Is William McClay truly a GM without a title?

coult44

Reaction score
If Garrett is an awful coach, and McClay is an awful talent evaluator, how has this team gone 32-16 the last three years?

Only one of those two is bad at their job, and it's not McClay.

It kills me that people value the regular season for anything more than what it is.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
If you think Jerry Jones is still making football decisions you haven't been paying attention

Jones gives the go ahead on every personnel decision, but as we all know, the drafting has been night-and-day better for a few years now. That great improvement is because Jerry listens to and defers to the key people around him, one of which is Will McClay.

Jerry’s dumb, impulsive drafting (see Mo Claiborne) has been replaced by a methodical group of guys spearheaded by McClay, Stephen, and Garrett. Jerry used to focus on athleticism and that’s about it. Now Dallas looks into character, scheme fit, love of the game, and toughness when deciding on a draft pick. The franchise has a direction and a purpose when finding college talent.

Sadly, this is a relatively new phenomenon in the Cowboys War Room because Jerry the GM didn’t take other’s opinions into account very much before he pulled the trigger... and his opinion wasn’t swayed by all those intangible qualities. And there was no direction in his drafting.

The last several years though, have been different. Dallas is now among the best drafting franchises, year in and year out. They might even be the best at it. Is that because Jerry saw the error of his ways and decided to listen more to the guys around him? Is it because Stephen has convinced Jerry to listen to others? I’m not sure, but I couldn’t be happier with the results on draft day.

So, no, Will isn’t the GM but he’s a big part of the decision making process in Dallas.

Now if they could just start hitting on pro personnel like they do the college guys, the team just might win it all.

Sydla

Reaction score
His job is not to take into account various issues. I really cant even believe you think it is. You really think the Cowboys don't have people that do that type of research for the team? This is a billion dollar company.

LOL. What?

He helps Jerry makes decisions on players, so he absolutely is privy and knows about the character issues surrounding players. Sure, they have investigators that look into players but McClay absolutely knows about issues and it’s part of his evaluation of players.

For you to think he doesn’t is beyond ignorant.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
LOL. What?

He helps Jerry makes decisions on players, so he absolutely is privy and knows about the character issues surrounding players. Sure, they have investigators that look into players but McClay absolutely knows about issues and it’s part of his evaluation of players.

For you to think he doesn’t is beyond ignorant.
on TALENT. As you said they hire investigators of some kind just like any other company does. The investigator is the Subject Matter Expert on background....McClay is the Subject Matter Expert on talent. Its no different than me being a recruiter for my company. I can find talent all day and that talent may talk well, look sharp and be extremely knowledgeable on the job I am recruiting them for. But once the background check comes back that they been hanging with David Irving it's on the company to make a decision. They take my opinion and the background and do what they feel comfortable with. In this case SJ & JJ are making those decisions.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
If Garrett is an awful coach, and McClay is an awful talent evaluator, how has this team gone 32-16 the last three years? Only one of those two is bad at their job, and it's not McClay.
You conveniently picked the last 3 seasons to give a thatda boy to McClay. Let's be more realistic shall we.

McClay started in '09. The Cowboys were 57-55 combined from 2009 to 2015.

I would have to say, McClay is just as "bad" as Garrett. Let's call this debate an Offset. :lmao:

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
on TALENT. As you said they hire investigators of some kind just like any other company does. The investigator is the Subject Matter Expert on background....McClay is the Subject Matter Expert on talent. Its no different than me being a recruiter for my company. I can find talent all day and that talent may talk well, look sharp and be extremely knowledgeable on the job I am recruiting them for. But once the background check comes back that they been hanging with David Irving it's on the company to make a decision. They take my opinion and the background and do what they feel comfortable with. In this case SJ & JJ are making those decisions.

You are insane if you think McClay doesn’t take into account character and other off the field stuff when he evaluates players.

No, McClay isn’t sitting outside a guys house seeing if he comes home drunk every night but when he evaluates draft picks and potential FAs, he absolutely knows about the players character and other issues. Then they discuss the risk reward for that player and if it makes sense to take a chance on said player.

In other words, there is no doubt that McClay knew the risks of Gregory, the injury status of Smith, the risks of other players.

yimyammer

Reaction score
This is the first time I've ever posted it. May have done before but not buy me. I don't think Jerry has made a football decision in the last 3 Seasons

no a good one.........

amirite?

GlossyWildBobwhite-max-1mb.gif