Is Brockers Too Risky at 14?

JBS

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4521615 said:
Brockers was only slightly more noticeable n film than Poe, and pretty much everyone believes he will bust.

I just don't want another Marcus Spears.

Everyone who doesn't know what they are talking about..all the professionals love him

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SMCowboy;4521537 said:
Yeah, that is a good comparison, compare Brockers at what he is at his worst. To what many think DeCastro will become.

If you want to have a true apples to apples comparison, compare Brockers to what many think he can and will become then compare Richard Seymour to Steve Hutchinson.

Can you show me a quote of anyone saying that? Thanks in advance!

You are right, Michael Brockers "the bust" (aka Igor Olshansky) is not worthy of the #14 pick, but he still absolutely is someone that you want on your team. And when I was talking Igor Olshansky, I was talking about what respected NFL minds think is the worst that Michael Brockers will become is. If he does develop his pass rushing skills which many think he will, then you have yourself a Richard Seymour or Calais Campbell.

Again, please show me quotes where folks are saying this because I have not seen any. Thanks!

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
GloryDaysRBack;4521659 said:
Everyone who doesn't know what they are talking about..all the professionals love him

'The professionals', as in the folks who brought you Cowboys Draft 2009.

Yep, how dare we question them!?!?!?!?

JBS

Reaction score
stasheroo;4521671 said:
'The professionals', as in the folks who brought you Cowboys Draft 2009.

Yep, how dare we question them!?!?!?!?

Who said anything about Dallas?

How do you even know Dallas likes him? You don't

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
GloryDaysRBack;4521680 said:
Who said anything about Dallas?

That's what I'm interested in. The Dallas Cowboys. Any other team can take him and it won't bother me nearly as much. In fact, let the Eagles take him at #15, then I'll know he's a bust.

How do you even know Dallas likes him? You don't

Unfiortunately, these are thr rumors that are floating around.

I sure hope they don't.

Not at 14 anyway.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score

Seriously? Everyone agrees Poe did very little on the field, anyne who wants him feels that way solely based on his potential and freakish athleticism for a man his size.

burmafrd

Reaction score

BS. You are not doing your case any good with ridiculous assertions like that.

SMCowboy

Reaction score
stasheroo;4521669 said:
Can you show me a quote of anyone saying that? Thanks in advance!

Again, please show me quotes where folks are saying this because I have not seen any. Thanks!

I don't have a printed quote but instead a video, but here is Charlie Casserly talking about the safest picks in the NFL Draft. Watch the top video on this link (Safest picks in the NFL).

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d82821dd1/article/hot-100-plenty-of-draftstock-movement-as-pro-days-wrap-up

Does he ever specifically say Igor Olshansky, no he doesn't. But he is just one of the first guys that come to mind, that have played along time in the NFL strictly as a run stuffer.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;4521504 said:
Just a point, anyone can bust. Remember when Bobby Carpenter was the "safest" pick we could make?

Yeah, I've heard the "safest pick in the draft description used on AJ Hawk, Aaron Curry, Robert Gallery and Tony Mandarich. That doesn't mean much to me.

marchetta

Reaction score
theogt;4520850 said:
Wouldn't draft him even at 45. He has no upside.

I disagree. He's the best run-stuffer in the draft. He's absolutely immovable at the LOS, unless he's double-teamed. And, even then, he's tough to move. He's young (~20). He came to LSU as a TE, and has put on over 70lbs, and is just getting used to his body. If he could develop some pass rush moves, and use his hands better, he could have a HUGE upside. At worse, we'd be getting an immovable run-defender. At best, a 3-down defender that can dominate against both the run and the pass.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
My problem with Brockers is that NFL games are won in this era by passing the ball effectively and preventing the other team from passing the ball efficiently. Brockers doesn't help either aspect. If this were 1978 I might think different, but this is is 2012. The Superbowl runs through Eli Manning, Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady, not Ahmed Bradshaw, James Starks and Danny Woodhead. I'm also highly skeptical that he's suddenly become this dominating pass rusher. I just don't think he has the athletic ability to be a dominating pass rusher. He's not going to suddenly become a better athlete over night. About the only thing he'll provide as a pass rusher is lining him up as a DT in nickel sets and let him stick his arms up to deflect passes.

If he's drafted by Dallas he goes on the pile with Spears and Spencer as guys who "do everything well but rush the passer". We've already spent way too many first rounders on players who meet that description. If we're going to take a 1 dimensional player, how about a guy who's great at rushing the passer? Why is that so far down our radar?

SMCowboy

Reaction score

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SMCowboy;4521724 said:
I don't have a printed quote but instead a video, but here is Charlie Casserly talking about the safest picks in the NFL Draft. Watch the top video on this link (Safest picks in the NFL).

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/0900...ty-of-draftstock-movement-as-pro-days-wrap-up

Does he ever specifically say Igor Olshansky, no he doesn't. But he is just one of the first guys that come to mind, that have played along time in the NFL strictly as a run stuffer.

No. I wanted the Richard Seymour reference. That's a guy who would actually be worth #14 overall.

