1. Read the latest Dallas Cowboys News!
    #dallascowboys · Cowboys Fan Zone

Is Micah Parsons the best rookie in Cowboys history?

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Risen Star, Jan 11, 2022.

1. Clarke82

Clarke82 Active Member

86 Messages
    175 Likes Received
    Bob Hayes changed the Cowboys from bad to very good. His raw speed made the Cowboys offense the most dangerous in the NFL.

Defenses were so busy trying to defend his speed that they developed the first deep zones which allowed the Cowboys to become a dominate running team.

The Cowboys never had a winning season until Bullet Bob arrived and from his rookie year in when '65 when they finally had a non losing season (7 wins & 7 losses) they would have 20 consecutive winning seasons.

I think Tony Dorsett, Everson Walls, and Micah Parson all are good answers but, in my mind Bob Hayes literally changed how the game was played.

In years to come, we might look back and say that Micah changed the game with his versatility but, today I would say Bob Hayes is still the man.

2. Scotman

Scotman Well-Known Member

3,801 Messages
    4,889 Likes Received
    You could 100% be right. I just can't speak about it first hand. It really was before my time and I've never gone back and watched those games.

3. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

28,504 Messages
    20,866 Likes Received
    Me neither. I was born his rookie year and really only saw him mid career on. I am sure Meredith and Landry and Perkins had a hand in the jump between year one and two. I am making an educated guess based on Lilly being a top 50 all time great and the significant improvement.

Scotman likes this.
  4. Scottishcowboy

Scottishcowboy Well-Known Member

224 Messages
    310 Likes Received

That screen pass in 2016! The movement and blocking down the field by the O line was special! I've a ton of Cowboys games stored on my TV hard-drive and I've re-watched that game more than any other, Zeke in general in that game was a machine.

On the original point, it's a split between Elliot, Martin and Parsons. They all became the best player at their position their rookie season and that it the deciding factor for me. I can only go back to the mid 80s as a UK viewer and even then, TV coverage was limited back in those days.

5. Hawkeye0202

Hawkeye0202 Well-Known Member

CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
    17,838 Messages
    32,554 Likes Received
    You could also say Zeke got help from the OL.........see how that works (lol)

6. RonnieT24

RonnieT24 Well-Known Member

9,164 Messages
    13,963 Likes Received
    Bob Hayes terrorized the NFL like no rookie in team history in 1965. He averaged 21.8 yards per catch and led the NFL with 12 TD catches... IN NINETEEN SIXTY FIVE!!! Dude was pretty much uncoverable.. He could have had 30 TD catches if the Cowboys had chosen to throw it to him more. but they only threw the ball 360 times that year. As much as I love Parsons I can't rank his rookie season above Bullet.. or maybe even Dak who if I'm not mistaken set the record for passer rating for rookie QB and Zeke who led the NFL in rushing by like 400 yards.. Parson did not lead the league in anything.

7. blueblood70

blueblood70 Well-Known Member

28,281 Messages
    20,373 Likes Received
    still zekes rookie year was better im sorry, this was zekes team for the first 3 years Moore now changed this but im not dak hater it was Zekes team.

Hawkeye0202 likes this.
  8. RonnieT24

RonnieT24 Well-Known Member

9,164 Messages
    13,963 Likes Received

Any list that does not include Bob Hayes amazing rookie season is immediately null and void.

9. Howboutdemcowboys31

Howboutdemcowboys31 Well-Known Member

4,656 Messages
    8,210 Likes Received
    I’ve only been watching since 98. I’d say Martin is the only one who would be in the debate vs Parsons.

Zeke was amazing but RB is the easiest college to pro transition so I wouldn’t say he was better than Martin or Parsons

10. Clarke82

Clarke82 Active Member

86 Messages
    175 Likes Received
    Bob Lilly was the best Defensive Tackle in the NFL for a long time but, his career got off to a relatively slow start because, Coach Landry thought he would be a better Defensive End. It was a failed experiment much like Randy White being played at MLB his first two seasons.

So, for the purpose of this discussion, Bob Lilly and Randy White two HOF Defensive Tackles were played out of position as rookies and had little impact.

11. WillieBeamen

WillieBeamen BoysfanfromNY

11,646 Messages
    32,103 Likes Received
  12. phildadon86

phildadon86 Well-Known Member

17,634 Messages
    24,055 Likes Received
    Not having Dak in the TOP TEN is complete disrespect. LOL. Wow. LVE over Dak? HAHAHHA wow

13. LandryFan

LandryFan Proud Native Texan, USMC-1972-79, USN-1983-2000

7,251 Messages
    6,043 Likes Received
    I would have to consider Tony Dorsett and maybe Everson Walls in the conversation. That said, the Cowboys were good before drafting those two and remained good afterward. When Parsons arrived, a whole new defensive attitude arrived. Yes, DQ had a lot to do with that, but as far as player impact goes, I'd have to give the nod to Micah.

Silver N Blue likes this.
  14. pitt33

pitt33 Well-Known Member

3,243 Messages
    3,811 Likes Received
    First offensive lineman in 40 years

Silver N Blue likes this.
  15. zrinkill

zrinkill Cowboy Fan

42,625 Messages
    18,367 Likes Received
    Oh and Roy Williams looked like a star his first year as well

Silver N Blue and Robbieac like this.
  16. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Well-Known Member

47,648 Messages
    31,956 Likes Received
    Parsons, Dak, Dorsett, Martin

UncleRico likes this.
  17. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Well-Known Member

47,648 Messages
    31,956 Likes Received
    Dak won ROY over Zeke so we can take Zeke out of the jar completely.

18. UncleRico

UncleRico Well-Known Member

518 Messages
    426 Likes Received
    Yeah. I would have said Dak\Zeke in 2016 until this year but Micah is already the best defensive player in the league and has changed our defense significantly.

Thomas82 likes this.
  19. CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninHouston CowboysFaninDC

23,939 Messages
    12,685 Likes Received
    good question.... could be a good debate..lets not forget about Taco LOL...

but probably Demarcus Ware comes close...he played on a team with less talent around him. had a great rookie season....had less sacks off course, but he was everything on that defense....

Larry Allen...but probably not his rookie year.....he came on in his second year.

Tyron Smith, he was dominant from the get go...not much stats on OL men

20. UncleRico

UncleRico Well-Known Member

518 Messages
    426 Likes Received
    How can you lol at that though? That’s not far off at all. It was the best season by a rookie QB in NFL history by the numbers and as voted on by just about every talking head

Scotman likes this.