It is brutal to look at our second round picks in the last 12 years

cnhnyy

Reaction score
It seems it is JJ's playground so that he can get cute and play GM to waste these picks on some injured freaks or TEs. ONE borderline pro-bowler (Sean Lee made ONCE last year as alternate to alternate) among the group. One starter from the group when we play Giants on September 11, 2016. That is assuming Sean Lee is not injured during pre-season.

We should just trade away our second round picks in the future.

Jaylon Smith (2016)
Randy Gregory (2015)
DeMarcus Lawrence (2014)
Gavin Escobar (2013)
No second rounder in 2012
Bruce Carter (2011)
Sean Lee (2010)
no second rounder (2009)
Martellus Bennett (2008)
No Second rounder in 2007
Anthony Fasanso (2006)
Kevin Burnett (2005)
Julius Jones and Jacob Rogers (2004)

MichaelValentino

Reaction score
Now do the first. And make sure to include comparisons to other teams. Our just post something without context and expect it to have meaning.

I believe the context was Dallas's success in round 2 and specifically round 2. The OP can speak for himself but I read his post as an indictment of the decisions made in the Cowboys war room in the 2nd round.

adamknite

Reaction score
The only absolute "bad" player on that list was Jacob Rogers. Fasano was a solid player and did well after we traded him, Bennett is a very good player and Escobar seems to be talented but we really don't ever use him. The jury is still out on Gregory and Lawrence really, and after that we had some solid players. Not the best second rounders ever but outside Rogers I don't think any of those were just flat out "bad" picks. The only thing that makes that list look bad is the fact we seem obsessed with drafting TE's and never doing a thing with them

EDIT: I would say the only real problem is how we use the players we draft or why we drafted them to begin with (looking at those TEs)... not specifically the players.

Last edited:

MichaelValentino

Reaction score
It seems it is JJ's playground so that he can get cute and play GM to waste these picks on some injured freaks or TEs. ONE borderline pro-bowler (Sean Lee made ONCE last year as alternate to alternate) among the group. One starter from the group when we play Giants on September 11, 2016. That is assuming Sean Lee is not injured during pre-season.

Jaylon Smith (2016)
Randy Gregory (2015)
DeMarcus Lawrence (2014)
Gavin Escobar (2013)
Bruce Carter (2011)
Sean Lee (2010)
no second rounder (2009)
Martellus Bennett (2008)
Anthony Fasanso (2006)
Kevin Burnett (2005)

Give JJ some credit. He did fine in '07 '09 and '12. :thumbup:

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Now do the first. And make sure to include comparisons to other teams. Our just post something without context and expect it to have meaning.

Yes, go do all a whole lot of tedious and time consuming grunt work because only then will we be able to see that Dallas had bad picks.

Pretty sure people can post whatever they want. If it doesn't mean anything to you, feel free to go round up all that data and provide some meaning.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
In order to ascertain whether or not it is truly "brutal", I need a comparison to other teams. Results don't exist in a vacuum.

Swanny

Reaction score

Jaylon Smith (2016)
Randy Gregory (2015)
DeMarcus Lawrence (2014)
Gavin Escobar (2013)
Bruce Carter (2011)
Sean Lee (2010)
no second rounder (2009)
Martellus Bennett (2008)
Anthony Fasanso (2006)
Kevin Burnett (2005)

I actually don't think it's all that bad. Gregory and Lawrence can be very good. Sean Lee good. Martellus is very good just wasn't for us because of Witten. Jacob Rogers was terrible just beyond terrible. I mean its not good but not as bad as I expected. But it does show why we have been so bad through the years

endersdragon

Reaction score

Jaylon Smith (2016)
Randy Gregory (2015)
DeMarcus Lawrence (2014)
Gavin Escobar (2013)
Bruce Carter (2011)
Sean Lee (2010)
no second rounder (2009)
Martellus Bennett (2008)
Anthony Fasanso (2006)
Kevin Burnett (2005)

Bruce Carter gave us a pretty good 4 years. Sean Lee when healthy is one of the best in the league, yea I know that's not often enough but hard to predict that he would have this sort of injury history even with a college injury. MartyB and Escobar both had/have great potential, just stuck behind a legend here in Dallas (so probably the wrong pick, but we have been predicting Witten's demise for a long time and he just keeps on ticking). D-Law really came on at the end of last year and is showing top 10 DE potential. Julius Jones was our lead back for several years even if it was the Barbarian earning the glory with his short yardage style. I am not sure I see our 2nd round as poorly as you do. I get wanting more Pro Bowlers, but those are generally hard to predict. If it makes you feel better when Smith gets back he probably will be a Pro Bowler right alongside Lee and D-Law.

Broges74

JerryJonesMustGo
Reaction score
Mentality is boom/bust. That's Jerry right there. But they are going strictly by their board. That hasn't been a bad thing. Nfl players are very risky proposition. Do a draft starters count here or elsewhere. Sometimes they don't blossom here

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
Yes, go do all a whole lot of tedious and time consuming grunt work because only then will we be able to see that Dallas had bad picks.

Only if you want it to have meaning. You're actually arguing against proving your point?

thisiscowboyscountry

Reaction score

Jaylon Smith (2016)
Randy Gregory (2015)
DeMarcus Lawrence (2014)
Gavin Escobar (2013)
Bruce Carter (2011)
Sean Lee (2010)
no second rounder (2009)
Martellus Bennett (2008)
Anthony Fasanso (2006)
Kevin Burnett (2005)

I dont think you can call Lawrence and Gregory bad picks yet. Lee obviously has had injury history but when hes played he has been great. The tes never really got an opportunity with Witten on the team, or it may have been different. Bennett and Fasano each have gone on to be good contributers. They were just puzzling picks at the time. Obviously no allpros yet from this list, but maybe were due with Jaylon Smith? He is by the far the most talented second round pick, but his recovery time is up in the air.

Vanilla2

Reaction score
If it already wasn't going to be it definitely will be

"ONE OF THOSE OFFSEASONS"
Stay strong zoners