Is the NFL doing Drew Pearson a favor today?

erod

Reaction score
Heckuva post erod. You may be on to something. And I hope you’re correct in your analysis of this cold case crime involving Drew.

When I was a kid, Drew and Tony Thrill Hill were my guys. It was #88 and #80 for me. But it was Drew that made me love #88.

I truly hope Drew gets in next year. It’ll be long overdue, but worth the wait.
Which brings up another point.

Wearing "88" is a really big deal here. You don't just hand that number out. Michael Irvin and Dez got it, and for some stupid reason, Antonio Bryant, who they thought would be worthy.

88 doesn't refer to Irvin or Dez. It refers to Drew. It's his number, and they're just borrowing it for a while.

Now I'm just getting madder.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Carmichael and Warfield were too as 2nd team.

I’d definitely rank Paul before Drew. Carmichael has greater career stats.

Drew will get in at some point.

I’d say Drew’s career stats has prevented him this far. And until recently wasn’t even considered one of the Cowboys best by not being in the ROH. Again, I think They will eventually induct him,

Look at Joe Namath and his stats, according to those he shouldn't be in either.
He was at the ultimate celebrity QB, and that got him in. And at the time the bar was low.
Today, he would never make it in.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
This is my sincere hope after stewing on this all morning.

Could the NFL being doing Drew Pearson a favor by not selecting him with this class?

I think it's somewhat anticlimactic to be inducted with 20 other guys. This seems like a "catch up" year for the NFL, choosing guys they really need to around to inducting because they otherwise may not ever find the "right time" to select.

The two guys on that list most deserving were Drew Pearson and Cliff Branch, and yet neither were chosen. Both were far better players than Donnie Shell, Jim Covert, or Harold Carmichael. And yes, even Cliff Harris.

Perhaps the NFL decided that Drew should be one of a select few, as most years are. One of the six or seven guys, not just one of more than a two baker's dozen. Drew needs the stage to himself to soak it in. This year will be more like an assembly line of speeches and won't have the same typical oomph.

Same for Cliff Branch.

That is what I genuinely hope this means, that Drew will get in next year with a little more spotlight. He's so incredibly deserving, and it's a sports crime that he wasn't in there 20 years ago.

He's the only guy on the 70s all-decade team not in. Silly. All-Pro three times, pro bowl six times, two championships, iconic plays out the wazoo, Roger's favorite target......

Everybody who watched football in the 70s knows who Drew Pearson is. Everybody. His first name is much like Walter, Roger, Terry, Fran, Jackie, Franco, or Sonny.

He's an NFL icon. Honor him soon.
*POST OF THE YEAR*

This is the best post you've ever made @erod !

Well said bro. :thumbup::starspin::bow:

erod

Reaction score
Look at Joe Namath and his stats, according to those he shouldn't be in either.
He was at the ultimate celebrity QB, and that got him in. And at the time the bar was low.
Today, he would never make it in.
Namath deserves to be in for preventing the dissolution of the NFL as we know it. It was important for an AFL team to win and prove their belonging.

To me, he's kind of like Jimmy Johnson. No, he doesn't have the boxes checked, but of course he should be in.

GMO415

Reaction score
Someone’s always left out. I think it’s what keeps the HOF so special. Not everyone we think is deserving gets in.
I think that felony DUI incident is the reason he's not in. His career is a HOF career.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Do him a favor? This was his chance to get in...

His only chance in these days is through the senior process... a process that he hasn’t been doing so good in to this point. Oh yes Drew, I forgot to also say that if you are miraculously named to be the senior finalist you are probably not taking Peyton Manning or Charles Woodson’s spot so you are two in the hole right there for the limited spots. Some favor...

Fletch

To The Moon
Reaction score

Wearing "88" is a really big deal here. You don't just hand that number out. Michael Irvin and Dez got it, and for some stupid reason, Antonio Bryant, who they thought would be worthy.

88 doesn't refer to Irvin or Dez. It refers to Drew. It's his number, and they're just borrowing it for a while.

Yes sir. Irvin is really the only other player in my opinion that deserves to be recognized as #88. I guess I never bought into Dez as much as I thought I would.

But Drew is the Cowboy’s godfather of the number. Only a certain few can handle the responsibility.

mrmojo

Reaction score
As elated as I am to see Jimmy get in I'm just as pissed to see Drew left out. Like Jimmy its the impact you had on the game, and Drew had that impact. The pass from Longley, Hail Mary, the 1980 divisional playoff catches against the Falcons, 1973 playoff winning catch against Rams, several other playoff and regular season clutch catches. Always seemed to step up when the situation was at its most stressful. he should have been in a long time ago, I don't know what he is missing........and don't talk to me about stats.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Reggie Rucker was 1st one I recall wearing #88.

The fact we even allow others to wear #88 diminishes its greatness.

We dont see anyone wearing #12 or even #33. Rarely a #74.
Those are more sacred numbers.

erod

Reaction score

Rucker was before Drew. He was irrelevant to the number.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
I was thinking this earlier also, wonder if they are waiting until next year, when the focus will be back to 4 to 6 players. Give each of them more time.

As to how will they induct what, 20 players and coaches this year. Will each have a presenter, as they will have to limit the time even more. Including the players that would going in regular. Will they just announce their names and a 5 minutes video / highlight type thing.

My Lord as long as it takes for 6 inductees, will this be a 2 day event. Lol

mrmojo

Reaction score

Timmy Smith, Nate Jones, Wendell Hayes, Chris Randle have all worn #33 since Tony. Only #12 and #74 appear to be sacred, although some scrub had #74 on in preseason a few years ago.

hendog86

Reaction score
Drew’s stats
Games 156- catches 489- yards 7822- tds 50
3x all pro 70’s all decade first team

Lynn Swann stats

Games 116- catches 336- yards 5462- tds 51
1x all pro 70’s all decade first team

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't see it as any favor and seeing Pearson in tears right now about being snubbed I don't think he thinks it is a favor

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Drew’s stats
Games 156- catches 489- yards 7822- tds 50
3x all pro 70’s all decade first team

Lynn Swann stats

Games 116- catches 336- yards 5462- tds 51
1x all pro 70’s all decade first team
Unfortunately and unfairly, Swann is in because of the “stats” you didn’t share... rings. But hey we can’t complain too loudly as rings got Troy in.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Unfortunately and unfairly, Swann is in because of the “stats” you didn’t share... rings. But hey we can’t complain too loudly as rings got Troy in.
Right

The lack of rings in 60’s , 70’s &80’s is what has kept more Cowboy greats from that era out.

Only 2 Rings in 13 NFC championship games including 2 NFL title games and 5 Super Bowls is why that Cowboys era has been snubbed in comparison to the two most represented teams in Hall of Fame from 60’s Packers who won 5 NFL titles and 70’s Steelers who won 4.

Last edited: