Is Garrett the problem with character issue players?

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Garrett can't seem to handle any mental make-up issue type players.

Jimmy got to Super Bowls by handing Charles Haley.

Taco
  • Taco failed because he was or became uncoachable.
  • He did NOT fail due to a lack of physical ability.
  • Dorance Armstrong does not have more physical ability than Taco.
Was it the Pick of Taco that Failed or did Garrett fail to make Taco accountable?

Has Garrett handled any character issues players?
- They kept Dez happy by force feeding him the ball.
- Zeke has only been in limited trouble.

Garrett as Head Coach:
Taco
Greg Hardy
Josh Brent
David Irving
Dez (eventually)
Rolando McClain
Jay Ratliff
Ahmad Dixon
Joseph Randle
Rico

Others that had issues:
Beasley - Complained on twitter while he was here.
Ryan Switzer - Openly complained to the media.
T.Williams - The 2018 move to IR seemed to be more of a flake out and an long term injury.
Kyle Orton - Faked injury or illness to get cut (I forget the details).

Garrett as the OC, not HC:
TO
Patrick Crayton
MartyB

While he may have had a attitude issue that did not help his case; Taco played extremely soft here. I defended the pick, mostly because everyone else hated it, but everyone was right.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
They all still the physical ability to play when they departed.

Dez still had ability just not as much as previously. They cut him because he became an increasing distraction.
they were at the end of their careers and didn't amount to anything when they left. most on this board were tired of Dez and his antics and he had lost a step...….he sat on his couch until NO lost a WR before he was called in.....

Hook'em#11

Reaction score
So, when will the players who don't have "issues" be listed that Garrett has coached?

Or, do we just sit on the 12 or so players WITH ISSUES, that HAD issues before coming to Dallas..

I mean, really? I am not a clapper Garrett guy at all. But, get serious.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I think Garrett is probably less tolerant but if the owner basically babies everyone, he's not going to be able to do anything about it other than bury them on the roster.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
It seems Garrett wasn't the issue with Taco particularly

Dallasfann

Reaction score
I think bashing Garrett has basically turned into what happens during a riot. People who generally wouldn't take part of it see everyone else doing it and just join in, even though they don't even believe in or care what they are rioting for. IE being a sheep.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Shut the F(reak) up. You don't get respect by posting moronic stuff on a message board.

If you want someone to avoid you then quit following them around and replying to their posts.

You should get a clue and realize that everyone here even the trolls know more about everything than you do.

How do you go through life and not understand who you are?

It's OK because everyone has the right to live their life but the hospital janitor shouldn't go around debating medical procedures with the Doctors. If he tries then they with laugh at him then get irritated with him.

Some people run 4.2 forties and some can't break 6.0 in the forty.

Some people have low IQs and some have high IQs.

Just realize that you're Rich Eisen and don't challenge Deion Sanders to a footrace.

Put me on ignore if that's not too complicated for you.

I don't know why I bothered to post this. I'm certain you won't understand any of it but maybe all the other people that you've annoyed will find it refreshing.
crazy rants like that... welcome to my ignore list

leeblair

Reaction score
Yes, and no.
Garrett needs a more dominant personality, but Jerry is the culprit.

Dre11

Reaction score
That's not the story he told me.

Mike Fisher reporting that there's a higher up on the Cowboys that wants Dez gone
u/Guac_Bowl_Cuck
Here's the article: https://scout.com/nfl/cowboys/Artic...nd-Up-116519608/Amp?__twitter_impression=true

And heres an interesting part about Scott Linehan:

"Am I being unfair to contemplate whether offensive coordinator Scott Linehan so disliked Dez' frank analysis of Dallas' creativity-free offense that wants Bryant thrown overboard?

Ah, Scott Linehan. Yeah, he's got somebody's ear here. I'm told that the dismissal of Frank Pollard as O-line coach, even though he was under contract, was Linehan-driven. I'm told the self-directed departure of receivers coach Derek Dooley was the result of his frustration with his supervisor not listening to him. I'm told the departure of QB coach Wade Wilson occurred for the same reason. And obviously, the hand-picked successor at that spot, Kellen Moore, is a Linehan Lieutenant.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Mike Fisher reporting that there's a higher up on the Cowboys that wants Dez gone
u/Guac_Bowl_Cuck
Here's the article: https://scout.com/nfl/cowboys/Artic...nd-Up-116519608/Amp?__twitter_impression=true

And heres an interesting part about Scott Linehan:

"Am I being unfair to contemplate whether offensive coordinator Scott Linehan so disliked Dez' frank analysis of Dallas' creativity-free offense that wants Bryant thrown overboard?

