It Time for an Urban Renewal for the Dallas Cowboys

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
Cowherd wasn’t even asking him about his interest in Dallas and he interjected “that’s the one job”

I’d say we’re his top choice.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...owboys-coaching-job-if-an-offer-came-his-way/

I'd even say his ONLY choice for NFL. He said "That's the ONE job". So I think he is not interested in the NFL unless it is the Dallas Cowboys.

Jerry! It's all there ready for you to make the call. I hope you already signed him

People should keep checking with Zeke. Remember Playmaker said when Jimmy was coming and before the announcement he told him "I'm coming to Dallas". Maybe Meyer tells Zeke something

:cool:

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Very little of that is relevant and/or true. First it wasn't Jones that turned the Cowboys after their 90's run, it was something the league started called the salary cap. We as Cowboys fans got spoiled because Jones paid guys that were backups here starter type money who later later having had to be released because of that cap ended up as starters on other teams.

Second, Johnson was in the tiny minority of former college coaches that turned things around on an NFL team as a 1st time NFL head coach. The hugely vast majority of college coaches as 1st time head coaches in the NFL fail. Several of those coaches you name that come from the Meyers coaching tree have had some success in the NFL BUT their first jobs in the NFL were as position coaches or coordinators and not 1st time head coaches.

Third trying to equate how college teams are built to how they are built in the NFL is like comparing apples and squash. In college every year the same 5 - 10 schools are the top teams. This is because those colleges go out and get all of the 5 star high school players and all of the rest of the colleges get the leftovers. Also just about every year we hear about one of the colleges that are under investigation for their recruiting violations. In the NFL teams can't just go out and grab up all of the best college players they have to do it one player at a time in a predetermined order.

Lastly college coaches can play god to the young players and don't have a CBA that dictates how they can and can't treat players. If a college coach thinks the team is having a bad practice he can keep them out there practicing as long as he wants to. NFL coaches can't do that. NFL players are not kids and can't be handled like college coaches can who had the kids that play for them.

So if you want the Cowboys to suffer through another 3 - 5 years when they bring in a Meyers being a 1st time NFL head coach and be like the majority and fail, wish all you want, but those of us that understand ALL of the differences between college and the NFL will continue to hope that the Cowboys don't do the college 1st time head coach approach.
this is on point. I mentioned the same thing in my response. people forget that there has not been any college coaches that jump to NFL and find immediate success, its usually for rebuilding teams and they learn together....just see AZ right now.

the only exception the pundits like to point to (to win an argument) is Switzer. but people forget he became head coach of a team that had 5 (or was it 6) future HOFers and his entire coaching staff was from Johnson coaching staff that was there before. so nothing changed. no new system. no new scheme. just continue as is and he was just a "figure head" for Jerry to prove his point about any of the 500 coaches can win with this team.

and the point about recruiting and the top 5-10 schools is also very on point. see my response. college is all abour recruiting and amassing talent. NFL doesn't let you do that.

conner01

Reaction score
sorry, I am not a college coach for cowboys fan...there is a learning curve for any and I mean any college coach unless he has a very strong coaching staff....and I disagree that NFL coaches are Urban's peers....other college coaches are his peers. he hasn't proven he can coach in the NFL....many other before him specially in the past 15 years have failed. and failed miserably and they had similar resumes.....

college games are very different than NFL. in college its all and I mean ALL about recruiting. playing that spread offense and putting your 4th and 5th WR against the other teams 4th, 5th WR. its a matter of who got the best recruiting class. the offenses and defenses are very simple. it comes down to the 5-8 teams that have amassed talent through recruiting and which ones happen to translate their game to college....

in the NFL, everyone is the best players from college. everyone is fast. everyone is good. and more importantly there is a salary cap to make sure teams are pretty even and can't amass "recruits" like cowboys did in the 90s'

he has shown he can recruit and build a program. he hasn't shown he can't take an NFL team and make them competitive. Saban failed. Kelly failed. Petrino failed. the list is longer than that. and all those coaches were great in college.

I would be OK with a college coach if we were rebuilding. for a team, with this talent, we need an NFL ready coach.
I have similar fears
I like him but I worry because we’ve seen so many fail when making the jump
I remember when the eagles did it and fans thought they would reign for years
I could think of worse options but I prefer a young guy from nfl ranks who has worked along side a smart nfl coach myself

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Is Urban a game day schemer though and if not will he hire a guy that gives us an edge on Sunday?

This isn't tOSU and he won't win the majority of his games with just out talented the opposition.

I think he is a fantastic coach and I think he translates to the Pro's but I worry he will want to play a caveman brand of football..

