Is this the best WR trio in Cowboys history?

KB1122

Reaction score
For the really old timers, who was the third receivers for Hayes and Rentzel?

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
love this group. Don't care where they fit in the discussion. Double one the other two are going to be trouble and that's all that matters.:thumbup:

NickZepp

Reaction score
It's hard to compare the 60s and 70s to today because the pass coverage had a huge advantage back then. And then we really didn't use a 3rd WR in the 90s because we gave it to Emmitt threw it up to the 2 big play WRs and if we needed to pass short yardage pass it was Novacek getting it. But Kelvin Martin was really solid in 1992 and had the game deciding TD to beat San Francisco after the long play to Harper.
Yep, they did indeed overlap and play together.

Drew Pearson, Tony Hill and Golden Richards were never quite a trio. Tony did next to nothing his rookie year in 1977. Hill took off his 2nd year and Richards was traded away early that season.
The thing about the Landry era is the running backs got a ton of catches. Screen passes were big in those offenses. Preston Pearson led the team in receptions in 78. Drew Pearson wasn't even 2nd on that team, Tony Hill was.

Preston Pearson was a WR/RB hybrid back then he would catch a lot of screens as a RB and then also play Wide out at times and make plays here. He had 89 carries and 46 catches in 77, only had 25 rushes but led the team in 47 catches. So he was pretty much a wideout by 78.

But in 79 Dallas had 2 thousand yard receivers then Preston Pearson with over 300 yards.

Butch Johnson's best years were 81 with 25 catches for over 500 yards and 5 TDs and 83 with 42 catches and over 500 yards and 3 TDs. He never got much over 12 catches in any other season in Dallas. Pearson was constantly getting 30 catches for his entire tenure in Dallas.

You want a weird stat from those 80s teams? Fullback Ron Springs led the Cowboys in receptions twice.

NickZepp

Reaction score
Butch Johnson
Butch Johnson was maybe a 3rd WR in the early 80s. Never had over 12 catches in a season before then. I'm not even sure you could call him the 3rd WR in 81 when he had arguably his best year. Preston Pearson was the 3rd WR for those teams for the most part.

NickZepp

Reaction score
The only ones even close are more recent ones. Bryant, Beasley and Williams are the most accomplished trio for Dallas as a 1,2,3 punch. Now 1, 2 WRs there's a lot I would put that are up there. Irvin/Harper, Hill/Pearson, Hill/Renfro just off the top of my head were better. But we need more time with this group. It's really only been half a season with Cooper and Gallup just had his first real big game. Cobb just had his first game in a Cowboys uniform. Give these guys at least a season first.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Give me Pearson, Hill, and Johnson. In an era that was not nearly as pass happy and far more difficult for wrs to put up numbers, they were amazing.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Anyone who thinks this trio is already better than Irvin, Harper, and Kmart must be 30 or younger and never watched them play.

NeathBlue

Reaction score
I'll take Zeke and Pollard over Dorsett and Walker.

Not sure I would, certainly if you’re taking them in their primes I wouldn’t.
TD and Walker should have been the dream backfield, but niggling injuries to Dorsett and he had a chip on his shoulder about Walker being payed a lot more than him, along with the fact the team disintegrated after Danny White got injured, meant it never was.
Walker the following season or so though was sensational and if he’d come straight to the NFL instead of the USFL, he might well be in the hall of fame now.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is this the best WR trio in Cowboys history: Cooper, Cobb, Gallup?

Better than Galloway, Glenn, Bryant? TO, Glenn, Crayton? Irvin, Harper, KMart?
Not yet. The trios you listed are really good, but IMO, the 70s trio of Drew Pearson, Tony Hill and Butch Johnson are as good as any we’ve had. It’s a crime Drew Pearson is not in the HOF, and I would rank him only behind Bob Hayes and Michael Irvin as all time great receiver in Big D.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
I’m going to say after this season that yes, they will be the best ever.

I dont think so. I mean, they possibly could be if they were together for more then a season but I think Cobb will be gone after this season.

JMO