News: It’s still early, but Cowboys offense showing signs of growth under Kellen Moore

zekecowboy

Reaction score
The third, and final piece of evidence we have received after two weeks of OTA practices, is the use of 10-personnel in the red-zone. Multiple sources have reported that the Cowboys have shown in practices that the closer they get to the goal line, the more spreading out they are doing with their wide receivers. For years, the Cowboys have went with a “load it up, and run it approach” when facing third and short, and close to the goal line, but it seems as if that could change.

When spreading the offense out in 10-personnel, you’re doing a few different things to help the offense’s chances of picking up more yardage. First, with more receivers on the field, that means defenses will likely stay in a nickel or dime look, which means that there will be more defensive backs on the field than linebackers, the weaker the tacklers the better odds Elliott and Co. can pick up more yardage on the ground. In this case, that’s exactly what the Cowboys want when running the football near the goal line and in favorable down and distances. Second, spreading the defense out gives the Cowboys either 1) favorable box looks when running the football, or 2) favorable outside looks when passing the football. If opposing defenses still want to crowd the box in the red-zone and on the goal line when Dallas shows 10-personnel, than the passing game should flourish. If they want to play it straight with four-to-five defensive backs on the field, than the running game should flourish. Either way you look at it, the Cowboys are showing the ability to adapt and not continue to run into brick walls when in the red-zone, on the goal line, and in third and shorts.

While it’s still a little too early to get really excited, there is still enough evidence floating around from pictures, videos, to post/pre-practice interviews that gives the sense that the Dallas Cowboys offense could evolve in 2019. If so, a major nod should be given to Kellen Moore, and even Jason Garrett for promoting the former quarterback after just one season as the team's QB coach.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...se-showing-signs-of-growth-under-kellen-moore

_sturt_

Reaction score
Corrected version of the thread header...

2019-05-30_2247.png

Doomsay

Reaction score
The third, and final piece of evidence we have received after two weeks of OTA practices, is the use of 10-personnel in the red-zone. Multiple sources have reported that the Cowboys have shown in practices that the closer they get to the goal line, the more spreading out they are doing with their wide receivers. For years, the Cowboys have went with a “load it up, and run it approach” when facing third and short, and close to the goal line, but it seems as if that could change.

When spreading the offense out in 10-personnel, you’re doing a few different things to help the offense’s chances of picking up more yardage. First, with more receivers on the field, that means defenses will likely stay in a nickel or dime look, which means that there will be more defensive backs on the field than linebackers, the weaker the tacklers the better odds Elliott and Co. can pick up more yardage on the ground. In this case, that’s exactly what the Cowboys want when running the football near the goal line and in favorable down and distances. Second, spreading the defense out gives the Cowboys either 1) favorable box looks when running the football, or 2) favorable outside looks when passing the football. If opposing defenses still want to crowd the box in the red-zone and on the goal line when Dallas shows 10-personnel, than the passing game should flourish. If they want to play it straight with four-to-five defensive backs on the field, than the running game should flourish. Either way you look at it, the Cowboys are showing the ability to adapt and not continue to run into brick walls when in the red-zone, on the goal line, and in third and shorts.

While it’s still a little too early to get really excited, there is still enough evidence floating around from pictures, videos, to post/pre-practice interviews that gives the sense that the Dallas Cowboys offense could evolve in 2019. If so, a major nod should be given to Kellen Moore, and even Jason Garrett for promoting the former quarterback after just one season as the team's QB coach.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/201...se-showing-signs-of-growth-under-kellen-moore
That’s actually a very positive move, unless it has been similarly tested in past pre-seasons and abandoned when it counts. Doesn’t sound like it though, so never too early.

tyke1doe

Reaction score

It took us four years to figure this out? :huh:

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
We talking about practice? Practice. Is that what we talking about, practice? Not the game. Practice......practice right?

Hmm. This dude talking 'bout practice.

Oh, please.

If the title of the article was, "It's still early, but Cowboys offense looks to be getting worse", we'd all have the same reaction.

How the hell can you evaluate whether anything is getting better or worse at this point?

JayFord

Reaction score
Here’s what I expect from kellen Moore’s offense

We’re going to throw the ball with the QB and run it with the RB

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
When spreading the offense out in 10-personnel, you’re doing a few different things to help the offense’s chances of picking up more yardage. First, with more receivers on the field, that means defenses will likely stay in a nickel or dime look, which means that there will be more defensive backs on the field than linebackers, the weaker the tacklers the better odds Elliott and Co. can pick up more yardage on the ground.

The best block is simply lining up the defense somewhere they can't make a play on the runner. Garrett loves to crowd the box instead of spread it, and often with TEs who are rather meh blockers.

With Dak also a threat as a runner, defenses don't have a numbers advantage over blockers and runners in the box. Just spread it out and let our oline, Dak, and Zeke beat defenses man up.

Though I won't lie, I am hoping to see Hill at FB because *boom*!

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
We talking about practice? Practice. Is that what we talking about, practice? Not the game. Practice......practice right?

Hmm. This dude talking 'bout practice.
What do you Negative Nancies expect??? Hello?!?! It's the offseason!!!!

If you don't want to read or hear about offseason "practices", do everyone a big favor by zipping your mouths and disappearing until the regular season starts in September!!! Capish??? SMH

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
What do you Negative Nancies expect??? Hello?!?! It's the offseason!!!!

If you don't want to read or hear about offseason "practices", do everyone a big favor by zipping your mouths and disappearing until the regular season starts in September!!! Capish??? SMH
Excuse me, but I wasn't being negative. I was quoting Allen Iverson. It was a inside joke for those that know. Negative Nancies call people out of their name and tell them to zip their mouths. So if you ever read a post telling someone to shut up and disappear the person who wrote that is a grade A Negative Nancy. And they will always apply a negative condemnation on someone else's post. So thank you for your participation in my demonstration of what a Negative Nancy really is. Have a great day.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Excuse me, but I wasn't being negative. I was quoting Allen Iverson. It was a inside joke for those that know. Negative Nancies call people out of their name and tell them to zip their mouths. So if you ever read a post telling someone to shut up and disappear the person who wrote that is a grade A Negative Nancy. And they will always apply a negative condemnation on someone else's post. So thank you for your participation in my demonstration of what a Negative Nancy really is. Have a great day.
Next time state it is a joke or sarcasm. People can't read your mind. Btw, you've been 'negative' quite a bit recently on various different threads, so of course one is going to look at you as a Negative Nancy. You might want to work on your negative posts if you don't want people to believe you are truly not being so negative. Have a great day as well.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score

Hard to believe most didn’t get the classic Iverson quote. It’s only been referenced like 10000 times in the sports world.

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
Next time state it is a joke or sarcasm. People can't read your mind. Btw, you've been 'negative' quite a bit recently on various different threads, so of course one is going to look at you as a Negative Nancy. You might want to work on your negative posts if you don't want people to believe you are truly not being so negative. Have a great day as well.
I thought the quote was so famous that it didnt need a JK, but now I know.