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
and the point about recruiting and the top 5-10 schools is also very on point. see my response. college is all abour recruiting and amassing talent. NFL doesn't let you do that.

You should take a second to look up what Meyer did, in his first 2 years, at Bowling Green and Utah.. without his guys.

I understand what you're saying, but there is a bit of a difference..a different "shade of grey", if you will..with Meyer. He's come in with nothing, with nobodies, and won.

One would and could think that, this points to a man who knows his X's and O's, and might "break the mold" of College coaches making that transition.

BleedinBlue

Reaction score
Jerry isn't going to hire a big name, he said they couldn't guarantee him a SB.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
You should take a second to look up what Meyer did, in his first 2 years, at Bowling Green and Utah.. without his guys.

I understand what you're saying, but there is a bit of a difference..a different "shade of grey", if you will..with Meyer. He's come in with nothing, with nobodies, and won.

One would and could think that, this points to a man who knows his X's and O's, and might "break the mold" of College coaches making that transition.
the precedence for college coaches breaking the mold in the past 15 years is pretty slim. you have to go back to 25 years ago and jimmy Johnson and that was the perfect storm perhaps......

he is still a college coach. the NFL has a way of spitting out college coaches.

and regardless, there is always, always always a learning curve or a few years.

if we were rebuilding, I would say, ok, lets try it. but given the current talent base.....we need an NFL ready coach.....not a NFL coach in training.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Yes. A freaking retread with health problems and no NFL experience.

These college guys rarely understand how to deal with grown men.
Tell that to Jimmy Johnson (ex Miami), Bill Walsh (ex Stanford), Dick Vermell (ex UCLA), Pete Carroll (ex USC), Bobby Ross (ex Georgia Tech), Jim Harbargh (ex Stanford), and even the Bootleggers Son (ex Oklahoma).

Yeah.. GROWN MEN..THAT PLAY FOOTBALL for a living are not that grown up after all.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Does interviewing Urban Meyer satisfy the Rooney Rule?
Just like Jerry did with Ray Sherman, the same will happen with Kris Richard. Rules and laws are made for the law biding. That ain't Jerry Jones.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Cowherd wasn’t even asking him about his interest in Dallas and he interjected “that’s the one job”

I’d say we’re his top choice.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...owboys-coaching-job-if-an-offer-came-his-way/

"Pure speculation, because I know [Riley], but I don't know him like that, but that's the one [job]," Meyer said. "That's the New York Yankees, that's the Dallas Cowboys, that's the one. Great city, you got Dak Prescott, you got Zeke Elliott, you got a loaded team, and I can't speak for [Riley] obviously -- I hate to even speculate -- because I don't know him, that's really not fair, but to me, that's the one job in professional football that you kind of say, 'I gotta go do that.'"

After Meyer mentioned that it's the "one job" that any coach would have to consider, Cowherd asked him if he would be open to taking it if the Cowboys called.

"Absolutely. Absolutely," Meyer said. "That one? Yes."

The only one in the way has been the one in the way since 1989...Jerry Jones.

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
"Pure speculation, because I know [Riley], but I don't know him like that, but that's the one [job]," Meyer said. "That's the New York Yankees, that's the Dallas Cowboys, that's the one. Great city, you got Dak Prescott, you got Zeke Elliott, you got a loaded team, and I can't speak for [Riley] obviously -- I hate to even speculate -- because I don't know him, that's really not fair, but to me, that's the one job in professional football that you kind of say, 'I gotta go do that.'"

After Meyer mentioned that it's the "one job" that any coach would have to consider, Cowherd asked him if he would be open to taking it if the Cowboys called.

"Absolutely. Absolutely," Meyer said. "That one? Yes."

The only one in the way has been the one in the way since 1989...Jerry Jones.
The college football dude on fx1-Joel Klatt- just said on Cowherd the Cowboys have “expressed very real interest in Urban Meyer”.

So it appears there’s a mutual interest and maybe our long nightmare is almost over.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
93fVPgH.png
He has done something no other Head Coach in the NFL or College could do that would make me resign Dak Prescott....Win Championships and go undefeated with Tim Tebow, and with Alex Smith at Quarterback. He got the NFL to draft Alex Smith no.1 overall by Mike Nolan's 49ers and Tim Tebow in the 1st round by Josh McDaniel's Broncos...Dak Prescott? What can Urban Renewal do for you?

I like your photo!

rags747

Reaction score
Yeah I want Meyer, I don’t care if he’s college coach or not. This is probably the only guy that I would be ecstatic about, maybe Rhule but I want Meyer A#1!

erod

Reaction score
I don't think they're interested in him.