Is William McClay truly a GM without a title?

408Cowboy

Reaction score
He's been on the "scene" for over a decade in various roles in the organization.

His biggest addition to this franchise in his current role was exactly why Jerry installed him into that position. He's great at processing information and being able to take input from the coaches and scouts and put forth a clear pecking order in the draft for Jerry and Stephen to make their choices.

We have an odd structure where the owner and his son are the GMs but don't really do all the day to day stuff GMs do. I doubt Jerry is sitting around viewing college tape like most GMs might. Jerry trusts McClay to do all the leg work and give him the tools to make the right choice.
That is a nice summation and a great way to view it.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He didn't give his Blessing on Johnny Football. Just saying. Jerry does not make all the decisions and giving his Blessing is not a decision. It's a go ahead. If you think it's best I don't know any longer
He gave his blessing on not drafting Jogphnny football. Being more open to input from others is not the same as abdicating his authority. And yes, giving his blessing is a decision. If he doesn’t approve something it doesn’t happen.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Don't be stupid or naive. You don't think McClay takes into account character and potential off the field issues into account when evaluating a draft pick or free agent?

There isn't a shred of doubt that McClay and the Cowboys knew about Irving's various issues, but at that cost and their need along the DL, it was worth the risk to take a flier on him.

It didn't really work out, much like many of their recent FA moves.
His job is not to take into account various issues. I really cant even believe you think it is. You really think the Cowboys don't have people that do that type of research for the team? This is a billion dollar company.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Ask you're Landry Hat.:lmao:
See people take low posting numbers as a rookie without any insight. But I know better than that it doesn't matter how many posts you have or don't have. It's quality of the post. Too bad everyone doesn't realize that

408Cowboy

Reaction score
I know the answer. No he's not the GM with or without title. He's the scout. He's the guy with all the inside information.
Now that you've answered you own question we can get the mods to close this.

@Idgit thread redundancy needs closure.

408Cowboy

Reaction score
See people take low posting numbers as a rookie without any insight. But I know better than that it doesn't matter how many posts you have or don't have. It's quality of the post. Too bad everyone doesn't realize that
What is the Landry Hat you miss and make mention of?

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Now that you've answered you own question we can get the mods to close this.

@Idgit thread redundancy needs closure.
No I don't want to close this. I'm interested in how many people even know who William McClay is.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The old forum. You are rated by rookie next I believe was player. All Pro all the way up to Landry's hat. You are rated by how many posts and likes you acquired.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I had over a hundred thousand post and never press the report button I was pretty proud of that. And it would get absolutely brutal. This is mild compared

408Cowboy

Reaction score
I had over a hundred thousand post and never press the report button I was pretty proud of that. And it would get absolutely brutal. This is mild compared
If it doesn't matter how many posts why do you miss the status of the Landry Hat? By the way I came over from that forum as well. I knew what the hat was.

Edit: everybody here knows who McClay is.

SSoup

Reaction score
No, he's not the secret GM. Neither was Tom Ciskowski or Jeff Ireland before him.

It's pretty common for there to be a Flavor of the Week name puffed up by Jerry Apologists who want to explain that Jerry being one of the only owners who refuses to hire a GM isn't that bad because, "well, actually, Jerry's just a figure head and so-and-so is basically the General Manager."

But through it all, it's nonsense. Jerry has final say and often, depending on his whims and the perceived sexiness of available moves/players, he comes in with his own ideas that force our scouts and coaches to constantly spend their time talking him off ledges with his terrible ideas and instincts and urges.

Sometimes they figure out how to talk him out of doing something dumb, or they distract him long enough to let us conduct our business in a rational, reasoned manner. That tends to happen more frequently or less frequently depending on the head coach Jerry has hired. The Switzers and Campos and Wade Phillipses of the world stood by, slack-jawed and distracted by butterflies or bumblebees outside the window, while Jerry crippled their rosters. The Jimmys and Parcells and Garretts knew how to steer the decision process so that it tended to favor installing a coherent system for mining players we had use for.

Rayman70

Reaction score
not that simple, but largely, YES...he is the defacto GM. However, the final decisions fall on Stevie. Then if a tie breaker is needed, Daddy Jones breaks the tie.