Is Dak a so-called bus driver?

glimmerman

Reaction score
I'm starting with my answer......No ( two words.....his resume)

Sometimes we are lucky in a game and all he needs to do is drive the bus. Make a few plays when needed and don’t throw the int. Sometimes he needs to be more. He has shown he can do both. Does he need to improve, yes. Let’s see if he makes strides and see where his ceiling is.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thats an impossible question to answer. Troy sacrificed personal accolades and glory for the team/system. There is no doubt in my mind he would thrive if the offense was based around him. He was clutch/accurate/smart and had a cannon of an arm.

I can flip your question and ask you if the greatest rb of all time (Emmitt) and a top 5 WR of all time (Irv) would win a SB without Troy?

I think the point is a team concept can work - that it doesn't necessarily take a QB carrying the team for a team to win, and that there are assets a QB can have that contribute to winning without having to put up big yardage.

Russell Wilson leaned very heavily on Marshawn Lynch and a strong defense to win. Aikman leaned very heavily on a strong running game and defense as well. That's not to say either was a "bus driver" or that they weren't key figures in the team winning, just that they fit into an overall team concept to make it work.

blueblood70

Reaction score
I agree with your rankings more than anyone else I've seen on this site, however I believe Goff going 24-8 over the last 2 year is staggeringly good, even if Mcvay's offense has a lot to do with it. He has 8500 yards, 60 tds and 19 interceptions over the last 2 years, that's wildly impressively regardless of context.
I saw that 3-4 game stretch ending last year where Goff looked horrid, I saw his rookie year, thats why hes ranked with Daks group, did I leave him out? oops hes definitely in Daks grouping but Goff isnt better then that..

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
lol - first time I've ever seen a 282 yards per game (career average) referred to as a bus driver.
It's a fast bus, but he doesn't do anything outside of Payton's system. Never has. His thing, his entire career, has been to take what the defense gives him. He's not a guy who would have done the same in the environment that, say, Tony Romo played in.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Uh, I wasn't being all that serious, especially to go into a deep analysis on it.

Nice write up though. But I would not include Mahomes in that top list.
Remember the year RG3 had, then nothing, mostly from injury, but he never showed anything after his recovery. Let Mahomes have 3 or 4 years then se where is stands.
thats why I put the disclaimer on needing to see more from him but eye tests and his movement with quick release not getting him hit a lot hes eligible for Elite :)

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How much more surrounding talent does he need?

Winning regular season games and playoff appearances is fine but with WR1, league leading rusher , 2 Pro Bowl OL and top 10 defense is our expectations any higher that divisional round appearance ?

Can’t help but wonder how a more prolific passer might elevate and take more advantage of the supporting cast.
Therein lies the rub, just where is that more prolific passer? This is not a choice of Prescott v that guy. That guy does not exist at this point because none of the Tier 1 QB's that are considered prolific passers are available and going for a perceived one in the draft makes it even more difficult to surround him with talent because they'd have to give up the farm.

Aikman wasn't a prolific passer, he was deadly accurate but not prolific and he didn't need to be because the offense wasn't built around that just as this one is not.

All that are not satisfied with Dak Prescott need to stop dwelling on what they perceive to not be there and consider what is there because he is going to be the DC QB1. Those that call him inaccurate, that is an inaccurate statement, he has consistency challenges with his accuracy. And while I agree with Aikman that accuracy issues aren't easily corrected at this level, a consistency issue is different. I also take exception with those giving him an excuse with coaching, they haven't thrown one pass.

He can pull it down and use his legs, is built like a RB and has been very durable. Unlike the Eagles fans, our challenger for the division title, we do not have to be concerned with our backup QB. He's shown leadership skills since high school and once he gets the QB1 job, he instills confidence from his coaches and teammates.

The problem some have with Prescott is the same problem some had with Romo, the lack of a pedigree. What's this? An UDFA QB handing off to a 4th rounder? This is the Dallas Cowboys, that cannot be. Brady was a 6th rounder but he replaced a #1 pick.

He's won the East 2 out of 3 seasons and never had a losing season. He has done for the Cowboys what he did for the Bulldogs and his high school team, won. I mentioned that there are two types of QB's, those that lift those around them and those that need to be lifted. Initially, I had Dak pegged as the latter but now I am rethinking that because while he was the QB that took them to 3-5, he was also the one that took them to 7-1 and the division. Doesn't matter what any of us think about him, it only matters what his teammates think.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The games without Zeke and before Amari prove me right and you wrong.

Again, whats our record when Zeke gets the ball over 20 time?
If you expected him to win under those conditions then you are implying that Linehan was a good Offensive Coordinator and that Garrett is good enough Head Coach to win without a legit RB or legit #1 WR.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Peyton Manning was the least bus driving QB in the history of the national football league. Maybe Marino slightly outshines him. The major knock everyone has on Peyton is if he drove the bus even just a little bit he probably would have won more.

