Is the NFL doing Drew Pearson a favor today?

Big_D

Reaction score
It's even worse that so many are getting in and he still wasn't chosen. The hall of fame voting process just seems like a joke at this point.

Kwyn

Reaction score
I was thinking this earlier also, wonder if they are waiting until next year, when the focus will be back to 4 to 6 players. Give each of them more time.

As to how will they induct what, 20 players and coaches this year. Will each have a presenter, as they will have to limit the time even more. Including the players that would going in regular. Will they just announce their names and a 5 minutes video / highlight type thing.

mans they are actually doing two inductions. There’s the main induction at the HOF game and then there is the centennial class at a later date that has all the rest, including Jimmy and Cliff.

so, I get the point made by you and OP

it will all work out ... if he gets in. Now that he’s a seniors committee selection though I’m afraid it gets more difficult

fingers crossed!

rags747

Reaction score
Look at Joe Namath and his stats, according to those he shouldn't be in either.
He was at the ultimate celebrity QB, and that got him in. And at the time the bar was low.
Today, he would never make it in.
Well you could say that Namath got in pretty much the same way that Jimmy got in. Jimmy turned the league on its head in 5 short years, other than that pretty blah. Namath got in because he forced the AFL and NFL to come together, he took the league by storm. Both highly deserving imo.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Along these lines, I'm glad to see Cliff Harris get in, though I never really thought he would. I saw both guys play, and Harris couldn't hold a candle to Woodson. The HOF isn't a popularity contest, but it's really hard to justify some of the decisions those guys make.

Sidenote, Hershall Walker was a great collegiate athlete, but ahead of OJ Simpson? Please! That's clearly a political thing.
I disagree with your assessment of Harris relative to Woodson, but like you, I doubted Harris would get in this far down the line. I'm glad he did. Very deserving. Hopefully Woodson will also get in.

On the Walker/Simpson topic, I was too young to remember watching Simpson in college, so I can't make a personal assessment, but statistically Walker holds up well in comparison, and did it for 3 years, whereas Simpson only had to years starting in college. As pros, however, I was amazed by Simpson. Herschel was an impressive as hell athlete, but nowhere near the pure running talent Simpson was.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Reggie Rucker was 1st one I recall wearing #88.

The fact we even allow others to wear #88 diminishes its greatness.

We dont see anyone wearing #12 or even #33. Rarely a #74.
Those are more sacred numbers.
I understand the sentiment, but it wasn't the number that was great about Pearson.

Realistically, if the team were to completely retire 8, 12, 17, 20, 22, 33, 43, 54, 55, 70, 73, 74, 88, then add some more along the way like maybe 28, 82 and others we don't yet know ... eventually there could be a problem having enough numbers to go around.

That was really the point of the ROH - to honor the appropriate players without taking their number out of circulation.

I do like that 12 and 74 have never been used again, but that really needs to be very limited

eromeopolk

Reaction score
This is my sincere hope after stewing on this all morning.

Could the NFL being doing Drew Pearson a favor by not selecting him with this class?

I think it's somewhat anticlimactic to be inducted with 20 other guys. This seems like a "catch up" year for the NFL, choosing guys they really need to around to inducting because they otherwise may not ever find the "right time" to select.

The two guys on that list most deserving were Drew Pearson and Cliff Branch, and yet neither were chosen. Both were far better players than Donnie Shell, Jim Covert, or Harold Carmichael. And yes, even Cliff Harris.

Perhaps the NFL decided that Drew should be one of a select few, as most years are. One of the six or seven guys, not just one of more than a two baker's dozen. Drew needs the stage to himself to soak it in. This year will be more like an assembly line of speeches and won't have the same typical oomph.

Same for Cliff Branch.

That is what I genuinely hope this means, that Drew will get in next year with a little more spotlight. He's so incredibly deserving, and it's a sports crime that he wasn't in there 20 years ago.

He's the only guy on the 70s all-decade team not in. Silly. All-Pro three times, pro bowl six times, two championships, iconic plays out the wazoo, Roger's favorite target......

Everybody who watched football in the 70s knows who Drew Pearson is. Everybody. His first name is much like Walter, Roger, Terry, Fran, Jackie, Franco, or Sonny.

He's an NFL icon. Honor him soon.
Whatever! Drew Pearson Hall of Fame selection is overdue, late, tardy, stagnated, deferred, procrastinated, delinquent, in arrears, prolonged, delayed, detained, and ******** by envy, backwardness, incompetency, subterfuge, ill will, and jealousy. Because he is....

THE no.88, Super Bowl winning, Hail Mary catching, toe drag swagging, Falcon playoff killing, Thanksgiving Commander murdering, crazy leg running, 3rd down converting, NFL baseball cap selling, and All Decade receiving Wide Receiver for America's Team . WHOOOOOOOO! (I channeled my inner Rick Flair)

There is and has been no legitimate excuse for Drew Pearson, The no. 88, not to have been in the Hall of Fame. He is FAMOUS the simple definition of fame.
Drew Pearson is FAMOUS and can handle the HATERS!!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Whatever! Drew Pearson Hall of Fame selection is overdue, late, tardy, stagnated, deferred, procrastinated, delinquent, in arrears, prolonged, delayed, detained, and ******** by envy, backwardness, incompetency, subterfuge, ill will, and jealousy. Because he is....

THE no.88, Super Bowl winning, Hail Mary catching, toe drag swagging, Falcon playoff killing, Thanksgiving Commander murdering, crazy leg running, 3rd down converting, NFL baseball cap selling, and All Decade receiving Wide Receiver for America's Team . WHOOOOOOOO! (I channeled my inner Rick Flair)

There is and has been no legitimate excuse for Drew Pearson, The no. 88, not to have been in the Hall of Fame. He is FAMOUS the simple definition of fame.
Drew Pearson is FAMOUS and can handle the HATERS!!

Fame is not what qualifies players in the HOF. That’s the silliest argument I’ve heard. Lol

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Drew Pearson and Lynn Swann were the first-team only receivers named to the all-70s decade team.

Drew is the only player on that team not to be inducted.

How?

Cliff Harris also named to 70's All Decade

links18

Reaction score
I mean he isn't getting any younger. Things could happen between this year and next. No, there was no favor, just another snub.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I actually think Cliff was more deserving and who I thought would get in. I was also hoping for Howley. Drew would be next.

Cliff could have been a 1st ballot.
Howley not being in is just sad.
I hope they don't wait till he's dead to induct him like they did to bullet.

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score
Along these lines, I'm glad to see Cliff Harris get in, though I never really thought he would. I saw both guys play, and Harris couldn't hold a candle to Woodson. The HOF isn't a popularity contest, but it's really hard to justify some of the decisions those guys make.

Sidenote, Hershall Walker was a great collegiate athlete, but ahead of OJ Simpson? Please! That's clearly a political thing.
Holy bad word Cliff Harris made it?????!!! I am thrilled

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Let me see, you are so good, that we will delay your promotion. Let us promote everyone else, and if we have time, you are next in line. Sounds good to me. I wish that I worked for a company like this.