Video: Is Tony Romo a Hall of Famer? Jesse Holley says

Howboutdemcowboys31

Reaction score
On the career timeline (Dak's year 4/5 vs Romo's year 4/5), Dak is much much better than Romo and it's not even close. Dak is on track to eclipse Romo's legacy and estinguish the remembrance of it from all but the most staunch Romo snowflakes.

Hey I hope he does break Romo's records that's great for the team. I just don't think he is as pure of a passer as Tony. Doesn't mean he can't or won't eventually break records

erod

Reaction score
If you keep Romo out, you've got to explain how Phil Simms and Warren Moon got in.

There are plenty of others in that were lesser players, too.

Romo's amazing story, his signature plays, and the ridiculous circus tent he had to play under is what made him a transcendent player.

Had he played in a legitimately run organization, he'd probably be first ballot.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Garrett went 40-24 and won the division 2 out of 4 years without Romo.

The Cowboys found another very good quarterback and won the division every other year, meaning they played a weaker schedule and primarily beat up on bad teams. Don't forget the 2015 season. With a very good quarterback, Garrett can get a team to the playoffs (that's been proven), but the flaws in his coaching show up against teams with just as much talent. He gets outcoached.

I don't know where Prescott will finish as a quarterback as far as his career numbers/success goes, but having McCarthy as coach gives him a chance to go where Garrett's coaching couldn't take the team.

gimmesix

Reaction score
If you keep Romo out, you've got to explain how Phil Simms and Warren Moon got in.

Romo's amazing story, his signature plays, and the ridiculous circus tent he had to play under is what made him a transcendent player.

Had he played in a legitimately run organization, he'd probably be first ballot.

I think longevity was on their side. Romo's year-to-year numbers are impressive, but he doesn't have the bulk quantity needed, so he would need more playoff success in the eyes of the voters, I believe. Not necessarily Super Bowls, but probably at least three or four NFC Championship Games.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Dan Fouts is in the Hall with a similar playoff record
Fouts played 15 years, was passing leader 4 straight years, was first player in history to have 3 straight seasons of 4000 yards, led the league in TDs twice, was league MVP with multiple all-pro seasons, went to 2 championship games....... none of those things Romo can claim

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Simms was a SB MVP with the highest completion % in SB history and Romo never even sniffed a NFCCG and the decision making for Romo was not HOF caliber. When he screwed up, he really screwed up.

Moon got credit for his CFL time and amassed the most passing yards in football history and did take his team further than Romo ever took his.

Romo was fun to watch but only part of that was his signature plays. He was Favre light. It was fun to watch because you didn't know what to expect but can you name a HOF moment for Romo? That night game Favre played after losing his Dad was a HOF moment.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Simms was a SB MVP with the highest completion % in SB history and Romo never even sniffed a NFCCG and the decision making for Romo was not HOF caliber. When he screwed up, he really screwed up.

Moon got credit for his CFL time and amassed the most passing yards in football history and did take his team further than Romo ever took his.

Romo was fun to watch but only part of that was his signature plays. He was Favre light. It was fun to watch because you didn't know what to expect but can you name a HOF moment for Romo? That night game Favre played after losing his Dad was a HOF moment.
Again, I don't think Romo makes HOF.

But I really don't think Phil Simms was remotely as good as Romo.
Just not even close.... at all.
He did have a nice SB game though!
In general, nice to play on a team that has a totally dominant defense where you don't feel pressure to score every possession. Phil had that.

For perspective, he played in 10 playoff games and did not throw for a single TD in 6 of them.
Think about how impossible it'd be to win in that situation for Tony. Zero chance.

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Again, I don't think Romo makes HOF.

But I really don't think Phil Simms was remotely as good as Romo.
Just not even close.... at all.
He did have a nice SB game though!
In general, nice to play on a team that has a totally dominant defense where you don't feel pressure to score every possession. Phil had that.

For perspective, he played in 10 playoff games and did not throw for a single TD in 6 of them.
Think about how impossible it'd be to win in that situation for Tony. Zero chance.
If he'd played for the teams Simms played for, he could have but there was a very good reason that Parcells went after other QB's instead of putting Romo in at the QB1 position until he had no choice left. Simms could play in that position because he understood his job, Romo was too loose a cannon and eventually would do his Favre thing.

One thing the Rooters used to reference that I did buy into was the Romo "glitch". It was there, it was one of the main reasons he didn't get a scholarship to a major school, invited to the Combine as a QB, get drafted or get the starting job in the first few years.

I think he improved and became as good as he could be but not HOF status, imo. The other thing that I did not buy was putting the blame on Garrett. We will never know how many plays were changed by Romo but for most of his career, he got played by DC's into doing exactly what they wanted. The Skins game with 11 run plays wasn't Garrett, not in his DNA.

