Is the Spurs Seasonal 50+ Win Streak in Jeopardy?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Currently only 37-27 with a handful of games left to play, could they not even make the playoffs?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Kawhi is expect back now isnt he ?
He's been cleared to play by the trainers for a while, still he refuses to play insisting he's still not well. He went to another doctor for a second opinion but I haven't heard anymore than that.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
18 games left, for them to go 13-5, a 72% win ratio. when so far they've only won like 52% is unlikely.

Oh well, all good things come to an end...

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
They've lost a lot of games that they've had a lead in the 4th quarther. Kawhi's absence has been a disaster this season. Rumor has it he may return to the court March 15th when the Spurs host the Pelicans. The streak of 50 win seasons is over considering their strength of schedule and current win ratio. If Kawhi can help the Spurs avert breaking that steak then he should be considered a MVP candidate... the deck is stacked that high against the Spurs.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
He's been cleared to play by the trainers for a while, still he refuses to play insisting he's still not well. He went to another doctor for a second opinion but I haven't heard anymore than that.
He's expected to play this week. Not much time for the team to get some kind of rhythm going.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
He's expected to play this week. Not much time for the team to get some kind of rhythm going.

Realistically the Spurs had little chance of winning the title, even if he'd been available all season. The talent's not there.

Hopefully my Spurs can pick up a free agent and/or draft choice to help Kawhi and Aldridge...

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Realistically the Spurs had little chance of winning the title, even if he'd been available all season. The talent's not there.

Hopefully my Spurs can pick up a free agent and/or draft choice to help Kawhi and Aldridge...
Who does against the Warriors? The Spurs had them down 24 pts in the playoffs last year before #2 went down. They match up as good as anyone.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Who does against the Warriors? The Spurs had them down 24 pts in the playoffs last year before #2 went down. They match up as good as anyone.

One game does not a series win make.

Rockets are my pick to take it this year...

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
The Spurs run is done. They will not contend for an NBA title anytime soon.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
The Spurs run is done. They will not contend for an NBA title anytime soon.

With the current NBA, that's not true for sure, if Leonard returns and they pick up an Irving or such, they can contend right away, especially with Popovich as coach.

LeBron won one championship with nobody really besides himself but Irving, Wade won a couple in Miami basically by himself, Kobe won one with an aging Shaq.

And the Warriors won't be good for much longer is my bet, LeBron getting old, etc. Could see the Spurs coming on strong in a year or two...

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Yup, I already posted he's expected to play on Thursday. The nine games he did play, he was clearly not in sync with the team. I don't think the remaining season is near enough time to get into the rhythm you speak of but we'll see. Tonight I think the Spurs will get bludgeoned by the Rockets and then they come home to host the Magic on Tuesday. I don't see a win on their schedule before Kawhi's return... and even then I don't see "The Claw" saving the Spur's season. I'm a huge Spurs fan so it's hard for me to acknowledge what I see in the Spurs near future. Just keeping it real.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Kawhi Leonard now not expect back on Thursday.

http://www.nba.com/article/2018/03/...egg-popovich-talk-kawhi-leonard-return-lineup

They'll be lucky to make the playoffs now.

Sadly, yes. I really enjoy watching the Spurs play, they do the fundamentals so well, aren't a 1 player team like so many, it's not the "Get the rebound, pass to one guy who runs down the whole court and totally ignores the rest of his team just so he can show off with a dunk". Passing is part of a good team, and the Spurs are one of the few teams that do much of that...

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
With 14 games left to play, the Spurs currently own a 38-30 record. They can only afford to lose two games to keep their hopes of a 50 win season alive. Next on the schedule is the Pelicans tonight who already beat the Spurs two weeks ago. With teams like GS, Houston, OKC, and Minnesota still on the schedule and no savior in the form of Kawhi in sight, the Spurs will either sink or swim. But their boat has been sinking all season long so I don't expect a miracle. Popovich and crew have some hard decisions to make for this teams future. Aldridge and Ginobili with his "Grandpa Juice" have kept the Spurs boat afloat most of the season but these two aren't enough. I commend the efforts of Dejounte Murray and hope he continues to get better. Maybe he can talk his "Big Brother" LeBron to join the team next season. :)

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The San Antonio Spurs started the day outside the playoff and finished it with a two-game win streak and in 7th place in the Western Conference by defeating the New Orleans Pelicans 98-93.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Also have to factor in the fact that as you get closer to the playoffs, teams that are locked into a certain seed often rest key players (much as the NBA frowns on and fusses at teams for doing that), and teams that are locked out of the playoffs ease off so as to increase their draft chances, so teams like the Spurs, who have talent and play well generally, can get help to make the playoffs...

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
We suck donkey anus this year....and yet, we still have a shot at the 3 seed.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
We suck donkey anus this year....and yet, we still have a shot at the 3 seed.
3 seed? Are you sure? I thought I heard the 4th seed is now the best they can hope for. But you are right... compared to previous versions of the team, this one is not that good.