It's Bad Business to extend Zeke or Jaylon this year

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Unlike Dak Prescott whose contract expires next March, the Cowboys have a 5th year option on Zeke, and Jaylon Smith will be a Restricted Free agent in 2020. There is no good business reason for the Cowboys to rush to extend the contracts of Zeke or Jaylon Smith in 2019.

The following players have contracts that expire, but will be Restricted Free Agents that the Cowboys can retain with tender offers:
  1. The TE Rico Gathers - RFA
  2. TE Blake Jarwin - RFA
  3. PK Brett Maher - ERFA
  4. OC Adam Redmond - RFA
  5. DT Daniel Ross - RFA
  6. QB Cooper Rush - RFA
  7. FS Jamiell Showers - ERFA
  8. LB Jaylon Smith
  9. DT Antwaun Woods - ERFA
The Cowboys shouldn't even be considering negotiating long term deals with any players who they are not in danger of losing a year from now, including all restricted free agent candidates, and Zeke Elliott, whose contract doesn't expire until March of 2021.

Here are the contracts that ARE expiring next year without the Cowboys ability to keep them from becoming free agents unless they use a franchise tag (in alphabetical order):
  1. WR Tavon Austin
  2. CB Anthony Brown
  3. WR Randall Cobb
  4. OT La'el Collins
  5. DT Maliek Collins
  6. WR Amari Cooper
  7. DT Christian Covington
  8. SS Kavon Frazier
  9. CB C.J. Goodwin
  10. FS Jeff Heath
  11. WR Allen Hurns
  12. DE Kerry Hyder
  13. SS George Iloka
  14. CB Byron Jones
  15. LS L.P. Ladouceur
  16. LB Sean Lee
  17. OC Joe Looney
  18. LB Justin March-Lillard
  19. QB Dak Prescott
  20. DE Robert Quinn
  21. FS Darian Thompson
The top priorities for getting contract extensions completed are QB Dak Prescott and WR Amari Cooper. It really doesn't matter which order they do them in, as long as both get done this summer. After that, the Cowboys have decisions to make on 4 key players highlighted in blue. If I were to prioritize the 6 key players the Cowboys should be negotiating with, it would be in this order:
  1. QB Dak Prescott
  2. WR Amari Cooper
  3. CB Anthony Brown
  4. CB Byron Jones
  5. DT Maliek Collins
  6. OT La'el Collins
After Prescott and Cooper, I would try to sign Anthony Brown to an extenstion next - mainly because he's a valuable slot corner, and I think I would be more likely to have success signing him to an extension during this year. For Byron Jones, I'd let his contract ride, and decide to either franchise him next year and negotiate a new deal like they did with Lawrence this season, or let him walk. I think both Maliek Collins and La'el Collins are going to be allowed to test free agency.

There are a few veterans signed to one-year deals who you might try to resign next year to inexpensive new deals. But the time to make those decisions is next February.

Bottom line, the Cowboys only really have 4 players they should be seriously considering for new deals now: Prescott, Cooper, Brown and Jones. Everyone else can wait for next year.

Glad you are NOT the GM.

Pay Zeke.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Wouldn't be surprised if Zeke doesn't get his contract soon, he'll hold out. If I remember reading, word around Dallas is that Zeke's agent is already pushing for talks to happen - which is probably why Stephen has commented the way he has a couple times already.

Not this year, I think he understands the priority signings in front of him. Next year? No question......this is why they're making noise now ( 2 years out). Think it's their way of saying he'll be patient for another year. We have to remember, Jerry and Stephen don't have a good track record of signing their franchise RBs w/o drama.

Sandyf

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Unlike Dak Prescott whose contract expires next March, the Cowboys have a 5th year option on Zeke, and Jaylon Smith will be a Restricted Free agent in 2020. There is no good business reason for the Cowboys to rush to extend the contracts of Zeke or Jaylon Smith in 2019.

The following players have contracts that expire, but will be Restricted Free Agents that the Cowboys can retain with tender offers:
  1. The TE Rico Gathers - RFA
  2. TE Blake Jarwin - RFA
  3. PK Brett Maher - ERFA
  4. OC Adam Redmond - RFA
  5. DT Daniel Ross - RFA
  6. QB Cooper Rush - RFA
  7. FS Jamiell Showers - ERFA
  8. LB Jaylon Smith
  9. DT Antwaun Woods - ERFA
The Cowboys shouldn't even be considering negotiating long term deals with any players who they are not in danger of losing a year from now, including all restricted free agent candidates, and Zeke Elliott, whose contract doesn't expire until March of 2021.

Here are the contracts that ARE expiring next year without the Cowboys ability to keep them from becoming free agents unless they use a franchise tag (in alphabetical order):
  1. WR Tavon Austin
  2. CB Anthony Brown
  3. WR Randall Cobb
  4. OT La'el Collins
  5. DT Maliek Collins
  6. WR Amari Cooper
  7. DT Christian Covington
  8. SS Kavon Frazier
  9. CB C.J. Goodwin
  10. FS Jeff Heath
  11. WR Allen Hurns
  12. DE Kerry Hyder
  13. SS George Iloka
  14. CB Byron Jones
  15. LS L.P. Ladouceur
  16. LB Sean Lee
  17. OC Joe Looney
  18. LB Justin March-Lillard
  19. QB Dak Prescott
  20. DE Robert Quinn
  21. FS Darian Thompson
The top priorities for getting contract extensions completed are QB Dak Prescott and WR Amari Cooper. It really doesn't matter which order they do them in, as long as both get done this summer. After that, the Cowboys have decisions to make on 4 key players highlighted in blue. If I were to prioritize the 6 key players the Cowboys should be negotiating with, it would be in this order:
  1. QB Dak Prescott
  2. WR Amari Cooper
  3. CB Anthony Brown
  4. CB Byron Jones
  5. DT Maliek Collins
  6. OT La'el Collins
After Prescott and Cooper, I would try to sign Anthony Brown to an extenstion next - mainly because he's a valuable slot corner, and I think I would be more likely to have success signing him to an extension during this year. For Byron Jones, I'd let his contract ride, and decide to either franchise him next year and negotiate a new deal like they did with Lawrence this season, or let him walk. I think both Maliek Collins and La'el Collins are going to be allowed to test free agency.

There are a few veterans signed to one-year deals who you might try to resign next year to inexpensive new deals. But the time to make those decisions is next February.

Bottom line, the Cowboys only really have 4 players they should be seriously considering for new deals now: Prescott, Cooper, Brown and Jones. Everyone else can wait for next year.
I agree and disagree with the post. While I do believe we will get Dak, Cooper and Jones done before the start of this season, I also believe they will extend Zeke either before the start of the season or the first part of the season. They probably will also extend Smith before the end of the season.

From a business point of view, it seems strange but part of the business is looking down the line for not only 2020 but more importantly 2021. The salary cap is likely to increase 10 percent for 2020 and the possibility exist that it could go higher depending on the gambling money that the NFLPA is sure to bring up once some numbers come through. As to 2021, a lot of things are going to change with the new CBA and it is one reason that NFL management is attempting to get a new on done before 2021. Numbers from prospective gambling money will be more identified, the new TV contract already is said to far outdistance the current contract. There will pay for view options (which frankly I do not like). The NFL is going to push for 18 regular season games which like it or not will increase the cost of season tickets.

The NFLPA is already pushing for expanded rosters. They will happen especially if we go to 18 regular season games. And more importantly for the Cowboys with the increase of salary cap money we will see the cost of players go up. Mahomes will more than likely become the first $40 to $50 million dollar QB so getting Dak signed soon is important and same goes for Smith and Zeke. I have seen some numbers that analyst are predicting the cap could be as high as $250 million for 2021 or greater. Players are going to want a much bigger piece of the pie. Remember the cap in 2019 is only $188.7 million (WOW only).

So would you rather wait until after 2020 to pay Zeke and Smith or extend them this year for 5 years each when you probably could save some 30 percent? Look at Dak and Lawrence if we would have gotten them signed either right after the season for Dak and before the season ended for Lawrence. Those contracts would have and in Dak's case will have been drastically different.

