Is it fair to say we lost the Switzer/Ward trade?

_sturt_

Reaction score
And the 6th rounder we gave up for Austin became G Jamil Demby, who evidently has made their 53-man... so, chalk up an Incomplete on that one.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Trades like that are made on what you know at the time. We had some surprise players show up on defense which changed the dynamics and need for the trade, but you cannot fairly judge that based on hind-sight.

While I am quite critical of the front office and coaching staff, I think the trade made sense at the time based on what they knew.

817Gill

Reaction score
We got Tavon who is a better version of Switz so he wouldn't even have made our roster. Ward had potential but didn't make it because of a stacked D-Line. Raiders traded Switz so they didn't really benefit. I'd say this one's a wash. And honestly, I don't think it will have any impact whatsoever on the Cowboys season.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'd say there were no winners in that trade, unwanted for unwanted. But Austin's eventual season in Dallas has to factor in. He was, in fact, the reason they moved on from Switzer in the first place.

Kaiser

Reaction score
And honestly, I don't think it will have any impact whatsoever on the Cowboys season.

If we don't make that trade we probably trade Switzer for a conditional pick at the end of camp - and maybe not even that because every team would know he was behind Beasley and Austin with no shot at making the team.

Jihad Ward had a ton of physical talent, it was a gamble worth taking even if it didn't work out.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Almost EVERYONE here questioned why we drafted Switzer. Seemed like a wasted pick, and it was.

That's sarcasm, right?

Surely.

I haven't had very many things I've said here become ground zero for very many attacks on this board, but I was among those pleading for folks to tap the brakes on how good Switzer would be... and to very little avail at that time.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
So effectively it's fair to say we lost the Switzer/Ward trade, eh?
giphy.gif

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Would Switzer have made the roster where Jihad didn’t?

OAK came out slightly ahead on their end. It’s possible Switz would have made the roster if he’d won one of the return jobs. If not, we’d have cut him in favor of Brown whose a better coverage ST player.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Trades like that are made on what you know at the time.

Um. I take that for granted with pretty much every trade ever made.

While I am quite critical of the front office and coaching staff, I think the trade made sense at the time based on what they knew.

Don't take me to be critical... I don't pretend that I personally would have made any better trade than they did.

Only bringing it up to say what it says... we lost that one. Perhaps there were better options. Perhaps there weren't. We'll never know... which also is taken for granted (that we'll never know what other options were or weren't on the table).

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Um. I take that for granted with pretty much every trade ever made.

Don't take me to be critical... I don't pretend that I personally would have made any better trade than they did.

Only bringing it up to say what it says... we lost that one. Perhaps there were better options. Perhaps there weren't. We'll never know... which also is taken for granted (that we'll never know what other options were or weren't on the table).
We're so glad you did.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Replying to the sentiment of more than one reply above...

All we KNOW is that THIS deal ended up with us cutting the guy we dealt for, and the other team at least having a future asset still yet.

To assume that we only had two options... keeping Switzer or trading him for Ward... may or may not be accurate.

Now... to be totally fair, yes, it might be better to say that until the Raiders make a pick with that 5th rounder they got from PIT, we still haven't necessarily lost the trade. So, given further thought, okay, I spoke too soon.

Last edited:

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
Even so, if Switzer turns out to be an All-Pro (which he certainly won't), we still didn't lose anything.

I'd rather trade player for player and lose out than player for picks and lose out. Switzer is replaceable and it will be apparent once the season starts.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
And the 6th rounder we gave up for Austin became G Jamil Demby, who evidently has made their 53-man... so, chalk up an
Incomplete on that one.

Traded a guy who wore out his welcome for another who did the same

Fair to say that your thread is turrible