Is Jourdan the future at FS?

blueblood70

Reaction score
The new contract for Lewis never made sense to me. Almost everyone thinks we draft a corner at 10 or 44. If we do that the later immediately starts opposite of Diggs. That leaves Brown and Lewis fighting over the slot. In the past Brown has always won this battle. If he wins again we are paying a decent chunk of change to a #4 corner: so is it possible they will convert him to FS? As it stands Kazee is really the only true FS on the roster and he is coming off injury and on a one year deal. Height and weight of the two are almost identical: could the plan be for Lewis to learn under Kazee and start next year if Kazee goes elsewhere? Of course the team could draft a FS high in the draft and blow this whole post up but I’ll believe that when I see it.

you have to carry 5-6 cbs to play nickel , dime, and for backup depth for injuries' etc

not made sense to fan , not surprising but the DC FO and caches have an idea as to why :))

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I'm not saying it's going to happen, but it would not surprise me. His contract did make me scratch my head - it an awfully big deal for a player that is competing to be your nickel CB.

Plus, there is this:
Both Kazee and Lewis played CB in college.
Quinn moved Kazee to FS with some success.

Look at their draft profile:
Kazee - 5'10" 185, 4.54 -40
Lewis - 5'10" 195, 4.54 - 40

Kazee did play a few snaps at FS last year.

Here is a film breakdown:

Lewis is fat

boysfanindc

Reaction score
I am not saying that he is our FS of the future, but Kazee is 5'11" 174 and Jourdan Lewis is 5'10" 170...so I don't think size is an issue.

Meaning they are both smaller then you would like by about 20lbs.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Lewis' contract surprised me. I thought he was a goner for sure. So if they kept him then they have a plan for him.

Lewis hasn't proven himself as an outside corner so that wouldn't be it. And Brown will man the slot for years to come. So what do they have in mind for Lewis? Just a high paid 4th CB or future starting FS.

The OP might be on to something.

cowboyec

Reaction score
maybe.
i think the sky is the limit.
i love his toughness.
love his attitude.
he's a good'n.
:thumbup:WATCH.

cowboygo

Reaction score
IMO Jourdan Lewis is an example of a guy who could make the transition.

Everytime this convo comes up about a CB everyone always says "not anyone can do that, it won't work" but the truth is that some corners can indeed make the transition and I think Lewis might be one.

It's also worth noting that "making the transition" isn't necessarily a yes/no thing. For example, no one was super satisfied with Byron Jones at safety and everyone likes to mock the experiment in hindsight. But at the time we had like nobody at safety and Jones' combine measurables and intelligence were promising so for all intents and purposes yes, BJ made thar transition as far as Dallas was concerned at the time.

I won't get too far into it because I'm not an expert and you can find experts discussing it on YouTube. Suffice to say that I won't guarantee Lewis can make the transition but I think he's got decent odds and I think it would be an error to not give him a chance. Imagine if you've got a just fine backup free safety on the roster and you didn't know because you were insistent it couldn't be done.

Anyway going back to the OP, you need 3 good corners in today's NFL. We have one. If our pick hits we might have two but even a good rookie CB is just an average NFL player. Diggs looked incredible for a rookie but overall he's still a middle of the pack CB league wide at his age and experience level. So no, I don't see a problem at all with picking up Lewis even if the plan is to leave him as CB4.

Personally I wouldn't even put a position on him other than "defensive back" and then just let him fill roles on plays as his skill set allows. I would actually do this with everyone in the defensive backfield because the year is 2021 and I think handwringing about "free vs strong safety" or "nickel CB vs rangy 3rd LB" or whatever are all outdated questions. So for example I literally couldn't care less about the ongoing conversation regarding whether Neal is a LB or S. He's just a cover guy with tackle skills, give him his assignment.

Curious what @Future has to say about that last paragraph because he's usually pretty opinionated on team building philosophy
Byron Jones played safety in college btw. It wasn’t really the “experiment” like putting Lewis at FS would be.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is Jourdan the future at FS?
giphy.gif

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Earl Thomas is 5'10" as well. Not saying Lewis can play FS but his height would not rule him out.

ET 5-10 208
Polamalu 5-10 207
Bob Sanders 5-8 206

All short, fast and thick. Lewis is the first but not the last two that make up for the first. Nice short area zone player.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
That video is way too long, but those first two snaps are exactly what I'm talking about. That position - call it a safety or CB - is where he'll play. But not over the top.

Short area zone. Yeah. Call it whatever you like.

tm1119

Reaction score
I don’t think Lewis’ contract is a head scratcher at all. Its really 2 years at a total of $8.3M....if they believe he will be the starting nickel that’s actually pretty cheap.

The contact to question is Anthony Brown in my opinion...wouldn’t shock me if he ends up a training camp cut depending who gets drafted

Mr_437

Reaction score
I agree with others that Lewis has the mentality to play FS. The ball skills, football IQ, c.o.d., plus tackling ability...I could see the move.
I remember Lewis was quoted as saying Quinn told him he was going be allowed to run. Maybe that means from a deep safety position.
Jourdan said Quinn had a plan for him, so we'll see, sure sounded like that could be the plan. But, #26 wasn't giving up much more info.

Anthony Brown is the one who I can see making a switch also, AB actually has tape of him playing FS in college. AB has 4.3 speed to cover ground, but question is does he have all the intangibles that go into playing Free.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
The new contract for Lewis never made sense to me. Almost everyone thinks we draft a corner at 10 or 44. If we do that the later immediately starts opposite of Diggs. That leaves Brown and Lewis fighting over the slot. In the past Brown has always won this battle. If he wins again we are paying a decent chunk of change to a #4 corner: so is it possible they will convert him to FS? As it stands Kazee is really the only true FS on the roster and he is coming off injury and on a one year deal. Height and weight of the two are almost identical: could the plan be for Lewis to learn under Kazee and start next year if Kazee goes elsewhere? Of course the team could draft a FS high in the draft and blow this whole post up but I’ll believe that when I see it.
Good analysis

Ekspozed

Reaction score
if he was fs that means we lost chide who was a starter, and lose another cb in Lewis with a position change. That leaves us with Diggs brown and who? Robinson? Lol

jrumann59

Reaction score
I agree with others that Lewis has the mentality to play FS. The ball skills, football IQ, c.o.d., plus tackling ability...I could see the move.

Jourdan said Quinn had a plan for him, so we'll see, sure sounded like that could be the plan. But, #26 wasn't giving up much more info.

Anthony Brown is the one who I can see making a switch also, AB actually has tape of him playing FS in college. AB has 4.3 speed to cover ground, but question is does he have all the intangibles that go into playing Free.
The only problem I see with AB is he tends to get handsy which is fine as they are coming off the LOS but if you are 8-10 yards off the line that will get a flag