Sandyf

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For sure safety has to be a high pick in next year's draft also.
Well at least for the fans it has to be but we have seen how much the Cowboys value the safety spot and especially the SS spot. Safety will be in the discussion just doubt it is going to be as high on the list for them verses the fans.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
There isn't much harm in extending Zeke..... in fact the Year2 cap hit get lowered with the extension
The last 3 years become non-guaranteed Team Options

Year to Year.......Base...............Notes.......
2019.................. 3.8m............7.8m cap hit
2020...................9.1m.......... 5th year option
2021.................10.9m...........Franchise Tag
2022.................13.1m.......... Franchise Tag II
Total..................36.9m ................0m gtd

Longterm 4/60m extension
....... 15m signing bonus.........37m gtd..................6/73m total
Year........Base..........Prorate................Cap Hit
2019........1m.............3m + 4m(old)..........8m
2020........12m* ........3m + 2m..................7m .................*restructured down to 2m
2021.........9m............3m + 2m.................14m
2022........10m...........3m + 2m.................15m
2023........12m...........3m + 2m.................17m
2024........14m....................2m.................16m

Comparing Cap Hits
Year to Year- ........7.8m....9.1m....10.9m....13.1m
4yr extension.........8m......7m.........14m......15m..........17m.......16m

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What's wrong with a simple "we do not discuss contracts or negotiations with players in the media" instead of talking about early extensions with players? Ya know, the public won't know they failed, if they don't tell them they tried. Nothing wrong with testing the water behind closed doors and if a deal can't get done, neither the player nor the team takes any heat.

Do you see any of this crap from other teams? It is ridiculous how much these two magpies run their mouths about company business.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Its absolutely good business to reward players whose performance on the field warrants a new deal. Zeke has been at the top of the league every year he’s been on the field, mfs dont want to extend him but they want to extend some damn Anthony Brown lol
The Cowboys are a patient organization with a lot of good players. They are a young team and still have a lot of money to spend over the next several years, however, all that will change once they get some of their younger stars into second contracts. Which they will do in their time, not when the fans. With that said, the fan base needs to be patient as well and not worry about something they have absolutely no control over.

conner01

Reaction score
Zeke's contract is a priority according to Stephen. The question is why? Of course we have no real idea of the answer to that. As the OP stated there is no real reason to hurry into it. My personal opinion is that there is financial benefit to signing Zeke now instead of waiting until next offseason. Stephen seems dedicated to keeping as many of our very good players as possible for a SB run over the next few seasons. It could be that locking down corner stone players like Zeke and Jaylon now for lesser money may be a strategy to make it happen. Salaries go up ridiculously every FA season. Stephen now has first hand experience with that via DLaw. Just my opinion.
Lesser money maybe but with Zeke it’s probably about only paying while he still good
It will be a miracle if Zeke with his workload is still playing at 30
So if you want to extend him the sooner the better so you can walk away at 28-29

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Lesser money maybe but with Zeke it’s probably about only paying while he still good
It will be a miracle if Zeke with his workload is still playing at 30
So if you want to extend him the sooner the better so you can walk away at 28-29

Exactly. That’s why elite RBs are paid $$$.

Jerry and Co should have learned this from the Emmitt hold out in 93.

Pay Zeke and move on.

cern

Reaction score
What's wrong with a simple "we do not discuss contracts or negotiations with players in the media" instead of talking about early extensions with players? Ya know, the public won't know they failed, if they don't tell them they tried. Nothing wrong with testing the water behind closed doors and if a deal can't get done, neither the player nor the team takes any heat.

Do you see any of this crap from other teams? It is ridiculous how much these two magpies run their mouths about company business.
heard it about newton, Rodgers, Russell Wilson, roethlesberger, gurley, Khalil mack, kirk cousins, Garoppolo and a host of others. locally, we heard it about murray, dez, tony, zack, Lawrence and others. we will hear it about Deshaun Watson, mahomes and many others in the future. magpies are everywhere in the nfl. if they don't talk, the agents will. getting things public is how they gage fan interest in the players.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Zeke's contract is a priority according to Stephen. The question is why? Of course we have no real idea of the answer to that. As the OP stated there is no real reason to hurry into it. My personal opinion is that there is financial benefit to signing Zeke now instead of waiting until next offseason. Stephen seems dedicated to keeping as many of our very good players as possible for a SB run over the next few seasons. It could be that locking down corner stone players like Zeke and Jaylon now for lesser money may be a strategy to make it happen. Salaries go up ridiculously every FA season. Stephen now has first hand experience with that via DLaw. Just my opinion.

Sure it is...:popcorn:

He's gonna get the Demarco treatment....maybe even franchised for a season....then we cut bait.:rolleyes:

Frozen700

Reaction score
I honestly don’t see them getting done this offseason. I think Dak and amari do. Jaylon and zeke get done next offseason. See what goes on this upcoming season and see what we’ll have to pay them

No to Dak. Let's see another season of dude first