed up and then proceeded Roger Staubach at the position, the Cowboys idea of “backup QB” is that the #1 doesn’t get hurt.

Or does 2015’s 4-12 float your boat?

Obvioiusly, that was supposed to be QBs.

I don't know why we don't value Backup QBs. I mean, our HC was the Backup QB for us and was valued in that role. I can't say I understand it.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
We all know what Sanchez is.....we also know he is better than what we have at backup.
Actually we don’t know that. Considering Mike White has yet to play in a regular season game, no one knows what he might bring. I went to every one of White’s home games and some road games while he was at WKU. He can play. Can he play at the NFL level? None of us know at this point.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep. You have Belichick in NE who I guess could probably muster some magic from a backup QB. After that, you might have a team or two or three at max that has a backup QB who can right a ship and still push the team forward. That's not to say we shouldn't always been on the lookout to upgrade Rush or White, but it is what it is not just for us, but for 80-90% of the teams in the NFL.

This also reminds me how many people thought Mike White was a gem. LOL.
The other part of that is that Belichick didn't go after Garappolo as the backup but the eventual starter, that makes a huge difference. And he's the most "entire team HC" in the league, maybe ever.

The fact is there just aren't enough #1's to go around so if your guy goes down, so does your season. PHL was the exception, not even close to the rule.

I would bet there are GM's and HC's that would take Prescott over Wentz just based on the games not missed comparison. Even if a team has a Tier 3 QB starting, there's still that difference and falloff to the backup.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
I get it. Your request is understandable. But do we really need a link to know what would happen if Dak got injured? It would be game over.
You mean like when Dak was thrust into the starting role as a rookie? Or when a totally unknown and unproven Romo was inserted into the lineup? Or better yet, when 6th round pick and unproven Tom Brady had to play when Bledsoe got hurt? I wish some of you guys would loan me your crystal ball. I’d love to get the winning lottery numbers.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Actually we don’t know that. Considering Mike White has yet to play in a regular season game, no one knows what he might bring. I went to every one of White’s home games and some road games while he was at WKU. He can play. Can he play at the NFL level? None of us know at this point.
Actually we do know that. Weve never seen White in the NFL look better than Sanchez.....never. Heck not even in college.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
The other part of that is that Belichick didn't go after Garappolo as the backup but the eventual starter, that makes a huge difference. And he's the most "entire team HC" in the league, maybe ever.

The fact is there just aren't enough #1's to go around so if your guy goes down, so does your season. PHL was the exception, not even close to the rule.

I would bet there are GM's and HC's that would take Prescott over Wentz just based on the games not missed comparison. Even if a team has a Tier 3 QB starting, there's still that difference and falloff to the backup.

I don't think it has to be a number 1 QB. But it has to be somebody who can read a defense and run the Offense. Somebody who has some experience in the League.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Actually we do know that. Weve never seen White in the NFL look better than Sanchez.....never. Heck not even in college.
You would be VERY wrong on this point. White was absolutely terrific in college. I know. I attended most of his games. And no, you have no clue what he can or can’t do in the NFL. Not yet. We do know that Sanchez is absolute garbage. That’s what we actually know. Just because you think something is true doesn’t mean it is.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
By your logic, we’ve never seen White look as terrible in the NFL as Sanchez has either. But, just like what you said in the reverse, it doesn’t mean squat until White actually plays.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
If your assessment of Dak is that he is struggling....There is no veteran QB out there better than Dak....no politics

I dont remember Romo needing a QB coach to fix his "problems."

And yes, Dak did struggle in 2017 and the first half of 2018.

And No, Dallas did not sign a vet QB.

And Yes, life is all about politics.

ondaedg

Reaction score
I just looked at the list of available FA quarterbacks and it's a pretty sad list.

Yep and that is why starting QBs are being paid $30+ mil. The drop off from a good starter to backup QB is the biggest in all of professional sports.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's not the biggest concern. Bigger concerns before backup QB (in no order).

- Safety concerns, especially SS
- CB play opposite Jones
- Improved pass rush from a team that was middle of the pack last year in getting after the QB
- OL health, specifically Smith and Frederick.

These all will have much bigger impacts on the season than who the backup QB is. The reality is that for almost all teams, save for a very small handful, if they have to go to a back up QB, they are screwed.

I disagree. I think that this overall team is deep enough and strong enough to deal with any of the issues, even 'the Jeff Heath effect'. But if Prescott goes down, this team is dead in the water.

reddyuta

Reaction score
I really hope Mike white shows something to get the backup job,if he doesnt then its time to jettison both and get a veteran QB for a backup.