Is there a better player at 17 than Jamal Adams?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know what it would take to get him or why they would want to trade him but if a deal can be made for just the Cowboys 1st, would they not be foolish not to take it?

Even if they had to toss in some 3rd day picks, isn't proof that a player can play at the NFL level not an inducement?

And if they don't keep Jones, the best player in their secondary, how do they address that secondary?

I would seriously consider keeping Jones and trading for Adams, if a reasonable trade can be executed.

Let's be honest, except for OL, the Cowboys picks in the 1st round are a crap shoot. They're 11 spots better than when they took Charleton but does that make you feel confident?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would love to have Adams, but he only has one year left on his contract, so in a year we would be in the same situation we are in with Cooper now. If, however, we could work out a new contract along with the trade, that would make it more attractive. Still, it eventually could contribute to a salary cap problem if we keep trading 1st round draft picks for high priced veterans.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I don't know what it would take to get him or why they would want to trade him but if a deal can be made for just the Cowboys 1st, would they not be foolish not to take it?

The issue becomes his pending free agency. The guy you take at #17 will have 5 years of control.

shabazz

Reaction score
If our Defensive line was set, I wouldn't mind it ,but alas, that needs to be addressed as well and one superstar in the secondary isn't a luxury we can afford. When we splurged on Deon, we had the rest of the defense locked down and finalized. I wish we were at that point

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would love to have Adams, but he only has one year left on his contract, so in a year we would be in the same situation we are in with Cooper now. If, however, we could work out a new contract along with the trade, that would make it more attractive. Still, it eventually could contribute to a salary cap problem if we keep trading 1st round draft picks for high priced veterans.
Yes, agree.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
My question would be how he'd fit in this D as opposed to Marinelli's D. Is that worth giving up 17 and paying a huge contract. Put another way, what the margin between him and a mid-tier free agent such as Tre Boston.

Proof

Reaction score

2 years remaining and the tag shouldn’t be exorbitant for a SS. That said, I’m only dealing next years first, personally.

EPL0c0

The Funcooker
Reaction score
I doubt that NYJ settles for anything less than a 2nd rounder for him.

His 2020 cap hit is $7M, his dead cap is $3.5M.

I believe that the Jets can afford to be bullish. Heck, he could demand a new contract and it might be cheaper for NYJ to cut him. At which point, he'll likely go for the $ elsewhere.

FA at safety is thin and draft is not deep at safety. This is a situation that favors the Jets.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
2 years remaining and the tag shouldn’t be exorbitant for a SS. That said, I’m only dealing next years first, personally.
That's right - he'll have that team option year like Zeke had.

CWR

Reaction score
I doubt that NYJ settles for anything less than a 2nd rounder for him.

His 2020 cap hit is $7M, his dead cap is $3.5M.

I believe that the Jets can afford to be bullish. Heck, he could demand a new contract and it might be cheaper for NYJ to cut him. At which point, he'll likely go for the $ elsewhere.

FA at safety is thin and draft is not deep at safety. This is a situation that favors the Jets.

Id give a first without concern, a second is a slam dunk. Depending on how we structure the contract though can we afford to pay him 12 million or so a season? He plays SS right? They typically make a bit less than FS.