Is the Conner Williams experiment over at left guard?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
After this current injury and time missed, do you expect to see Williams back starting at left guard upon his return to health? I think between what I expect will be a much more physical presence in Su'a Filo, and the return of Conner McGivern, I think the team would be wise to pull the plug on Williams at guard and simply let him try to be what he is - a tackle. Let him work at being this team's swing tackle to replace Fleming, whose contract becomes unmanageable in 2020 anyway.

But I would end this idea of Williams growing into the role of starting left guard. He's clearly this line's weak link and there's little or no indication that's going to change any time soon.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Was not a fan of the pick. He was a "project" player that we used a fringe top 50 pick on

Scouts where worried about his short arm span and questionable explosiveness to handle NFL edge rushers. Williams is strange, he has NFL caliber tackle footwork but has more of a guard build without the guard strength.

He's basically stuck in no mans land

He's not an NFL player. Great story......nice guy.......but not developing.
Agreed. At best a serviceable back-up but even then if you look hard enough there's probably free agent signings that would be a slightly better fit

ClappingCarrot

Reaction score
I don't mean to jump the gun on here like most of you do, but it looks to me like yet another miss in the second round.

I don't care what drivel Stephen Jones keeps feeding us, we are NOT drafting well. Or at least haven't in a few years.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We have to see how Sua Filo plays out. He seems to be an upgrade in the running game but not so much in the passing game.

McGovern should get first crack at it next year

I agree with you on the run vs pass assessment. Williams seems a bit better in pass pro as Su'a Filo is prone to the occasional gaffes.

But in terms of the run game and sheer physicality? I don't think it's close. I think Zeke will be loving the difference.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’d still rather start Looney at LG but will settle for Filo Betto

source.gif

Carson

Reaction score
Some nuggets from when Sua-Filo' started games last season

Team Record : 7-1. One loss was the shutout against Indy
Penalties : 1 holding

Zeke rushing yards by game with Sua Filo
Philly - 151, 1 TD
Atlanta - 122, 1 TD
Washington - 121, 1 TD
New Orleans - 75, 0 TD. Had a receiving TD
Philly - 113, 0 TD
Indy - 87, 0 TD
Tampa Bay - 85, 0 TD
New York - DNP

He averages nearly 108 yards per game running behind him. Williams came back and started for the playoffs last season. Definite upgrade IMO.

Awakened

the Dude abides
Reaction score
Why is McGovern not getting a chance to play? Hasn't he recovered from his injury?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why is McGovern not getting a chance to play? Hasn't he recovered from his injury?

I'm curious on that as well. From what I've heard, he's well enough, but it seems that the current roster is so perfectly dominant that the team has no room to even think of activating McGovern from IR. One of the downsides of being so overstocked with talent I suppose. We'll just have to live with it.

On the plus side, they also have no desire to activate Noah Brown either from PUP, so we take the good with the bad I guess.

Creeper

Reaction score
Just a reminder that Ronald Leary did not look great his first two years either. I get that Williams is not looking very good right now but I'd give him another offseason and see how he develops physically. Maybe Williams is still learning the guard position after having played tackle in college. I am hoping McGovern is a better player but we have no idea. This is why guys like him have to stay healthy. So they can be evaluated. We know Su'a Filo has his own limitations. I hope theCowboys don't have to spend another high draft pick on an offensive lineman because they need safety and DT.

The other point I will make is its not just Williams. Frederick and even Martin have struggled. Its not the dominant OL we expected.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
After this current injury and time missed, do you expect to see Williams back starting at left guard upon his return to health? I think between what I expect will be a much more physical presence in Su'a Filo, and the return of Conner McGivern, I think the team would be wise to pull the plug on Williams at guard and simply let him try to be what he is - a tackle. Let him work at being this team's swing tackle to replace Fleming, whose contract becomes unmanageable in 2020 anyway.

But I would end this idea of Williams growing into the role of starting left guard. He's clearly this line's weak link and there's little or no indication that's going to change any time soon.

How well or bad Filo plays will determine if Williams gets the starting gig back this year.

Now in the offseason we'll get to see if the new guard can unseat him or if he gets relegated to backup duties.