Is it possible for Jerry to tank the year?

BlindFaith

Reaction score
How bout this for a plan. Is Jerry seriously considering tanking this season to make a run in 2015?

It makes sense if you do it right and Jerry is putting himself in a position to do it.

The cap situation next year looks much better. And if we don't make any big FA signings we could push the savings over to next year.

Then you trade our number 1 pick for multiple picks next year. Romo is on a three year deal. With multiple first round picks in next years draft we can grab our QB of the future and let him sit for two years learning, or just dump Romo after 2015. Heck, if we tank this year enough, we could even get ourselves the number one pick.

Then in 2015 we get our new coaching staff. They can pick their QB of the future. We'd have plenty of cap room, a solid oline, high draft picks. We'd still have Romo and a solid offense.

We spend the rest of the picks in this years draft shoring up the defense. Next year we solidify the defense and make a run with Romo.

I think we're not quite an 8-8 team this year. Why not just tank it all together and focus on 2015.

The Natural

Reaction score
If the players decide to quit on Carrot Top like they did Wade Phillips then Jerry wont have to do anything but sit back and enjoy the show

As for your theory OP, Romo will be 34 when this season starts. Its over for him man, its over.

BlueStar22

Reaction score
Say what you will but those guys play hard for Garrett. So doubt it.

bklyn1028

Reaction score
Not talking about Garrett.....He's not the problem.....Jerry / owner / gm is the problem. It is extremely hard to be an owner of a sports team (with other main revenue interests at hand) and be the GM on top of it. It almost never works out.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
On purpose are inadvertently like he has over the last, say, seventeen years?

And how would you tell the difference?

On purpose. At least going forward. Don't spend anymore money in FA. Try and ship off our number one this year. Pretty simple.

joseephuss

Reaction score
No, it is not possible. Tanking a season guarantees nothing to a franchise. There are plenty of franchises that get top 10 or even top 5 draft picks every season and still aren't any good.

wileedog

Reaction score
Won't happen. I don't think Jerry could bear the sight of a half empty Jerry-World in December.

Remember its not about winning or losing, its about entertainment.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Won't happen. I don't think Jerry could bear the sight of a half empty Jerry-World in December.

I do not think he believes it will happen. People just will show up for the modern art and cage dancers.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
It ain't over till the fat lady closes the barn door.

Our door has been closed. At least with Romo at the helm. QBs who are 34 who have no success at all are not going to just flip a switch and start becoming something they are not. I know it took Elway all those years to finally win it all but he had tons of success before then. And now Romo is coming off 2 back operations in the span of a year. Plus how old he is. Not a good combination. He's finished. You just have to ride him and Witten's contract out.

There will be no run in 2015. Start building for the future now. Meaning drafting in the trenches and building a foundation. Get some d line in here over the next 2 years and adding a few other OL pieces. As well as a few safeties.

People need to come to grips Seattle, NO and SF are the class of the NFC and we are far away from them. Start building for the future and getting pieces in place.

The worst thing possible is to sign overpriced FAs who won't help a team in our position and keep hanging onto the old guys we have. Let them go. It was a start letting Ware, Spencer, Ratliff and Hatcher go. Now let's see if we can continue on that path.

Reaction score
I think we'll have a pretty bad season. We can't do it all with just Romo,Witten,Dez and our talented yet injury prone Murray and Lee. I think we'll keep the cap open this year and do something next year when Earl Thomas or big mouth Richard Sherman are available. And sign Dez to an extension. Might be Romo's last year also,who knows,all I can say is I don't see keeping Romo for another year that we won't even sniff the playoffs and expect to do anything with him in 2015. There's a lot of question marks now but we had no choice but to rid the team of some of the big and aging contract guys.

NJ22

Reaction score
LMAO!!! Are you saying we haven't been tanking the last 3 years?!?!??

Hardline

Reaction score
Jerry did not sign Romo to that contract to tank the season. Nor is Romo playing to pick his replacement.