ITS: Cowboys Draft: Will 2020 Be A 2013 Rerun?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
That and the alternative was Reid at 18, whom they liked but didnt rate that highly.

Stephan said after the fact something to the effect of " We like Reid alot, but 18 was a little rich"

I think Reid was the "gun to their head" pick at 18 that year.
That approach bothers me. If you like a guy you like him. So instead you trade away from him and have to get Fredericks. Now it worked. But I don't think this I the correct approach. You trade down to get the same guy you want IMO. If you can't do that you don't trade down.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Come on, Stash. Terrance Williams was actually pretty good as a #2 for a while. He made a lot of big catches, TDs and long runs-after-the-catch during his time as a Cowboy. It's when he injured his foot at the end of 2017 that he went downhill quickly.

Screenshot-20200422-152024-Chrome.jpg

Yeah I liked him here especially getting him and Fredericks by trading down. He was a very good receiver. I knew his time in the league would be slowed if he lost athleticism or speed though. Which is what he did.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That approach bothers me. If you like a guy you like him. So instead you trade away from him and have to get Fredericks. Now it worked. But I don't think this I the correct approach. You trade down to get the same guy you want IMO. If you can't do that you don't trade down.
Its fails far more often than it works

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Cowboys Draft: Will 2020 Be A 2013 Rerun?
by Kevin Brady

It’s April 2013. The Dallas Cowboys’ 18th overall first round selection is coming up. On the clock are presumed studs like LSU safety Eric Reid, Oregon guard Kyle Long, and Notre Dame tight end Tyler Eifert.

Instead, the Cowboys decide to trade back to the end of the first round, allowing the 49ers to come up to grade Reid while gaining a third round pick that would become Terrance Williams. Later on in the night the Cowboys finally pick, taking lesser known Wisconsin center Travis Frederick.

The fanbase was confused, but years later no one would argue that Dallas made a mistake on draft night.
matthewlenix_player-news_cowboys-c-travis-frederick-sees-first-game-action-since-2018-preseason-3-1024x574.jpg

Now it’s April 2020 and the Cowboys are in a similar spot.

Still, trading back and allowing themselves to dip into both the back-half of a strong wide receiver class as well as add defensive talent at the end of round one might be the best course of action for the Dallas Cowboys.

(Continue reading): https://insidethestar.com/cowboys-draft-will-2020-be-a-2013-rerun/

What say you? :popcorn:

If those 3 defensive guys are not there, then trading back makes all the sense in the world.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
All depends on what's offered at 17 and what player has fallen that a team wants badly. What if Love is there at 17, someone's going up after him.

The other side of that is are any of the players that are in the top 12 of their board available? If Henderson were to fall, not likely, that would be the pick at 17. Then again, they might trade down and get the Center.

It will be interesting to see what there's a surprise run on in the first 15. WR's might be the wild card in the first 2 rounds.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
That's exactly what I was thinking.

"The fanbase was confused, but years later no one would argue that Dallas made a mistake on draft night."

Really? Because other than the Frederick pick, the Cowboys screwed the rest of the draft up pretty badly.

Anyone remember Gavin frickin' Escobar? The TE that this team drafted over Travis Kelce?

Or the fact that they took that goof Terrance Williams over Keenan Allen or Adam Theilen?

B.W. Webb?

The underwear thief and future felon Joseph Randle?

Other than the Frederick move, that draft was a disaster and one that should be avoided, not emulated.

This is a different draft. The strength of this draft is between around the 23rd pick and the 45th pick in the draft. If we can somehow get two guys from that range its a home run. Trading down makes all the sense in the world if our guys aren't there at 17.

Then we can use that extra pick to possibly move up in the 2nd round from pick 51. Or use the pick to move up into the 2nd round from the 3rd and have 2 2nd rounders.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
You wait to see who is available at 17 but trading back this year seems to play into the strengths of the draft and the needs of the team. You can still get a similarly rated player and get an extra pick right in the heart of the value in this draft. I'd even argue trading back twice might prove to be very worth it.
No and no.

You do not want to get too cute and overthink this.

This is where cabin fevor starts to set in.

This team has so many needs that it plays into our needs in the draft.

We do not have to reach for anything.

Dropping back twice would be insanity. We are not the Pat's who have won 6 SBs in the last decade.

Every pick is a crap shoot. But each move back lessens the chance the pick will excell for you.

That's just clear.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
One rumor around the Vikings was that Patterson was the Cowboys target at #31 until the Vikings traded up to steal him from them.

I researched it in the past and found a few links that backed that up, but none official sources of course.

But the argument was that the Cowboys just hired Derek Dooley and he was the Tenn coach where Patterson was at.
2013 was one of the years the Cowboys' draft board got leaked.

Cordarelle Patterson was their last remaining first round grade and would've been the pick if the Vikings didn't snipe him. Big yikes.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
LOL.

They panicked, got beat in the trade down, and messed up drafting Terrance Williams over Keenan Allen.

The only reason people try to pretend the Cowboys won is because Frederick turned out to be a stud. It's not like they knew Frederick was going to be the pick so far down the round. Stephen even admitted there were no more players left with a 1st round grade so they took Frederick and that they heard "Detroit really wanted him"

You can always tell when the Cowboys make a controversial or criticized pick because they immediately try to justify it. With Jaylon Smith it was "New England was about to draft him".
The real travesty was us having a 1st round grade on Cordarelle Patterson and 2nd round grade on DeAndre Hopkins.

