Is Micah Parsons the best rookie in Cowboys history?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Risen Star, Jan 11, 2022.

1. Blackrain

Blackrain Well-Known Member

3,850 Messages
    5,143 Likes Received
    Duane Thomas was a pretty explosive rookie and took us to our 1st SB win against Miami but had to split carries with Calvin Hill and Walt Garrison so his #s were not as high as Zekes or Tonys but he averaged over 5 yrds a carry

151 attempts and 803 yrds with 5 TD in a 14 game season about half of Zekes Rookie workload

2. Blackrain

Blackrain Well-Known Member

3,850 Messages
    5,143 Likes Received
    Totally agree and getting those numbers in the mid 60s with what was allowed to be done to the receivers made this twice as impressive . If he played in todays league with the current rules he would dominate like no other receiver

3. Macnalty

Macnalty Well-Known Member

3,436 Messages
    1,922 Likes Received
    I would put Zack Martin(consolation pick), Tony Dorsett, Everson Walls (not drafted (FA)led the league in interceptions as a backup after five games then became starter), and Micah(consolation pick) as the most memorable.

4. Macnalty

Macnalty Well-Known Member

3,436 Messages
    1,922 Likes Received
    He started as a DE and then a couple of seasons later on the DL where he earned all his accolades.

5. LACowboysFan1

LACowboysFan1 Well-Known Member

9,015 Messages
    5,747 Likes Received
    Dorsett came into a team that was 11-3 the year before, and lost by 2 pts to the eventual NFC champ Rams.
    Zeke came to a team that 2 years before lost to the Packers in the infamous "no catch" game and had a powerhouse offensive line, said by many to be the best in the NFL, to run behind.

Emmitt came to a team that was 1-15 the year before he arrived, and he still got 937 yards and 11 rushing tds.

So I guess Zeke's and Tony's rookie seasons were better than Emmitt's, Emmitt was on a mostly bereft of talent team. Based on what he had to deal with Emmitt's rookie season was better...

Thomas82 and RD21 like this.
  6. LACowboysFan1

LACowboysFan1 Well-Known Member

9,015 Messages
    5,747 Likes Received
    937 yards and 11 rushing tds, that's "not much"? The 937 yards was 10th in the league. The 11 rushing tds was tied for 5th in the league, the top back had only 14.

Can't agree with you at all...

ottawacowpoke and Thomas82 like this.
  7. RonnieT24

RonnieT24 Well-Known Member

8,715 Messages
    13,174 Likes Received
    You got the order messed up here. The Cowboys lost the Rams in '76 but then the Rams lost to the Vikings in the NFC championship.. And of course the Vikings got run over by Madden's Raiders in the Super Bowl..

8. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

48,874 Messages
    26,839 Likes Received
    Thank you!
    School these pups.

9. Motorola

Motorola Well-Known Member

4,519 Messages
    3,756 Likes Received
    Calvin Hill was NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year for the 1969 season - along with being NFL All-Pro and selected to the Pro Bowl.
    Mel Renfro led the team in interceptions, and the NFL in punt return and kick-off return yardage in 1964.
    My family was overseas for Renfro' s rookie season (Father was stationed in Germany).
    But I witnessed Hill's first year as 6th-grader in San Antonio.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
  10. JonesBoys

JonesBoys Well-Known Member

2,104 Messages
    2,954 Likes Received

Between him and Zeke. Zeke was the MVP of the 2016 season. Straight up beast that year.

11. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

48,874 Messages
    26,839 Likes Received
    My vote goes to Tony Dorsett, whom we stole from the Seattle Seahawks. Glad the Cowboys drafted him, or I might be a Seasquawk fan now.
    Dorsett gave Dallas a break-away speed runner to go with an already potent offense and became the first player to win a Heisman, win a National Championship and a Super Bowl in his first year out of college.

