Is it time to do the unthinkable and pick another team to be a fan team?

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Been a Cowboys fan for about 40 years. Some great times in the 90s and late 70s, 80s. It’s been a rough ride for about 26 years now. I have never shifted fandom in any sport. I rooted for Seattle a couple times in their last run but never considered shifting. I don’t even think it’s possible. That said I am going to start following the Bills a bit more. I am from NY. Have family in that area. Always loved that fan base. Those folks are hard core. I think Josh Allen is a great person to root for. I know it’s a bandwagon move but going to try it. Will still helplessly root for Dallas but I am going to try to root for Buffalo too.

Could you guys do it? If so which team?

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
My man, I'm 30 years old and haven't experienced jack... consider yourself lucky. Find an AFC team for the time being and you can be sort of impartial and have someone else to root for while you sit back and watch the younger generation complain how Stephen is even worse than his father. Personally my AFC team is the Ravens.

Bigrandrn

Reaction score
Past few years I’ve side followed the Bills, Chargers, and Bengals…..basically cuz I liked the QBs coming out of college and I sometimes pay attention to that. I’ll tell u, they are a hell of a lot more exciting to watch this off season, Cowboys aren’t doing squat….very frustrating. Steelers have always kind of been a secondary team I watch as most of my fam was from Pennsylvania and Steeler fans. I like watching some other teams games, but I’m a rabid cowboys fan….just frustrating as hell, can’t put it together for 26 years. I watch a lot of 90s games and shake my head at this team the past 2 decades.

kskboys

Reaction score
Not for me, but you know Jerry, others have already started. This huge fanbase you inherited is started to fade. Take a back seat before it's too late.

kskboys

Reaction score
Been a Cowboys fan for about 40 years. Some great times in the 90s and late 70s, 80s. It’s been a rough ride for about 26 years now. I have never shifted fandom in any sport. I rooted for Seattle a couple times in their last run but never considered shifting. I don’t even think it’s possible. That said I am going to start following the Bills a bit more. I am from NY. Have family in that area. Always loved that fan base. Those folks are hard core. I think Josh Allen is a great person to root for. I know it’s a bandwagon move but going to try it. Will still helplessly root for Dallas but I am going to try to root for Buffalo too.

Because we haven't been a contender for decades, I often pick teams to root for on a short term basis. I would like to see the Bills win one, as well as the Browns. I sort of root for the Chargers a bit.

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I've been having an affair with the Titans for the past 3-4 years. They have a real Coach and a consistent product on the field.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
When I moved to Houston from East Texas, as a Cowboys fan, I though initially that "Hey, I can be an Oilers fan as well".

But the Oilers fans were so jealous they might as well have petitioned Adams to change the team colors to green. The local paper had a "call in" column and they printed some of the comments, and it was so comical at times. Like "Bum is a better coach than Landry because his record in his first two years with the team is better than Landrys".

Which as any Cowboys fan knows is such a stupid comment since Landry had a brand new team to start and Bum an established team.

But I became a Cowboys fan just by watching, at the time I didn't have an NFL team to follow. Now I'd have to "unbecome" a Cowboys fan first, and I don't think I could do that...

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Can't do it so don't try. What I would suggest instead is find a player or two that play the game the way you like and be a fan of them. I find it easier to like players on other teams and enjoy watching them play the game the way I wish Dallas players would. This could work for a head coach as well.

youngjerryjones

Reaction score
You just need to watch college football and that will translate to you liking other players like one of the posters here said. I've watched a lot of the young QB's from college and to see them translate in the NFL is very exciting a la Joe Burrow, Lamar Jackson, Herbert etc. I've learned to like a lot of players like this over the years and root for them personally...Saquon was a huge one until he went to the Giants lol. I think getting involved in the draft process has also led to me uncovering a lot of prospects and continuing to watch them throughout their years in the NFL a lot more fun than just watching 1 team on Sundays.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Please do, I would love nothing more than to see bandwagon fans leave. I don't base being a fan on the team winning or losing, I'm a Cowboys fan plain and simple.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
When I moved to Houston from East Texas, as a Cowboys fan, I though initially that "Hey, I can be an Oilers fan as well".

But the Oilers fans were so jealous they might as well have petitioned Adams to change the team colors to green. The local paper had a "call in" column and they printed some of the comments, and it was so comical at times. Like "Bum is a better coach than Landry because his record in his first two years with the team is better than Landrys".

Which as any Cowboys fan knows is such a stupid comment since Landry had a brand new team to start and Bum an established team.

But I became a Cowboys fan just by watching, at the time I didn't have an NFL team to follow. Now I'd have to "unbecome" a Cowboys fan first, and I don't think I could do that...

Same here moved to Houston and felt I could pull for Houston since they were AFL/AFC team while still being a Cowboys fan. That did not work out very well as you mentioned.