I know hindsight is 20/20, but man, Nuk in a Cowboys uniform would've been amazing.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
by
Kevin Brady

It’s April 2013. The Dallas Cowboys’ 18th overall first round selection is coming up. On the clock are presumed studs like LSU safety Eric Reid, Oregon guard Kyle Long, and Notre Dame tight end Tyler Eifert.

Instead, the Cowboys decide to trade back to the end of the first round, allowing the 49ers to come up to grade Reid while gaining a third round pick that would become Terrance Williams. Later on in the night the Cowboys finally pick, taking lesser known Wisconsin center Travis Frederick.

The fanbase was confused, but years later no one would argue that Dallas made a mistake on draft night.
matthewlenix_player-news_cowboys-c-travis-frederick-sees-first-game-action-since-2018-preseason-3-1024x574.jpg

Still, trading back and allowing themselves to dip into both the back-half of a strong wide receiver class as well as add defensive talent at the end of round one might be the best course of action for the Dallas Cowboys.

(Continue reading): https://insidethestar.com/cowboys-draft-will-2020-be-a-2013-rerun/

None of them are in the NFL as of today. But Fredrick and Reid played last year.

jnday

Reaction score
No and no.

You do not want to get too cute and overthink this.

This is where cabin fevor starts to set in.

This team has so many needs that it plays into our needs in the draft.

We do not have to reach for anything.

Dropping back twice would be insanity. We are not the Pat's who have won 6 SBs in the last decade.

Every pick is a crap shoot. But each move back lessens the chance the pick will excell for you.

That's just clear.
I agree. Trading back to get more picks with 2nd round grades is not a good ideal. In the past, the drafts were known for the second round picks being busts. Jerry likes to gamble on at risk players in that range with hopes of getting bargains.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
by
Kevin Brady

This Kevin Brady guy is a moron!

He might as well paint moron on his forehead.

His Quote:
  • It’s April 2013. The Dallas Cowboys’ 18th overall first round selection is coming up. On the clock are presumed studs like LSU safety Eric Reid, Oregon guard Kyle Long, and Notre Dame tight end Tyler Eifert.
  • Instead, the Cowboys decide to trade back to the end of the first round, allowing the 49ers to come up to grade Reid while gaining a third round pick that would become Terrance Williams. Later on in the night the Cowboys finally pick, taking lesser known Wisconsin center Travis Frederick.
  • The fanbase was confused, but years later no one would argue that Dallas made a mistake on draft night.

Reality:

Travis Frederick
5× Pro Bowl
3x All-Pro
PFWA All-Rookie Team

Eric Reid
1x Pro Bowl

Kyle Long
3× Pro Bowl
1x All-Pro

Tyler Eifert
1x Pro Bowl

Frederick was the best player he listed AND Terrance Williams started 68 NFL games.

reddyuta

Reaction score
no problem trading back,an extra 3rd pick will come handy in picking a WR.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
This Kevin Brady guy is a moron!

He might as well paint moron on his forehead.

His Quote:
  • It’s April 2013. The Dallas Cowboys’ 18th overall first round selection is coming up. On the clock are presumed studs like LSU safety Eric Reid, Oregon guard Kyle Long, and Notre Dame tight end Tyler Eifert.
  • Instead, the Cowboys decide to trade back to the end of the first round, allowing the 49ers to come up to grade Reid while gaining a third round pick that would become Terrance Williams. Later on in the night the Cowboys finally pick, taking lesser known Wisconsin center Travis Frederick.
  • The fanbase was confused, but years later no one would argue that Dallas made a mistake on draft night.

Reality:

Travis Frederick
5× Pro Bowl
3x All-Pro
PFWA All-Rookie Team

Eric Reid
1x Pro Bowl

Kyle Long
3× Pro Bowl
1x All-Pro

Tyler Eifert
1x Pro Bowl

Frederick was the best player he listed AND Terrance Williams started 68 NFL games.
He used the wrong words. He meant the opposite.

joshjwp

Reaction score
You wait to see who is available at 17 but trading back this year seems to play into the strengths of the draft and the needs of the team. You can still get a similarly rated player and get an extra pick right in the heart of the value in this draft. I'd even argue trading back twice might prove to be very worth it.
The best mock I've done I actually traded back 3 times.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
That's exactly what I was thinking.

"The fanbase was confused, but years later no one would argue that Dallas made a mistake on draft night."

Really? Because other than the Frederick pick, the Cowboys screwed the rest of the draft up pretty badly.

Anyone remember Gavin frickin' Escobar? The TE that this team drafted over Travis Kelce?

Or the fact that they took that goof Terrance Williams over Keenan Allen or Adam Theilen?

B.W. Webb?

The underwear thief and future felon Joseph Randle?

Other than the Frederick move, that draft was a disaster and one that should be avoided, not emulated.

Lol, at least they hit on one, there was one draft they hit on none that comes to mind.

ghst187

Reaction score
I’ll be forever grateful and impressed with TWs 3rd and 15 catch in Seattle. That was fantastic!