Micah has been the "War Daddy" Jerry has been searching for, and although he has had a sensational rookie year, the season's not done. If he continues his dominant impact on defense by leading this team to the Super Bowl, I will revisit whether he's the best rookie in Cowboys history.

I also have to give a nod to Dak Prescott. Forgot about what you feel about him now. However, few can dispute what he did his rookie year. Stepped in to replace a quasi-legend in Tony Romo. Led the team to 13-3 and the No. 1 seed in the NFC. Almost led the Cowboys to the NFC Championship. Gotta give him his prop.

So, right now, my "best rookies in Cowboy history" are ...

1. Tony Dorsett
    2. Dak Prescott
    3. Ezekiel Elliott
    4. Emerson Walls
    5. Micah Parsons (to move up to #2 if he helps lead the Cowboys to victory against SFran)

12. NickZepp

NickZepp Well-Known Member

4,307 Messages
    1,586 Likes Received
    Yeah Bill Walsh was doing his thing for years before that but the thing is nobody was copying it before that point. You have to remember Walsh was doing the same philosophy since he was coaching under Paul Brown with the Bengals for nearly a decade and nobody else was really doing it. When you get someone like LT that is wrecking everyone that changes things. Washington started going with quick passing along with putting an additional blocker in the back field for the run game with Gibbs. By the end of the 80s everyone was running a variation of the west coast/Walsh attack of offense.

13. plymkr

plymkr Well-Known Member

6,014 Messages
    8,117 Likes Received
    Yeah I'd say a toss up between Zack and Micah, with a lean towards Zack. Hard to beat all pro honors

14. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

63,258 Messages
    74,922 Likes Received
    Im pretty sure Zeke was All Pro but I may be wrong because I remember him being top 3 in MVP votes I believe.

Edit: Zeke finished 4th in MVP voting as a rookie. Which makes no sense they gave OROY to Dak lol.

Zeke was also 1st team All Pro.

Tyron, Frederick, and Martin were all first team All Pro.

I now feel silly for even defending my stance against some of the Tad’s in here. Obviously I’m right.

plymkr likes this.
  15. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member

55,424 Messages
    44,080 Likes Received
    It really is mind-boggling.....some of these folks

16. nobody

nobody Well-Known Member

8,570 Messages
    15,126 Likes Received
    I agree with some of these names...maybe not the order. LVE?! Seriously? Newman? Those two are jokes compared to some others left off. I'd replace LVE and Newman with Bob Hayes and Dak. There are others that are arguable, but even those are much better choices than Newman and LVE.

Pantone282C and Hagman like this.
  17. plymkr

plymkr Well-Known Member

6,014 Messages
    8,117 Likes Received
    Frederick was all pro too? Wow, I didn't know that. Man I miss Fredbeard. We really took a hit when we lost him.

CATCH17 likes this.
  18. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

13,015 Messages
    14,469 Likes Received
    Bob Lilly

End of discussion

Pantone282C and MichaelWinicki like this.
  19. IceBowler

IceBowler Well-Known Member

952 Messages
    1,362 Likes Received
    Tony D no. 33 was awfully "impactful" when he showed up ..

MichaelWinicki likes this.
  20. CT Dal Fan

CT Dal Fan Well-Known Member

8,172 Messages
    14,236 Likes Received
    All-time candidates (and I only remember from the early 1990's so this is going off things I have read and watched). Also this is going by rookie years only.

WR Bob Hayes 1965 (1003 yards, 12 TD's)
    RB Tony Dorsett 1977 (1007 yards)
    CB Everson Walls 1981 (11 picks as a rookie free agent)
    RB Emmitt Smith 1990 (937 yards)
    G Zack Martin 2014 (all pro)
    QB Dak Prescott 2016 (23-4 TD-pick ratio)
    RB Ezekiel Elliott 2016 (1631 yards)
    LB Micah Parsons 2021 (13 sacks)

To me it's too hard to pick a winner there. I'm thinking Parsons right now, especially if he makes a big impact in the postseason.