Is this the best WR trio in Cowboys history?

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
For the really old timers, who was the third receivers for Hayes and Rentzel?

Dont know that there was one. Early in his career, it was Buddy Dial. Pete Gent and AD Whitfield. Teams really didn't go three wide back then. They ran more 21 personnel or two WRs, a TE and two backs. The TE was Frank Clarke, the backs were Perry Lee Dunn and Don Perkins.

Later, it was Reggie Rucker WR, Pettis Norman and Mike Ditka were the TEs and the backs were Garrison, Hill, Reeves and Thomas.

Reactions: BAT

mrmojo

Reaction score
Irvin, Harper and Kmart weren't too shabby for the 2 years they were together. But Pearson, Hill and Johnson were dang good, in non pass happy era, throw in Billy Jo, Saldi and Cosbie and that group was formidable.

quickccc

Reaction score
there's been some good'ns.
my personal fav is still Pearson,Hill,Johnson.
this current trio is climbing up fast,tho.

let's see how long randall cobb lasts or is productive long term wise.
but the pearson/hill/Johnson was probably the best 3 WR set we've had in our history.
TWill connected with Dez/Beasley brings that 3 set down (2014) . and Gallup has already surpassed TWill as an impact 2nd receiver.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't know. Pearson, Tony Hill, Golden Richards and Butch Johnson were a pretty dynamic group for their time.

quickccc

Reaction score
Irvin, Harper and Kmart weren't too shabby for the 2 years they were together. But Pearson, Hill and Johnson were dang good, in non pass happy era, throw in Billy Jo, Saldi and Cosbie and that group was formidable.

only problem was Harper would disappear too often in the reg season, but somehow show up and flourish in clutch playoff times.
Kmart not in Beasley league, but he was clutch in moving chains, and of course Irvin was a hall of famer.
it's so early but I get the feeling that Gallup is going to end up being much better than either Harper or Twill.

quickccc

Reaction score
best 3 WR set in Cowboys history:

1 - pearson/hill/Johnson
2 - Irvin/harper/k-martin
3 - cooper/gallup/cobb
4 - dez/Beasley/twill

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Butch Johnson was maybe a 3rd WR in the early 80s. Never had over 12 catches in a season before then. I'm not even sure you could call him the 3rd WR in 81 when he had arguably his best year. Preston Pearson was the 3rd WR for those teams for the most part.

Yeah if my memory serves me correct he ended up in Denver.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Is this the best WR trio in Cowboys history: Cooper, Cobb, Gallup?

Better than Galloway, Glenn, Bryant? TO, Glenn, Crayton? Irvin, Harper, KMart?
Drew Pearson, Tony Hill, Butch Johnson, and Golden Richards was the best group I ever saw.

Who were the last and only Cowboy WRs both having 1,000 yard in the same year?

Drew Pearson and Tony Hill 1979. Cowboys became the first team with two 1000 yard WR and a 1000 yard RB. This was almost 30 years before the "greatest show on turf".

joseephuss

Reaction score
only problem was Harper would disappear too often in the reg season, but somehow show up and flourish in clutch playoff times.
Kmart not in Beasley league, but he was clutch in moving chains, and of course Irvin was a hall of famer.
it's so early but I get the feeling that Gallup is going to end up being much better than either Harper or Twill.

I disagree. Neither guy was a #1 WR, but I think Martin had a little bit more to his overall game than Beasley. Beasley is purely a slot guy, which is a good thing to be in today's era of the NFL. It has become a specialized position and Beasley fills that role well. Martin could do a bit more to his game. His numbers show how more diverse he was than Beasley.

landroverking

Reaction score
Is this the best WR trio in Cowboys history: Cooper, Cobb, Gallup?

Better than Galloway, Glenn, Bryant? TO, Glenn, Crayton? Irvin, Harper, KMart?
I say no

Golden Richards Butch Johnson and Drew Pearson.

That said after a super bowl win I might change my mind.

quickccc

Reaction score
I disagree. Neither guy was a #1 WR, but I think Martin had a little bit more to his overall game than Beasley. Beasley is purely a slot guy, which is a good thing to be in today's era of the NFL. It has become a specialized position and Beasley fills that role well. Martin could do a bit more to his game. His numbers show how more diverse he was than Beasley.

if martin has an edge on Beasley, it was easily as a punt returner, which Cole just didn't have the miss' em ability and was far more a 'fair catch' guy.
but it's been universal from both fellow cowboy teammates and around the NFL in how Beasley was the most difficult slot receiver to cover, I have never heard
that as much with K-Mart. He was very good in his own right in that role, but I've never heard as much with the testimonies from DBs.

teams simply couldn't cover him with a mere safety, or even their 3rd CB wasn't good enough.
the only 3rd CB that had the best chance, most effective covering Beez was Giants Dominique Cromartie.

and remember when it finally came down to teams devising bracket- scheme with a DB and a LB , to have better chances of covering and taking Cole out of the game.
( and yeh thanks Linehan for not adjusting and counter-scheming ) the point that opposing teams had to force to devise and game plan vs Beasley, let's you know what
level he was as a slot guy, imo.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WHOA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One has been there for one game, one of one season and one for 11 games. I would start with WR1, is he better than Hayes, Pearson or Irvin? Not yet and he has a ways to go.

But before you even start comparing, look at the difference in offense today vs when Irvin, Pearson and Hayes played. They played when teams only passed 40% of the time.

It's OK to go overboard after one win, links, you have a lot of company. The Cowboys didn't beat a contender and they played at home. Still a lot of football games to be played, 94% of them.

Plankton

Reaction score
No

You forgot Pearson, Hill and Johnson/ Richards
And Hayes, Allworth and Rentzel

Hayes, Alworth and Rentzel weren't on the same team. Rentzel was traded to the Rams in the 1971 offseason, and that's when Alworth came to Dallas. They both wore #19.

aria

Reaction score
Jesus, how is this is even a legitimate question after one week against one of the worst defenses in the league? I can’t wait to see the hype train rolling after week 3 when we’re 3-0.