Is Bill Bellichick the guy Jerry wants?

Chappy

Reaction score
Having not made a call yet on Garrett the clapper tells me the coach/guy he wants is still coaching and the rumors on a few other message boards is that JJ is heavily invested in Bill Bellichick but as we all know his Pats are playing in the WC games this weekend.

Whether or not it happens is anyones guess but i would be surprised if JJ goes the untried route/or collegiate level coach with the current roster we have. Jones and Bellichick go back a fair way and by no means are strangers at all and when BB was leaving the Browns in 1995 he approached JJ for a job as his first port of call but JJ had already committed to Switzer after his SB triumph from memory and then BB went to the Pats and the rest is history.

Now this is by no means fact that he is chasing BB but stranger things have happened before and nearly everyone knows the Pats are not winning another SB anytime soon with old man Brady getting older every day.

Lots to play out here regarding our next coach IMO and watch this space. ;)

FanSince71

Reaction score
I agree, but if Belichick were to become available, Jerry would be a fool not to inquire. JJ has shown desperation once in the past when he hired Parcells, I can only hope his advanced age, 25 years of futility and the embarrassment of the 2019 season has put him into crisis mode.

it’s a dream scenario for Cowboys fans, but Bill is a strong defensive coach, which we desperately need, and his son would probably come with him, who is supposed to be an up & comer as a coach. We already know Belichick uses multiple defensive fronts, schemes to take away his opponents strengths and he coaches his defense to be aggressive and cause turnovers. Sounds damn good to me.

That would leave offense as a concern, but perhaps BB would take a liking to Kellen Moore and keep him on as OC - but coach the young coach. Either that, or I’m sure he has some other good offensive minds to call upon.

Yes, it’s far fetched. It’s a pipe dream. But it’s fun to imagine. I don’t think there’s a young Belichick out there, so the next best thing would to be getting the man to teach the ways.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Is Brady retiring after this season? Is Bill’s contract up after this season? Does BB want to continue coaching?

If the answers to those questions is “yes” then I would say there is a slim chance BB is patrolling the sidelines in Dallas next year.

A LOT of things would have to line up for this to go from “pipe dream” to reality though.

Asklesko

Reaction score
That's exactly right. It's Belichick or bust for Jerry this offseason.

KB1122

Reaction score
Belichick:
1) is a known a Landry admirer;
2) played catch on the sidelines with Roger Staubach as a youth when his father was a coach at the Naval Academy;
3) therefore, it would not be surprising to find out he was a Cowboys fan in the 1970s.

He apparently approached Jerry at some point in the nineties about taking a job with the Cowboys.

KB1122

Reaction score
Is Brady retiring after this season? Is Bill’s contract up after this season? Does BB want to continue coaching?

I believe that Belichick's contract is done at the end of the year. And re-upping it would probably mean sticking around post-Brady.

Chappy

Reaction score
Belichick:
1) is a known a Landry admirer;
2) played catch on the sidelines with Roger Staubach as a youth when his father was a coach at the Naval Academy;
3) therefore, it would not be surprising to find out he was a Cowboys fan in the 1970s.

He apparently approached Jerry at some point in the nineties about taking a job with the Cowboys.
Correct and it was right when he departed Cleveland in 1995.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Bill is the only guy in the league that’s the head coach and GM. He wouldn’t want any less in Dallas.

Forgot to mention, Belichick is not only the head coach and GM, but he’s also the de facto D coordinator with the departure of Flores and Schiano. He has his hands in everything in New England.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Jerry likely realizes, himself, that his chances to get Belichick are almost non existent at this point in time. That boat has sailed, especially, since Bill has been accustomed to serving as his own boss, by way of the powers that he's been awarded in New England. Jerry more than likely regrets not hiring Belichick back when he had the chance many years ago. I tend to doubt Bill feels the same, in view of the existing conditions today.

mcmvp

Reaction score
Kraft is not far off Jerry levels controlling persona. Only difference is JJ is followed by the media 24/7 while Kraft is largely ignored but behind closed doors they are very similar.

This couldn’t possibly be more inaccurate.

I can remember just one time when Kraft put the hammer down and over-ruled BB...and that was not to move away from Tom Brady as QB when Belichick was considering Jimmy G.

Turns out both had good points in this hard decision. BB was right to think Jimmy G was the right guy to be the ‘next’ guy, and Kraft was right to think Brady wasn’t finished.

To compare these two is laughable, really.