Is this the best WR trio in Cowboys history?

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I just remember just before half-time. Golden Richards streaking down the sideline against the Washington Commanders. Danny White's hits him for a touchdown. Come back from behind and win that game.

mmohican29

Reaction score
Mike Irvin is one of the best WRs in history. He is underrated by national media because he was not a freak athlete and he was not Jerry Rice but he is top 3 in my opinion.

I personally think Irvin is the second greatest WR ever.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Butch Johnson catch against Minnesota. I'm not sure if that would count under today's rules. The Immaculate Reception by Franco Harris did anyone ever actually see the play live. The ball definitely hit the ground first

Fritsch_the_cat

Reaction score
Butch Johnson.....there was also Preston Pearson and Golden Richards in those years.

Some Cowboy trivia, for no particular reason.

The "Calvin Johnson rule" was originally the "Butch Johnson Rule" because of Johnson's TD catch in the SB verses the Broncos.

Preston Pearson was the only Cowboy player on that '77 SB team that was not drafted or signed as a rookie UDFA by the Cowboys.

To make room on the roster for Pearson the Cowboys cut rookie QB Jim Zorn.

Golden Richard's punt return for a TD in the '73 playoff game against the Vikings was the first Cowboy's punt return for a TD since Bob Hayes, the man Richards eventually replaced, did it in 1968.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Funny, in some ways this offense reminds me of the Oilers days with Moon's run-and-shoot.

I was an Oilers fan during those years, before I was a Cowboys fan.

Drew Hill, Ernest Givens... those guys were fun to watch.

But I came around to the Cowboys pretty quick and always remember them playing the Commanders.

We have way more talent now than those teams had, but it was a different era.

Talent should naturally grow as population increases over time.
How could you not love Earl Campbell

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
oh yeah Butch Johnson too, I just posted Pearson, Hill and Richards, forgot Johnson, so it was a foursome, pretty darn good one
Golden Richards was there before Tony The Thrill Hill. I think he was drafted 73-74

Beaker42

Reaction score
Is this the best WR trio in Cowboys history: Cooper, Cobb, Gallup?

Better than Galloway, Glenn, Bryant? TO, Glenn, Crayton? Irvin, Harper, KMart?
I’m going to say after this season that yes, they will be the best ever.

joseephuss

Reaction score
they overlapped, both were on the Super Bowl winner for the 77 season

Yep, they did indeed overlap and play together.

Drew Pearson, Tony Hill and Golden Richards were never quite a trio. Tony did next to nothing his rookie year in 1977. Hill took off his 2nd year and Richards was traded away early that season.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
Which has nothing to do with the question being asked....
Of course it does. People are trying to compare the current WR's who have only been here for one or two years against legends some of which are in the ROH and HOF. This group hasn't done anything yet.

Dale

Forum Architect
Reaction score
Just the fact this group has potential has me so excited. It should be fun watching them write their story.

staubach24

Reaction score
One game together for the 3 of them is way too early to judge, but Kellen is gonna play a huge part in their success. Gallup is a true gem.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Is this the best WR trio in Cowboys history: Cooper, Cobb, Gallup?

Better than Galloway, Glenn, Bryant? TO, Glenn, Crayton? Irvin, Harper, KMart?
Galloway and Glenn were past their prime. So was TO, for that matter...though he was still really good.

I think this is the top 5.

perrykemp

Reaction score
Really hard to judge today's WRs vs WRs of previous generations due to the massive rule changes that have occurred in the past couple of decades heavily favoring the passing game.