ITS: Cowboys Draft: Will 2020 Be A 2013 Rerun?

John813

Reaction score
was about the only thing Rod got right in his time in dallas

Part of me wonders if his career would of gone differently if not for his surgery that went terribly wrong. I doubt he would of ever had the same impact on the DL as what Fred had on the OL however.

fivetwos

Reaction score
That's exactly what I was thinking.

"The fanbase was confused, but years later no one would argue that Dallas made a mistake on draft night."

Really? Because other than the Frederick pick, the Cowboys screwed the rest of the draft up pretty badly.

Anyone remember Gavin frickin' Escobar? The TE that this team drafted over Travis Kelce?

Or the fact that they took that goof Terrance Williams over Keenan Allen or Adam Theilen?

B.W. Webb?

The underwear thief and future felon Joseph Randle?

Other than the Frederick move, that draft was a disaster and one that should be avoided, not emulated.
I recall the Escobar pick. I think Tony Casillas announced it. I lost my mind.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I recall the Escobar pick. I think Tony Casillas announced it. I lost my mind.

Not once (Fasano), not twice (Marty B), but three frickin' times, this team wasted a 2nd round draft pick on a second TE that never paid off!
:banghead:

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. What's the saying for getting fooled that third time?
:huh:

Flamma

Reaction score
Anyone consider keeping our 17th pick and then trading up with Seattle if they really want Ruiz? Seattle trades back every year.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Not once (Fasano), not twice (Marty B), but three frickin' times, this team wasted a 2nd round draft pick on a second TE that never paid off!

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. What's the saying for getting fooled that third time?
Gavin Escobar.

fivetwos

Reaction score

What may have been worse than the pick itself was when they tried to force that dude into the offense.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What may have been worse than the pick itself was when they tried to force that dude into the offense.

I don't think I've ever seen a bigger wuss on the football field.

Even after three years, that guy still played like a scared rookie.

Doomsday101

Reaction score

I would not avoid drafting a TE in the 2nd just because it had failed before. Maybe doing better homework on the TE you are drafting.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would not avoid drafting a TE in the 2nd just because it had failed before. Maybe doing better homework on the TE you are drafting.

I would.

It's always been a terrible idea.

And it would be again this year.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I would.

It's always been a terrible idea.

And it would be again this year.

For me it depends on the player. I'm not say we should draft TE in this draft what I am saying I would not avoid drafting any position at a particular rd because it did not pan out before. If a QB drafted in the 1st rd fails you never draft a QB in the 1st rd again? For me it is about the player more so than the position.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For me it depends on the player. I'm not say we should draft TE in this draft what I am saying I would not avoid drafting any position at a particular rd because it did not pan out before. If a QB drafted in the 1st rd fails you never draft a QB in the 1st rd again? For me it is about the player more so than the position.

Oh yeah, I can understand that. That was simply a frustrating time watching them do it again and again and again knowing Witten was never coming off the field.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Oh yeah, I can understand that. That was simply a frustrating time watching them do it again and again and again knowing Witten was never coming off the field.

I agree with Witten in place there was no need to draft TE that high. In this draft I don't see this as an overly strong TE class.

jnday

Reaction score
How about avoiding a 2009 draft? How about never repeating that one again.
That draft was the worst ever IMO. Who else would think that their starters could not be upgraded , so they drafted strictly special teams players that couldn’t play their positions?

jnday

Reaction score
Damn....I already miss Fredrick
You are really going to miss him when the level of center play returns to the Phul Costa level. I have never seen one player upgrade an OL position like Frederick did.

GMO415

Reaction score
You are really going to miss him when the level of center play returns to the Phul Costa level. I have never seen one player upgrade an OL position like Frederick did.
Him and Stepnoski were awesome