Ah, Scott Linehan. Yeah, he's got somebody's ear here. I'm told that the dismissal of Frank Pollard as O-line coach, even though he was under contract, was Linehan-driven. I'm told the self-directed departure of receivers coach Derek Dooley was the result of his frustration with his supervisor not listening to him. I'm told the departure of QB coach Wade Wilson occurred for the same reason. And obviously, the hand-picked successor at that spot, Kellen Moore, is a Linehan Lieutenant.
So the story I got was not true?

Reaction score
Will McClay & Co. are the only reason. Don't draft lazy, uninspired players, & you won't have to coach them up. Also, as soon as a player fails the Combine screening, you take him off of your board. If a guy can't even wait until after an event where he knows he's going to be tested to smoke dope, he's either too stupid, or has too screwed up priorities to be bothered with. You're just asking for trouble.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I don't know what you got if it was anything. I know what came from people who cover the team.
The people who cover the team do not always know what they are talking about. With that said, I'm not doubting what you are telling me. I'm just confused by the conflicting information that I've received. This isn't your concern, I'll sort it out. Thank you for your comments.

CowboyGil

Reaction score
Maybe it something to do with the fact that Jimmy has a masters in psychology.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Both Jimmy and Bill P were master motivators, and I mean on a personal level, not the "win the big game" level. I think that is a dying breed in the coaching ranks.

Both Jimmy and Bill would cut players like Taco at the drop of a hat too. Some players have legit talent that they will try to work with the player but Taco never shown to be that in Dallas. I bet Landry would have cut Taco after 2-3 years as well.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
HC's coach teams, position coaches coach players. HC's aren't babysitters.

I think Garrett knew the Booger players, Bryant, Hardy, Owens, and what not to do. Remember that scene in the locker room when Bryant was upset at a reporter and Garrett peeked in and right back out again and went about his business? Ya know who else did that? The guy that Bryant was asking for help, Rich Dalrymple. They both know their territory and Booger's and that's why they're both still there.

Booger takes such a personal interest in some players, the troubled ones, that he becomes the Daddy. Mean old Parcells trying to make Owens accountable, Daddy will fix everything and go to breakfast with him once a week and call him by his name.

Do any of us think Garrett was OK with Hardy knocking that clipboard out of his STC's hands when he's trying to get his players on the field? Then that being followed up by Booger calling Hardy a leader? Bryant walks off the field before the gun and Booger calls that passion.

It isn't about Garrett, it's about the owner having his way with his team. That's the difference between him and the majority of the other owners, they let the team be the HC's and not treat him like some substitute teacher.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Shut the F(reak) up. You don't get respect by posting moronic stuff on a message board.

If you want someone to avoid you then quit following them around and replying to their posts.

You should get a clue and realize that everyone here even the trolls know more about everything than you do.

How do you go through life and not understand who you are?

It's OK because everyone has the right to live their life but the hospital janitor shouldn't go around debating medical procedures with the Doctors. If he tries then they with laugh at him then get irritated with him.

Some people run 4.2 forties and some can't break 6.0 in the forty.

Some people have low IQs and some have high IQs.

Just realize that you're Rich Eisen and don't challenge Deion Sanders to a footrace.

Put me on ignore if that's not too complicated for you.

I don't know why I bothered to post this. I'm certain you won't understand any of it but maybe all the other people that you've annoyed will find it refreshing.
You literally told him you didn't care about his opinion like three different times in this thread. So you should know how dumb that statement is. I would tell him the same thing but he has me on ignore.

Big_D

Reaction score
He certainly shown he can't handle those type of players.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
This is a really long thread with a pretty simple answer. JG invests in guys he likes, and dismisses guys he doesn't, regardless of talent. He's not responsible for bad character guys, like Hardy, so you don't learn anything from them.

You learn a ton from guys like Marty B who are different but not trouble makers. Do we really think Randy Gregory would still be around if he had the same personality as Marty B?

JG likes a very specific personality in his players and moves out the ones who don't fit that mold. That has been plainly true for a long time. I mean, what coach chews out a player after they score a touchdown, like he did Joseph Randle?