SMCowboy

Reaction score
stasheroo;4521755 said:
No. I wanted the Richard Seymour reference. That's a guy who would actually be worth #14 overall.

Well, here is Greg Cosell's explanation of Michael Brockers:
Brockers is a development player with great size, long arms and natural power. When he stayed low and played with leverage he could be dominating. He also flashed quick and violent hands. Are there similarities down the road to Richard Seymour, clearly a better player coming out of college than Brockers? Will Brockers have the explosive strength and leverage to win the battle for the neutral zone? Will he establish a new line of scrimmage? The key for Bill Belichick is how impactful that kind of player is for other defenders. I can see Belichick looking at Brockers and seeing a raw, less refined Seymour; a piece of fresh clay that he can mold.

http://nflfilms.nfl.com/2012/04/23/cosell-talks-mock-draft/?module=HP11_hot_topics

Or the Sporting News's description of Richard Seymour
Michael Brockers (6-5, 322), LSU. Brockers’ combination of size, strength, long arms and athleticism remind some of Richard Seymour.

SMCowboy

Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4521742 said:
My problem with Brockers is that NFL games are won in this era by passing the ball effectively and preventing the other team from passing the ball efficiently. Brockers doesn't help either aspect. If this were 1978 I might think different, but this is is 2012. The Superbowl runs through Eli Manning, Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady, not Ahmed Bradshaw, James Starks and Danny Woodhead. I'm also highly skeptical that he's suddenly become this dominating pass rusher. I just don't think he has the athletic ability to be a dominating pass rusher. He's not going to suddenly become a better athlete over night. About the only thing he'll provide as a pass rusher is lining him up as a DT in nickel sets and let him stick his arms up to deflect passes.

If he's drafted by Dallas he goes on the pile with Spears and Spencer as guys who "do everything well but rush the passer". We've already spent way too many first rounders on players who meet that description. If we're going to take a 1 dimensional player, how about a guy who's great at rushing the passer? Why is that so far down our radar?

With Michael Brockers you are not drafting a 1 dimensional player, you are drafting someone who already dominates at one skill (stopping the run), and shows the ability to also be a good pass rusher as well.

Keep in mind, Michael Brockers is not a 3 or 4 year starter at DT, this is someone who added 70 pounds in college and is still learning how to play at his current size. His pass rushing skills absolutely are still very raw, but he has only played the DT position for two years. What he does he does strictly off raw athletic talent, not off technique.

But, as Charlie Casserly said, he can play the run in the NFL yesterday.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
SMCowboy;4521793 said:
With Michael Brockers you are not drafting a 1 dimensional player, you are drafting someone who already dominates at one skill (stopping the run), and shows the ability to also be a good pass rusher as well.

Keep in mind, Michael Brockers is not a 3 or 4 year starter at DT, this is someone who added 70 pounds in college and is still learning how to play at his current size. His pass rushing skills absolutely are still very raw, but he has only played the DT position for two years. What he does he does strictly off raw athletic talent, not off technique.

In his 3 years at LSU, he got some of the best coaching available at the college level. The LSU defensive coordinator produced a ton of NFL ready linemen when he was DC at Tennessee. The LSU defensive line coach is a former NFL DL coach with the Chicago Bears. I don't think he was just some raw kid running around winging it. I think he got more NFL caliber coaching in one year at LSU than Poe or Cox or Wolfe or Winn got in 3-4 years at their school.

I'm really afraid we're going to be sitting here next year wondering why our defense was so ineffective against good QB when we have so many "solid" players (all "solid" in everything except rushing the passer, naturally), and we won't address pass rusher next year either because we took a DL with a 1st round pick the previous year.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;4521547[B said:
]I wonder if this "interest" in Brockers is real [/B]or just a ruse put out there to try and get Philly to trade ahead of us to take him so another player can fall.

Word is Philly really likes him and if we don't take him, they will. Seen a video of him on ESPN or NFLN and they were asking him about elevating his pass rush game and he said he is training with one of the Philly Coaches (Dline coach? do not remember the coach's name).

So maybe, just maybe, this brockers talk is nothing more than Smoke in the hopes of having another player taking and leaving another player to fall to us.

One thing that keeps coming back to me is Rob Ryan, early in the process, saying he is only looking at DBs. I imagine he was probably told to shut it after that comment as we have not heard much of a peep since that time.

It's gotta be real.

He plays a premium position and a lot of scouts are high on him.

Also... We have let a lot of our DL get stolen by other teams in our own division.

Brockers, imo, is one of our top 3 options.

JBS

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;4521712 said:
Seriously? Everyone agrees Poe did very little on the field, anyne who wants him feels that way solely based on his potential and freakish athleticism for a man his size.

Im not talking about Poe..I'm talking about Brockers

JBS

Reaction score
stasheroo;4521695 said:
That's what I'm interested in. The Dallas Cowboys. Any other team can take him and it won't bother me nearly as much. In fact, let the Eagles take him at #15, then I'll know he's a bust.

Unfiortunately, these are thr rumors that are floating around.

I sure hope they don't.

Not at 14 anyway.

Way to chane the subject..we are taking about professional scouts.. Not just scouts in Dallas..pro scouts love Brockers..arm chair scouts do not..