He was a good QB but the only reason anyone would have a discussion about him in the HOF is because he was the Dallas Cowboys QB. Same as all of this Prescott watch crap going on now.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As far as Simms making the HOF, that's easy, where did he play? Both Luksa and Gossage, the HOF committee members from this market, have said there is definitely a Northeast voters prejudice against Dallas players.

Back in the day, they coined the word "finesse" to describe Dallas as a white collar team, rather have pretty plays than play hardball, even after that Ice Bowl, that grew even larger. A lot of that had to do with being the whitest collar market in the league and the rest was Landry's demeanor as a businessman and his love of the computer applied to football.

The fact that Chick Noll was an oenophile and had a collection of over 2K bottles of wine in his cellar at a time when jug wine ruled in the US was lost because he was in Pittsburgh, the poster city for blue collar.

Romo will have an uphill climb to get in the HOF and there was far too much polarization about him when he played. He got blamed for more losses than any other QB in the game while they'd make excuses for Elway, Kelly, Manning and Marino, Romo was the reason they lost. The only question is this new found media star image, will that help him? Sure as hell didn't hurt Simms.

DFWJC

Reaction score
If he'd played for the teams Simms played for, he could have but there was a very good reason that Parcells went after other QB's instead of putting Romo in at the QB1 position until he had no choice left. Simms could play in that position because he understood his job, Romo was too loose a cannon and eventually would do his Favre thing.

One thing the Rooters used to reference that I did buy into was the Romo "glitch". It was there, it was one of the main reasons he didn't get a scholarship to a major school, invited to the Combine as a QB, get drafted or get the starting job in the first few years.

I think he improved and became as good as he could be but not HOF status, imo. The other thing that I did not buy was putting the blame on Garrett. We will never know how many plays were changed by Romo but for most of his career, he got played by DC's into doing exactly what they wanted. The Skins game with 11 run plays wasn't Garrett, not in his DNA.

He was a good QB but the only reason anyone would have a discussion about him in the HOF is because he was the Dallas Cowboys QB. Same as all of this Prescott watch crap going on now.
It's a fan board and you get to have your opinion.

I disagree with a lot of what you said here....most of it even.

But we do both agree that Romo probably did not have a HOF career.
And that was the thread topic.

Qcard

Reaction score
Name a QB who overcame crappy coaching to make the HOF.
excellent point.

I could say Barry Switzer but his collegiate days speak for itself. He was a great collegiate coach. Barry failed in handling personalities on a Championship roster and Jerry's style at the time didn't help either.

If Troy and team hadn't won 3rd Superbowl without Jimmy, I could see the skeptics downgrading Troy because he had a plethora of HOF teammates, decent stats (Tony would have cleaned out Troy if he stayed healthy statistcally), great coach and owner.

The 3rd Super removed any doubt. Troy and Irvin held that team together to somewhat overcome Barry.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
This thread is getting weird... Phil Simms isn’t in the Hall of Fame, and Dan Fouts never won an MVP, at least not the actual recognized Associated Press one.

Hypotenoose

Reaction score
https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/Commanders/longterm/1997/history/allart/sonnycow.htm

Jurgensen played for a crappy franchise at the time. One of the things I remember as a boy devoutly following the Cowboys is how year after year Jurgensen was praised to high heaven by Landry and the other Cowboys for his quarterbacking skills. And it wasn't just the kind of empty praise that teams usually give to an opponent. He was genuinely admired for his ability and performance.
I watched a video last night on Jurgensen. They praised his ability to throw with incredible accuracy and perfect spiral every time. They showed clips. Very impressive.

gimmesix

Reaction score
This thread is getting weird... Phil Simms isn’t in the Hall of Fame, and Dan Fouts never won an MVP, at least not the actual recognized Associated Press one.

You are so wrong. I just looked it up and Phil Simms is definitely in the Kentucky Pro Football Hall of Fame.

erod

Reaction score

Simms' team was so good, Jeff Hosteler won a Super Bowl with it.

Moon is the reason the run and shoot died.

You can pick nits with any quarterback.

Romo had to circumnavigate P.T. Barnum and his perverted circus.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
When the biggest game of a players career is a preseason game, you don’t belong in the Hall of Fame.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I do agree however, that Romo should have been in Jerry's ear. But maybe he was. We know that Garrett demanded that he have more control over the offense and what plays he ran before he signed his contract. Maybe Romo was one of the big proponents to getting Garrett stripped of his play calling duties. We all know how much Jerry refused to fire Garrett.
I've always suspected this. We know Garrett loved calling plays, thought he was good at it, and never wanted to give it up. So why did Jerry take it from his adopted son? I bet it was because of Tony, the one non family member Jerry loved more than Garrett. We know Tony wasn't the biggest Jason fan and said on national TV that Jason wasn't really an Xs and Os guy. I wouldn't be surprised if Tony told Jerry he wasn't happy, and Jerry said I'm not firing Jason but I will compromise and hire a different oc to give you a different play caller.