Is Zack Martin’s agent playing serious hardball?

Motown12

First words were not Mom or Dad but Flex Defense
Reaction score
This situation is bugging me (what else is new). Tom Condon has a rep for being a tough agent but the Cowboys FO usually get contracts done fairly quickly for a player they really want. Going into training camp last year Stephen said his number one priority was getting Zack Martin signed to a long term contract. Stephen has always said how great Zack Martin is and how much they want him to be a Cowboy for life. So here we are almost a year later and it doesn't seem like they are really any closer to getting a deal done if you listen to Stephen. His price tag is like ocean view real estate in California. Every day, month, year the price tag just goes up. If this deal gets done that would also help our cap situation immediately. Anyone know why such a long holdup?

texbumthelife

Reaction score
This situation is bugging me (what else is new). Tom Condon has a rep for being a tough agent but the Cowboys FO usually get contracts done fairly quickly for a player they really want. Going into training camp last year Stephen said his number one priority was getting Zack Martin signed to a long term contract. Stephen has always said how great Zack Martin is and how much they want him to be a Cowboy for life. So here we are almost a year later and it doesn't seem like they are really any closer to getting a deal done if you listen to Stephen. His price tag is like ocean view real estate in California. Every day, month, year the price tag just goes up. If this deal gets done that would also help our cap situation immediately. Anyone know why such a long holdup?

Zach Martin and his agent know the price keeps going up, too. They haven't signed anything purposely. We don't have to like it, but its smart for Martin. He's going to get far more money the longer this goes on.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
I'm sure being hesitant about paying 14+ mill a year for a guard plays into it.

CowboyChris

Reaction score
Stephen is going to learn the hard way it seems...this should've been handled already, just wait till he see what Lawerence is going to want....providing Lawerence has a good year this season.

BlindFaith

Reaction score
Zach Martin and his agent know the price keeps going up, too. They haven't signed anything purposely. We don't have to like it, but its smart for Martin. He's going to get far more money the longer this goes on.
This won't be popular, but I walk away from Martin. Get a guy with one of your top 5 picks this year. Groom him. And slide him in next year. That's how the Pat's do it. They let Solder walk.

Motown12

Reaction score
His agent and Zack made it very clear last year he wanted to be the highest paid guard in the NFL and deservedly so. He might go down with Emmitt as one of the top Cowboy drafts picks ever in that pick # 15-20 range. I'm just wondering why the two sides were so far apart last year. If he would of been paid last year as the highest paid guard it would probably look like a steal right now. If Condon purposely waited another year then he should of just told the Cowboys let's just talk in 2018 instead of entering negotiations in 2017.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The FO has to be very careful with this O-line. I love them all, stud factory. But, if we have to draft an early round LG or RT then I'm nervous because essentially we have to pay the entire O-line full of 1st round draft picks a lot of money...

Motown12

Reaction score
Did you guys think Zach was going to give us a hometown discount?

Why? Because he loves wearing the Star or playing for Clappy?

LOL

Zack is going to bend us over

Not at all I don't blame him one bit. My only gripe is that if his agent purposely stalled for a year so he could jack up the price he should of just told the Cowboys we will talk in 2018. Instead if I remember right they were in serious negotiations at the beginning of camp last year. Who knows maybe the Cowboys insulted him or something with their offer. Between pushing Romo's dead money into 2018 instead of just taking the hit in 2017 and Martin still not signed...everything other than D. Law and promising rooks in the secondary, 2017 pretty much sucked.

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Guards, even the best of them, shouldn't take up 10% of your total salary cap. It's entirely too easy to get a serviceable replacement for a fraction of that price. We're not talking about a LT, here.

If Martin is dead set on being the highest earning player at his position, let him sign with a perennial loser.

I mean, a perennial loser OTHER than the Cowboys :laugh:

canters

Reaction score
This won't be popular, but I walk away from Martin. Get a guy with one of your top 5 picks this year. Groom him. And slide him in next year. That's how the Pat's do it. They let Solder walk.
I can see this happening, especially if we go heavy on the OL in the top 3 rounds.