Is this the best WR trio in Cowboys history?

erod

Reaction score
Kelvin Edwards, Everett Gay, and Mike Sheppard.

Lest we're not forget.

Plankton

Reaction score
For the really old timers, who was the third receivers for Hayes and Rentzel?

Back then, teams typically didn't use three receiver sets. They would keep the tight ends and running backs involved. For Dallas, it would have been a combo of Pettis Norman at TE and Dan Reeves at RB on passing downs. If there were a third receiver to be used, at least until 1966 it would have been Frank Clarke.

catiii

Reaction score
Is this the best WR trio in Cowboys history: Cooper, Cobb, Gallup?

Better than Galloway, Glenn, Bryant? TO, Glenn, Crayton? Irvin, Harper, KMart?
WOW - although it was a different game then, these new guys, if they aren't already and it's arguable, that they certainly can be as good!!!!
I think on any given day they can catch the same passes those earlier guys caught and IMO we've already seen it, so it is arguable that YES they ARE just as good!! Give them the ball!! Just do it!!
SB baby!!!! :flagwave:

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score

Galloway, Glenn, Bryant? WTH Did ANY of these guys play TOGETHER?

If we're talking TRIO... yes. With that said they have a lot of playing and winning to do. Based on potential, experience, metrics, ability etc.. I love Tavon as a #4 option. That's a solid WR core.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Who was the 3rd WR with Pearson and Hill?
Butch Johnson was there part of the time, but I don't think there were many years where they were together at or near the top of their game. I think Butch Johnson's best years were about the time Pearson was fading near the end of his career.

JD_KaPow

jimnabby
Reaction score
Golden Richards. Or Butch Johnson. Take your pick.
I'll pick the one who actually played with them: Johnson. Richards caught 17 passes in Hill's rookie season before he left for (was traded to?) the Bears.

links18

Reaction score
Galloway, Glenn, Bryant? WTH Did ANY of these guys play TOGETHER?

Yes, Joey Galloway, Terry Glenn, Antonio Bryant were the receivers Parcells' first year in 2003. They were considered the strength of the offense. They had Quincy throwing to them though.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Hayes, Alworth and Rentzel weren't on the same team. Rentzel was traded to the Rams in the 1971 offseason, and that's when Alworth came to Dallas. They both wore #19.
I know , I meant Hayes and Alworth/ Rentzel. Thanks

Proof

Reaction score
Dez, miles and Robinson:muttley:

But it should be TO, Galloway and Glenn we just didn’t get enough of it :oops:

NickZepp

Reaction score
Butch Johnson's stats

1976 5 catches 84 yards, 2 TDs
1977 12 catches 135 yards, 1 TD
1978 12 catches 155 yards
1979 6 catches 105 yards 1 TD
1980 19 catches 263 yards 4 TDs
1981 25 catches 552 yards 5 TDs
1982 12 catches 269 yards 3 TDs(only 8 games that year so these stats are actually really solid)
1983 44 catches 561 yards, 3 TDs

Now his numbers the last 3/4 years were pretty good overall. But before then he was a scrub for the most part. I think people remember him because he did have the "catch" in the Super Bowl that shouldn't have been called that. And he had a TD in the Super Bowl against Pittsburgh but he really didn't put up good numbers till Danny White took over.

Preston Pearson had more catches than Butch most of these years.

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score

I might vote for Drew Pearson, Tony Hill and Butch Johnson as the best trio in Cowboys history

Northern_Cowboy

Reaction score
Butch Johnson's stats

1976 5 catches 84 yards, 2 TDs
1977 12 catches 135 yards, 1 TD
1978 12 catches 155 yards
1979 6 catches 105 yards 1 TD
1980 19 catches 263 yards 4 TDs
1981 25 catches 552 yards 5 TDs
1982 12 catches 269 yards 3 TDs(only 8 games that year so these stats are actually really solid)
1983 44 catches 561 yards, 3 TDs

Now his numbers the last 3/4 years were pretty good overall. But before then he was a scrub for the most part. I think people remember him because he did have the "catch" in the Super Bowl that shouldn't have been called that. And he had a TD in the Super Bowl against Pittsburgh but he really didn't put up good numbers till Danny White took over.

Preston Pearson had more catches than Butch most of these years.

You need to remeber that in the 70's and 80's you did not see as many 3 wide receiver sets as you do today and a 50-60 catch season was considered fantastic so being a 3rd receiver was not going to get you many looks in a game also back then receivers got mauled by defenders, rules were not the same as today

Manster68

Reaction score

I'll still take Pearson, Hill, Butch Johnson, & Doug Cosbie.

endersdragon

Reaction score
To be fair, you didn't use to have all that many 3 WR sets like you do now. So if you want to go with an old school one go Irvin, Harper, and Jay... and if you do that, not yet. As the question stands, Irvin, Harper, and Martin were only together 2 years and neither of the latter two were all that productive those two years, maybe 1992 you could make an argument for but even that year Martin had a shadow of the production that Jay did.

kskboys

Reaction score

Waaaayyyyyy too soon to ask this question.

Honest question, why are you asking this question so soon?

NickZepp

Reaction score
You need to remeber that in the 70's and 80's you did not see as many 3 wide receiver sets as you do today and a 50-60 catch season was considered fantastic so being a 3rd receiver was not going to get you many looks in a game also back then receivers got mauled by defenders, rules were not the same as today
True but in most of those years we would throw it to Preston Pearson as a wide out more than we would Butch Johnson. Yes in some of that particularly 77 Preston got passes on screens as a RB since he did play that a lot. But by 79 he moved to WR pretty much full time.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Probly going to need to play more than 1 game together before we say that. Lol