Is the Conner Williams experiment over at left guard?

texbumthelife

Reaction score
He’s not that bad. A failed second rounder but he has value as a depth guy.

Why is it that literally every other position gets the, "give him three years" treatment but Connor Williams is a failed second rounder halfway through his vastly improved second season? I don't get it.

Tussinman

Reaction score
Why is it that literally every other position gets the, "give him three years" treatment but Connor Williams is a failed second rounder halfway through his vastly improved second season? I don't get it.
Because most positions (especially on the defensive side of the ball) you see little to no playing time in year 1 and possible year 2.

Where in year 2 of actual starting and he's not only playing similar to year 1 (even with the added offseason weight) but he's now injured again for the 3rd straight year.

Given that + if you spend a fringe top 50 pick on a position of need, you at least want to see some quality (no quality on a premier pick at a position of need is very concerning plus you now have 3 straight years of injuries).

CWR

Reaction score
After this current injury and time missed, do you expect to see Williams back starting at left guard upon his return to health? I think between what I expect will be a much more physical presence in Su'a Filo, and the return of Conner McGivern, I think the team would be wise to pull the plug on Williams at guard and simply let him try to be what he is - a tackle. Let him work at being this team's swing tackle to replace Fleming, whose contract becomes unmanageable in 2020 anyway.

But I would end this idea of Williams growing into the role of starting left guard. He's clearly this line's weak link and there's little or no indication that's going to change any time soon.

Last time XS took over we won 5 straight games and our running game improved dramatically. Im not sure how it timed with Coops arrival though, but I think that was another big part of the equation.

cowboyec

Reaction score
probably when McGovern is healthy.
gonna be fun to watch that battle.
honestly....he ain't challenging Zack Martin for his spot.

Creeper

Reaction score
Leary's 2nd year starting he was actually a solid starter (2014 season). That was after his 4th knee surgery as well (joint disorder is why he was un-drafted).

If anything an un-drafted Guard with 4 knee surgeries playing better 2nd year than Williams is a little concerning

Where the Cowboys picked him doesn't really matter. The point is, its too early to give up on him unless there is a viable alternative. Su'a Filo has his own problems, like stone feet.

Last edited:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
After this current injury and time missed, do you expect to see Williams back starting at left guard upon his return to health? I think between what I expect will be a much more physical presence in Su'a Filo, and the return of Conner McGivern, I think the team would be wise to pull the plug on Williams at guard and simply let him try to be what he is - a tackle. Let him work at being this team's swing tackle to replace Fleming, whose contract becomes unmanageable in 2020 anyway.

But I would end this idea of Williams growing into the role of starting left guard. He's clearly this line's weak link and there's little or no indication that's going to change any time soon.

Not when Su'a-Filo struggles with pass protection. The only way I could see it being over at guard is if McGovern is not only ready but able to handle the spot at a higher level. However, I don't know if McGovern is going to get a chance unless Su'a-Filo just sucks before Williams returns.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He’s not that bad. A failed second rounder but he has value as a depth guy.

Ya know. I may have to back track on that opinion. I just looked up his PFF grade. He ranks 39th at G which is actually not that bad. Maybe he just looks bad here b/c he's surrounded by much better players.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
After this current injury and time missed, do you expect to see Williams back starting at left guard upon his return to health? ..,

Garrett was talking Williams coming back from the scope in a "couple of weeks". Seems to expect him back. Besides the late game snafu, which I blamed on him, I don't see him as a problem this year. Note that though I blamed Williams, Frederick blamed the play call, and we have the quotes from a Vikes dlineman on that.

I think he has grown into the role of starting LG, and will continue to do so. They didn't stick with SuaFilo last year, and Williams is better this year, so there's even less reason to expect them to stick with SuaFilo this time around.

The long term threat to Williams as a starter at LG is Connor McGovern next year. Could happen, but I'm betting against it at this point.

There's no shame in being the weak link on this oline. And he may not be, as Frederick has been limited this year.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I agree with you on the run vs pass assessment. Williams seems a bit better in pass pro as Su'a Filo is prone to the occasional gaffes.

But in terms of the run game and sheer physicality? I don't think it's close. I think Zeke will be loving the difference.

SF has more power at the point of attack.

Williams pulls better, gets to the 2nd level better, and is better in pass protection. He's better all around and has a future here.

They should have considered SuaFilo at LG in short yardage, and moving Williams out to blocking TE in those situations. (And really, how hard is it to learn a few 3 yard routes and catch a 3 yard pass?)

But that would be treating players like they're not interchangeable widgets, or understanding that "better all around" is not the same as "better in all situations". Hence, not happening here.

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan

many things about cowboy's leadership wisdom is really ticking me off..unless we turn things around quickly we wasted this year

HungryLion

Reaction score
I think next off season has to be an open competition for the LG spot.

honestly, if McGovern wins the spot, Williams can be the swing tackle.

it’s not ideal to use a 2nd round pick and just get a swing tackle out of it. However, I think Williams would be a good swing tackle, and it’s probably the most important back up position on the team, given Tyron’s injury history.

Having a swing tackle that can also be a high quality back up at guard is a valuable commodity in the NFL.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
Hes not a natural guard. Maybe a career as a backup swing G/T is his future. Still valuable.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
It's funny how opinions flip flop every week. I've read that Williams was having a good year and our OL was the best in the league. I've also read that Williams is a liability and our OL is overrated. I've read that Jaylon Smith is quietly having his best year. I've also read that Jaylon Smith is a liability and might not have recovered from his knee injury.

Beaker42

Reaction score
We have to see how Sua Filo plays out. He seems to be an upgrade in the running game but not so much in the passing game.

McGovern should get first crack at it next year
Sua Filo is an upgrade in both run and pass blocking.

PUSHfold

Reaction score
I’d still rather start Looney at LG but will settle for Filo Betto

Seriously ***...Looney is pretty damn good and soon will be starting on another team. I don't understand why Looney isn't playing there at this point. I thought I understood why we drafted him but after not moving him to tackle and resigning Collins I don't know anymore. I'm ALL FOR drafting linemen on either side of the ball with our top picks most years. He's still only in his second year though, perhaps he'll figure it out or find the best spot for him.

Flamma

Reaction score
You keep saying that as if it's true.

Then you'll probably be surprised when he eventually gets his job back after the injury. Connor didn't let the RDT go past him because he didn't see him, he let him go because his job was to block at the second level. Travis would then seal off the inside. So the blocking assignment was done correctly, the ball was meant to be run to the right of C, not outside left. So either Zeke ran to the wrong spot or the OL ran the wrong blocking assignment. That's a communication failure between QB/RB and offensive line.

Chrispierce

Reaction score
Yes it is...it shouldn’t have been forced. He’s not a LG...watch what Xavier does to some guys. You’ll see a push forward instead of sideways stuff. Don’t buy the injury as him being moved down 100%,it plays as a convenient excuse to do what they know is right roster move.