Is Brockers Too Risky at 14?

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
I really don't think we can afford to miss on this pick. Brockers scares me to death. I'm not a big fan of taking a 3-4 DE in round 1 unless they can contribute as a pass rusher. Brockers is not that guy. MAYBE he can be someday but to me the risk is too high in round 1.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
I don't get why he even is thought of as such a high first round pick. Look at how people who look at his games and the combine numbers, he lacks explosion.

Wulfman

Unofficial GM
Reaction score
He's too risky for me at #14.

I might consider him if they trade down, maybe to #22 with Cleveland, as I think he does have some upside. But if he doesn't reach the upside, you don't want him any higher than that, as he will be, at best, a Marcus Spears clone (who we took at #20).

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
The Cowboys will pick him before they pick Decastro so start getting used to Brockers.

JBS

Reaction score
theogt;4520850 said:
Wouldn't draft him even at 45. He has no upside.

you absolutely hate him, lol..everyone on the planet has a different opinion on brockers than you do..

i respect your opinion..itll be fun seeing how it turns out

JBS

Reaction score
CATCH17;4520912 said:
The Cowboys will pick him before they pick Decastro so start getting used to Brockers.

i dont think so

i think its

barron
decastro
trade down
poe
brockers

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4520921 said:
you absolutely hate him, lol..everyone on the planet has a different opinion on brockers than you do..

i respect your opinion..itll be fun seeing how it turns out
It's only because I've never seen anyone like him be successful in the NFL. If there were a player I could draw comparisons to, it'd be different. But there have been better prospects, much better, fail.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
No risk at all...no chance of bust.

Immediately effective in our rotation at DE.
Moves to T in nickle.
He does more than hold his ground and take on double teams.

Brockers is going to pay dividends for many years for the team that drafts him.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Chuck 54;4520930 said:
No risk at all...no chance of bust.

Immediately effective in our rotation at DE.
Moves to T in nickle.
He does more than hold his ground and take on double teams.

Brockers is going to pay dividends for many years for the team that drafts him.
If they took him out of the nickel package in college, no chance he plays in it in the NFL.

Wulfman

Unofficial GM
Reaction score
theogt;4520931 said:
If they took him out of the nickel package in college, no chance he plays in it in the NFL.

I will say that this is a bit misleading, even though I'm not the guy's biggest fan. LSU plays a strict D-line rotation, and no one is exempt from it. So there were times when he rotated off the field and it had nothing to do with his ability or inability, but rather was attributable to their concept of keeping players fresh.

Again, I'm not in the guy's camp, and I don't know that he could rush from the middle in four-man fronts. But LSU does things a certain way, and that played at least some part in whether or not he was on the field.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
theogt;4520931 said:

Wrong...he's better than anyone we have at DT beside Ratliff. Our nickle is 4-man front...he'll be right beside Rat.

Time will tell...I just think you're totally wrong on him. He'll be a first rounder, but if he'd played another year and come out at 21, he'd be rated even higher. Best DL on LSU by a landslide for a very good defense.

BrAinPaiNt

Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
theogt;4520927 said:
It's only because I've never seen anyone like him be successful in the NFL. If there were a player I could draw comparisons to, it'd be different. But there have been better prospects, much better, fail.

I am NOT a fan of drafting Brockers at 14 so don't think this post/link is an indication of me liking him...just a link/post that relates to your post about another player...

http://***USER-BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1***/scoutingreport2012mbrockers.php

Player Comparison: Marcus Stroud. Coming out of LSU, Brockers' game reminds me of Stroud's. The former Pro Bowler had a 10-year career with some excellent seasons for the Jacksonville Jaguars. Stroud (6-6, 310) was incredibly hard to move at the line of scrimmage and was also a fabulous run defender. He could get some pass rush on occasion, but basically averaged three sacks per season over his 10-year career. I could see Brockers turning into a similar player in the NFL. Stroud was the 13th-overall pick in the 2001 NFL Draft while Brockers is more likely to go a little bit later in the first round.

JBS

Reaction score
Heres a stat for you guys

Alabama played both Miss St and LSU

Cox was double teamed 8 times
Brockers was double teamed 42 times

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
GloryDaysRBack;4520942 said:
Heres a stat for you guys

Alabama played both Miss St and LSU

Cox was double teamed 8 times
Brockers was double teamed 42 times
Dude, I just watched the first 3 minutes of Cox's Alabama game and saw 9 times he was double teamed. I stopped watching after that. Not sure how you're counting.

JBS

Reaction score
theogt;4520954 said:
Dude, I just watched the first 3 minutes of Cox's Alabama game and saw 9 times he was double teamed. I stopped watching after that. Not sure how you're counting.

not my stat..just something i came across

Gaede

Reaction score
I don't see anything that Brockers actually does. I don't see it.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4520941 said:
I am NOT a fan of drafting Brockers at 14 so don't think this post/link is an indication of me liking him...just a link/post that relates to your post about another player...

http://***USER-BAN-INCOMING-IN-3-2-1***/scoutingreport2012mbrockers.php

Player Comparison: Marcus Stroud. Coming out of LSU, Brockers' game reminds me of Stroud's. The former Pro Bowler had a 10-year career with some excellent seasons for the Jacksonville Jaguars. Stroud (6-6, 310) was incredibly hard to move at the line of scrimmage and was also a fabulous run defender. He could get some pass rush on occasion, but basically averaged three sacks per season over his 10-year career. I could see Brockers turning into a similar player in the NFL. Stroud was the 13th-overall pick in the 2001 NFL Draft while Brockers is more likely to go a little bit later in the first round.
Similar height and weight is about where that comparison starts and ends. There are lots of guys with similar height and weight. But I've never seen any of them test so poorly and lack production entirely in college, while succeeding in the NFL.