Is Philip Rivers a hall of famer?

bigdnlaca

Reaction score
He only becomes a first ballot if he plays more than a year with colts and take them to a sb. If he doesn’t, it will take a while because there will be QBs and players retiring that will have a better career than him.

Rivers was great under Norv, he had the longevity, and was the face of the franchise once LT left, but his play in the last 5 or 6 yrs have been avg due to him not being able to take the Chargers to the next level.

I think the biggest knock on him was the fact that he couldn’t get the Chargers into the playoffs in 2010 when they had probably the best roster in the league.

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
His stats are light years better than Eli's, but without that hardware, it's gonna be very hard. He's obviously over the hill now.

In his prime, like many other QBs with no rings, he could've led the right team to multiple SBs with a few lucky breaks..
Just didn't work out for him

He's a bit like Romo, except he played longer and was more durable.

Career QB rating is 11th all-time at 95. (Romo's was >97, Eli was 84...a little worse than Dalton)
But with his average year of service being 2012..... time adjustment its probably around 100 (Romo's would be about 101)
TDs-ints was also outstanding too He's thrown for more 200 more TDs than picks...or about 80 more than Eli.

Add those two (rating and differential) up and you usually get huge success, but not always.

C42

Reaction score
Should, just not first ballot. Same with McNabb.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Probably will be. He's 9 TDs from finishing top 5 in completions, yards, and TDs. Also, don't think he's ever missed a game since becoming the starter and people like that type of stuff.

Whether or not he should, who knows.

Johnny23

Reaction score
Yeah he's going to get in. He's about to pass up Marino's numbers and if Dan Fouts is in I don't see why Phillip isn't.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah he's going to get in. He's about to pass up Marino's numbers and if Dan Fouts is in I don't see why Phillip isn't.

Can't compare eras. Marino and Fouts put up numbers in an era where the rules made it far more difficult to do so. Qbs are protected by more rules. DBs can't mug WRs anymore.....ect. The modern game is pretty much set up to favor Qbs slinging the ball all over the field. So, that changes the standard. You can't just go by numbers. You have to look at what they actually accomplished with those numbers relative to their peers of the same era, and Rivers never distinguished himself in that area. He's in the Tony Romo boat......... meaningless numbers.

If Eli goes, it will be based on his rings not stats. He won 2 Super Bowls. So, you can't put him in the Trent Dilfer/ Joe Flacco category of one-off runs. He played well over a long period of time and I certainly remember him as a Cowboy killer.

kskboys

Reaction score
Can't compare eras. Marino and Fouts put up numbers in an era where the rules made it far more difficult to do so. Qbs are protected by more rules. DBs can't mug WRs anymore.....ect. The modern game is pretty much set up to favor Qbs slinging the ball all over the field. So, that changes the standard. You can't just go by numbers. You have to look at what they actually accomplished with those numbers relative to their peers of the same era, and Rivers never distinguished himself in that area. He's in the Tony Romo boat......... meaningless numbers.

If Eli goes, it will be based on his rings not stats. He won 2 Super Bowls. So, you can't put him in the Trent Dilfer/ Joe Flacco category of one-off runs. He played well over a long period of time and I certainly remember him as a Cowboy killer.
Eli? He didn't. He was known for not playing all that well for most of his career. More like playing at an average level.

EST_1986

Reaction score
This is my take as well. Both were pretty good QBs, neither great.
a Two time Super Bowl MVP with the last name Manning is a first ballot HOF like it or not.

Rivers...ah I think he makes it into the Hall just not immediately

Flamma

Reaction score
a Two time Super Bowl MVP with the last name Manning is a first ballot HOF like it or not.

Rivers...ah I think he makes it into the Hall just not immediately

You're right, no doubt. I just don't think he belongs. Take that one freak play away and he doesn't sniff the hall of fame. How many hall of famers can you say that about?

EST_1986

Reaction score
You're right, no doubt. I just don't think he belongs. Take that one freak play away and he doesn't sniff the hall of fame. How many hall of famers can you say that about?
Not saying he's deserving he just had the pedigree in name and trophies. He would be in with just the 1 SB win based on name alone.