I couldn’t fathom how you came to that conclusion.
I’ll tell you. What’s your definition of a bus driver?

Aerolithe_Lion

Reaction score
I’ll tell you. What’s your definition of a bus driver?

For a bus driver, the offense defines the quarterback. For a premier QB, the QB defines the offense. Bus drivers, when they maybe have a guy open downfield and definitely have a slot receiver for 4 yards, they are asked to throw it to the slot receiver 100 out of 100 times, because the OC does not have faith in them to challenge the defense. For a bus driver, when its a running down, especially short yardage, they run it a substantially high percentage of the time. For a premier QB, they will often throw on that play, as the defense expecting a run actually turns the tides in the QBs favor.

A bus driver is asked to be efficient. A premier quarterback is asked to be PROFICIENT. Nothing is a gamble. "Shouldn't have attempted that pass" is not in the vernacular. "He'll hit it next time" is what they say when you're not a bus driver.

Rajveer

Reaction score
He is not a bus driver, he drives for Uber. He picked me up from the airport yesterday. Even though I was in a wide open parking space, he couldn't get his car close enough to me. :muttley:

Just kidding, I dont have a verdict on Dak yet. :)

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Didn't Bill Parcels say at one time, he just needed Quincy to be a bus driver, then then the bus driver QB drove them to a 10-6 record and into the playoffs.
I think fans that hate Dak the most can say he is far better than Quincy, and has done a lot more.

Who would you rather have driving the bus, Dak or Quincy? :muttley:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For a bus driver, the offense defines the quarterback. For a premier QB, the QB defines the offense. Bus drivers, when they maybe have a guy open downfield and definitely have a slot receiver for 4 yards, they are asked to throw it to the slot receiver 100 out of 100 times, because the OC does not have faith in them to challenge the defense. For a bus driver, when its a running down, especially short yardage, they run it a substantially high percentage of the time. For a premier QB, they will often throw on that play, as the defense expecting a run actually turns the tides in the QBs favor.

A bus driver is asked to be efficient. A premier quarterback is asked to be PROFICIENT. Nothing is a gamble. "Shouldn't have attempted that pass" is not in the vernacular. "He'll hit it next time" is what they say when you're not a bus driver.

So if Dak takes the team to the SB, is he still a bus driver or is he the premier QB because to get to the SB one must be PROFICIENT?. I bet Dak dis-likers will say the team got them there, and give him no credit.
Many Efficient QB's get to the SB.

Last edited:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Aikman didn't even throw for 3,000 in 2 of those seasons, and never threw for 3,500. Over that period he was 16th, 4th, 10th, 16th and 13th in passing yardage. Very ordinary. Plus he was 16th, 3rd, 10th, 20th and 19th over that period in passing TD's.

I do have to correct something I said earlier. I had said Aikman never had a 20 TD season, and he actually did have one 23 TD season. 1992 was his one big statistical season, and in that year he was top 5 in both TDs and yardage.

In any case, you are getting carried away trying to hold me to an exact comparison of Dak and Aikman's stats. That's ridiculous, Of course they aren't going to be identical in every category in every year. The point simply was there are factors other than passing yardage that go into what makes a high quality QB. That's it.

The offense was set up for Emmitt to be "the guy", from 1991-1995, Emmitt averaged 353 carries a year. That works out to 22 carries a game. He also caught 55 passes per year average, short passes of course, and assuming he was thrown to 70 times a year, he was the focus of the offense nearly 26 plays a game. There is an average of about 65 plays per game, so Emmitt was 40% of the offense. Troy simply didn't HAVE to throw a lot. By comparison, in 1993 Troy attempted 392 passes. Favre attempted 522, if Troy had attempted 522 passes per his y/a of 7.9 he'd had well over 4,000 yards.

Again, it's a case of stats not being the whole story. I can imagine what Aikman would have had, stat-wise, if he'd been in a high powered passing offense like the Bills or the Packers...

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Dakboyz want it both ways.

When Dak’s relatively meager passing numbers are brought up they say “oh, well that’s because he’s not asked to throw all the time; we have a ball control run-heavy offensive scheme.”

Then, when someone points out the fact the offense goes through Zeke, making Dak more or less a game manager they say “buh, no he’s not!”

stiletto

Reaction score
I don't care if a QB is a bus driver as long as he isn't driving the bus over a cliff exactly when you need him to take the fork in the road. Dak hasn't shown that he's a QB that will throw a game away. I'd rather not be a team that has to rely on their QB to win EVERY game anyways.