DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"It is a monster!": Massive NASA moon rocket set for historic flight
William Harwood | CBS News/Microsoft Start
August 26, 2022

Five decades after the final flight of NASA's legendary Saturn 5 moon rocket, the U.S. space agency is poised to launch its most powerful rocket yet Monday for a critical, long-overdue test flight, sending an unpiloted Orion crew capsule on a 42-day voyage around the moon.

Running years behind schedule and billions over budget, the first Space Launch System — SLS — rocket is finally ready for blastoff from pad 39B at the Kennedy Space Center at 8:33 a.m. EDT Monday, the opening of a two-hour window. Forecasters are predicting a 70 percent chance of good weather.

Read more

AA117PyZ.img

Roadtrip635

Reaction score
That's awesome! It's good to hear that we'll be sending astronauts back into space. I hope everything goes smoothly, I know it's unmanned, but really don't want to see a repeat of the Challenger tragedy.

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score
Thought this was pretty cool, you could register to have your name onboard (basically on a flash drive with a couple of million others). When you registered you were able to download a boarding pass. My 4 year old has his printed out and on his wall, very excited about the launch - I'm about 99% certain he realises he's not actually going to fly round the moon.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Thought this was pretty cool, you could register to have your name onboard (basically on a flash drive with a couple of million others). When you registered you were able to download a boarding pass. My 4 year old has his printed out and on his wall, very excited about the launch - I'm about 99% certain he realises he's not actually going to fly round the moon.
How freaked out will he be if it blows up?

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
"It is a monster!": Massive NASA moon rocket set for historic flight
William Harwood | CBS News/Microsoft Start
August 26, 2022

Five decades after the final flight of NASA's legendary Saturn 5 moon rocket, the U.S. space agency is poised to launch its most powerful rocket yet Monday for a critical, long-overdue test flight, sending an unpiloted Orion crew capsule on a 42-day voyage around the moon.

Running years behind schedule and billions over budget, the first Space Launch System — SLS — rocket is finally ready for blastoff from pad 39B at the Kennedy Space Center at 8:33 a.m. EDT Monday, the opening of a two-hour window. Forecasters are predicting a 70 percent chance of good weather.

Read more

AA117PyZ.img
A 42 day voyage around the moon? What's the mission, find Armstrong's keys?

dsturgeon

Reaction score
You got three guess but you will only need one.

theft, black ops, story tellers, and cgi

While watching planes fly overhead and spray the skies for the last 6 or 7 years, I have often wondered who pays for the fuel and planes. Who pays for geoengineering or whatever it is? Maybe it is a black op nasa project

Last edited:

rags747

Reaction score
As an aside Musks Starship will be 100% reusable. No trials yet except for static firing of its 32 Raptor engines. Hopefully within the next two months we can get a launch. The launch tower is designed to catch Starship on its way down, pretty freaking unreal but it has not been done yet. Maybe I’ll post a video later.

terra

Reaction score
One of the stated reasons for the shuttle was that it would be cheaper then throw away rockets. Really did not turn out that way.

all this reusable and cheaper talk I have heard before.

rags747

Reaction score
One of the stated reasons for the shuttle was that it would be cheaper then throw away rockets. Really did not turn out that way.

all this reusable and cheaper talk I have heard before.
You may have heard it all before but but obviously you have not been following SpaceX. They are launching their Falcon Heavy rockets for NASA and their own Starlink satellites at 1/10 the cost of what NASA was paying prior. SciFi stuff to see these rockets land on target.

rags747

Reaction score
I wonder how many parts will need replacing after each use.
Musk has said that just general cleaning up of the rockets prior to reuse and of course refueling, not sure what he means by that. SpaceX plan for this year is 52 launches, which includes trips to the ISS, NASA satellite launches and SpaceX own Starlink satellites. Not sure where that currently stands as far as launches so far this year.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Musk has said that just general cleaning up of the rockets prior to reuse and of course refueling, not sure what he means by that. SpaceX plan for this year is 52 launches, which includes trips to the ISS, NASA satellite launches and SpaceX own Starlink satellites. Not sure where that currently stands as far as launches so far this year.
One a week? That seems lofty (no pun intended) and incredibly expensive, not to mention taxing on everyone involved.

With all the power and heat being thrust out the bottom of that rocket, I find it hard to believe a "cleaning" is all it'll need.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
You may have heard it all before but but obviously you have not been following SpaceX. They are launching their Falcon Heavy rockets for NASA and their own Starlink satellites at 1/10 the cost of what NASA was paying prior. SciFi stuff to see these rockets land on target.

After 96 years working on fuel powered rockets, and who knows the amount of taxpaper money, the payoff seems king of lame. It seems like we should be past rocket technology. Landing them is pretty cool though. The video would be better if they cut out the cgi in space, and had a way to high altitude film them coming back down. They choreographed it well with the people celebrating in between actual footage and cgi.

Maybe some cameras on starlink satellites, and being able to see the dynamic of where they are, and where nasa satellites are, and rockets passing by

Last edited: