CFZ Is Dak contract biggest issue critics have?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
This issue appears to come up more often when criticism inflates with our QB. That we should be having more success with a QB who is paid the amount of money and portion of our Cap he is.

In comparison Prescott is paid similar to those like Watson, Carr, Murray and Cousins whose teams haven’t had anymore success than Prescotts.

I think most of us would agree that average to above average QB’s are over paid and all too often paid similar to the more Elite QB’s. At least initially when they sign. But is that these QB’s responsibility or the owners and front offices that pony up along with the coaching staffs which support it.

It’s a tough balance . Unfortunately all Franchise QB’s aren’t Elite . But when you find a serviceable enough QB to try and build around it appears that part of the process is locking them up before they can become a FA.

And this is where overpaying them is part of the process. In turn we often see the ownerships, front offices and coaching staff hype or justify their contract of their Franchise QB that he’s enough to win. Again, all part of the process.

Not sure why this burden is put all on the QB’s. Should they say, no boss , don’t over pay me.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
This issue appears to come up more often when criticism inflates with our QB. That we should be having more success with a QB who is paid the amount of money and portion of our Cap he is.

In comparison Prescott is paid similar to those like Watson, Carr, Murray and Cousins whose teams haven’t had anymore success than Prescotts.

I think most of us would agree that average to above average QB’s are over paid and all too often paid similar to the more Elite QB’s. At least initially when they sign. But is that these QB’s responsibility or the owners and front offices that pony up along with the coaching staffs which support it.

It’s a tough balance . Unfortunately all Franchise QB’s aren’t Elite . But when you find a serviceable enough QB to try and build around it appears that part of the process is locking them up before they can become a FA.

And this is where overpaying them is part of the process. In turn we often see the ownerships, front offices and coaching staff hype or justify their contract of their Franchise QB that he’s enough to win win. Again, all part of the process.

Not sure why this burden is put all on the QB’s. Should they say, no boss , don’t over pay me.

Frankly I think even elite are overpaid, Rodgers is paid much more and yet the results? GB looks like crap, they lose Adams at WR and that has killed their offense. No doubt Rodgers is one of the best in the NFL but NO QB can do it alone, none of them. QB position require a lot of help from OL, to RB to WR, as important as the position is they rely on others around them to be able to perform at a high level, you remove the weapons, you remove the OL and these guys are not worth much

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Can't read a defense. Holding the ball too long. Not passing with anticipation. Send a man across the formation and watch Dak's High passes. Behind passes. Late passes. Dirt passes.
Dak can only throw the deep ball(sometimes) and comebacks(sometimes). He can't hit a moving target in stride to save his life across the formation. And you wonder why KM runs these basic plays. Dak is why.

This clown demanded to be paid like the best of the best. He was offered a fair contract, but he demanded the big dog contract.
Now he gets the big dog treatment. Put up or shut up. He hasn't done either. His play is bad and talks way too much.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Can't read a defense. Holding the ball too long. Not passing with anticipation. Send a man across the formation and watch Dak's High passes. Behind passes. Late passes. Dirt passes.
Dak can only throw the deep ball(sometimes) and comebacks(sometimes). He can't hit a moving target in stride to save his life across the formation. And you wonder why KM runs these basic plays. Dak is why.

This clown demanded to be paid like the best of the best. He was offered a fair contract, but he demanded the big dog contract.
Now he gets the big dog treatment. Put up or shut up. He hasn't done either. His play is bad and talks way too much.
So, there’s no responsibility on our ownership, front office and coaching staffs for not seeing all of these weaknesses you have presented and still paying him?

If you were owner , you wouldn’t have paid him? Right

kskboys

Reaction score

And this is where overpaying them is part of the process. In turn we often see the ownerships, front offices and coaching staff hype or justify their contract of their Franchise QB that he’s enough to win. Again, all part of the process.

When they hold out for bloated contracts as opposed to taking a contract reasonable for both sides, then yes, they are a big part of the problem.

kskboys

Reaction score
Although the contract does matter and merits debate, it water under the bridge.

If he plays up to his contract and can string more playoff wins together than the 1-3 playoff record he owns, much of the salary talk will go away.
It's not water under the bridge as long as the contract is taking up a huge chunk of the allotted cap space.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
When they hold out for bloated contracts as opposed to taking a contract reasonable for both sides, then yes, they are a big part of the problem.
We release other players we don’t think are worthy of their demands or contracts. Why is the QB any different?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It's not water under the bridge as long as the contract is taking up a huge chunk of the allotted cap space.
I agree but this is what owners and or front offices choose to do. It’s all part of the league now despite how ridiculous it is.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Extreme importance of the position.
Yep

And if ownership , front office or coaching staff misevaluated the QB’s ability then it can be very costly with so much committed towards the Cap.

We had other choices. We didn’t have to be held hostage by Daks demands.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Although the contract does matter and merits debate, it water under the bridge.

If he plays up to his contract and can string more playoff wins together than the 1-3 playoff record he owns, much of the salary talk will go away.
Probably so.

But I still think it’s an important discussion.

Perhaps Daks contract is already worth it to Jethro without more teams success?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Talent is my biggest issue with Dak.

I wouldn't care 1 single bit to pay a QB to a big contract if they're talent is worth it.
If so many fans see or believe he’s not as talented , why do you think our ownership , front office and coaching staffs were all in or more sold on him? And willing to overpay with casualties to Cap.

USArmyVet

Reaction score
If so many fans see or believe he’s not as talented , why do you think our ownership , front office and coaching staffs were all in or more sold on him? And willing to overpay with casualties to Cap.

I suspect Romo's injury and wanting to avoid a similar time period between Aikman and Romo and the QB carousel Dallas went through had something to do with it.

Creeper

Reaction score
I think the criticism follows the money. The bigger the delta between the amount a player is paid and his performance on the field the more criticism he will get. Dak is a good player. He is not a top tier QB, but he is good. He is not $40 million a year good. Never was. But as I have said, it is not just the amount they paid him. They gave him effectively a 4 year deal and that means he will be due another contract in 2 years. How much will he ask for then? $50 million? $60 million?

His contract does hurt the team and if he doesn't play well it is especially bad because the front office cannot afford to put enough good players around him to compensate for his mediocre play.

If Dak had signed a 10 year deal, like Mahomes, I wouldn't be as irked by his contract. At least we would know that while Dak is overpaid early in the deal, it would even out in the later years. But in 4 years the Cowboys cannot spread out his bonus as much and they have to go back to the table and negotiate a new deal again. With Dak on a 4 year deal, it is highly likely that he will get paid more money over 10 years than Mahomes.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Unfortunately the NFL is a QB driven league and average QBs can have long careers in the NFL and ones that can do things will get paid. The NFL is littered with QBs that teased better things and they are relegated to a few entries in the NFL record books. NFL has had more Jay Cutlers, Jared Goff, Randall Cunnighams, than some of the most successful Playoff QBs

fansince68

Reaction score

Good post. Dak will be paid 49 million, Mahomes 46 million, Rodgers, Murray, Carr all in the 40-46 million range. If I'm going to give my QB "the bag" he better be able to get more done with less. He should also have at least one skill that makes him stand out. BTW, Watson is getting paid 52 million. I think Seattle made a smart move, traded Russ for a bounty of draft picks.