It's early, but here's my 53 man roster

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Obviously, there could be some changes in the bubble guys, but I believe the numbers are pretty darn close on positions due to the quality of the players and the guys who are actually swing guys who can play DE or DT, etc.

3 QBs: Bledsoe, Henson, Romo

4 RBs: JJ, A-Train, Barber, Thompson (No room or need for Bickerstaff)

2 FBs: Polite, Barnes (because he's good on special teams).

4 TEs: Witten, Campbell, Robinson, Ryan/Pierce

6 WRs: Johnson, Glenn, Morgan, Crayton, Merritt, Copper (mainly as gunner)

10 OL: Adams, Allen, Johnson, Rivera, Vollers, Gurode, Peterman, Petitti,
Rogers, Tucker (not a throwaway yet)

1 Punter: McBriar
1 Kicker: Cundiff

7 DL: Ellis, Coleman, Spears, Canty, Ferguson, Glover, Johnson

7 LB: DAT, Singleton, James, Ware, Burnett, Fowler, Thornton/Ogubogu

5 CB: Newman, Henry, Glenn, Reeves, Thornton (Frazier is limited...he only
makes it if BP decides on 6 at this position)

4 S: Roy, Davis, Beriault, Scott/Reese (Scot may stick for special teams)

I think you can get by with 7 at DL and LB because Ware and Thornton or Ogubogu are both swing men who play DE pass rusher. You don't need a 3rd team NT like Carson because he's not that good, and you have a bunch of guys playing 3-4 DE who could easily play DT in a pinch (Coleman, CAnty, Spears, Johnson). I'm keeping extra OL because that's the most unsettled with guys who could go down...the depth is crucial, and none of the youngsters would make it to the practice squad, imo.

Practice Squad Possibilities: Goolsby, Ratliff, Shanle, Crowder, Noll or some OL, maybe another TE.

Some won't like not seeing Shanle or Ratliff on the final 53, but Shanle is smaller...Fowler has more upside inside, imo, and while Ratliff was a nice late pick, he doesn't bring anything special...he's not going to play with the guys in front of him, and it's looking like JOhnson brings an extra dimension.

dougonthebench

Cowboys Forever
Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
Obviously, there could be some changes in the bubble guys, but I believe the numbers are pretty darn close on positions due to the quality of the players and the guys who are actually swing guys who can play DE or DT, etc.

2 FBs: Polite, Barnes (because he's good on special teams).

4 TEs: Witten, Campbell, Johnson, Ryan/Pierce

Rogers, Tucker (not a throwaway yet)

7 DL: Ellis, Coleman, Spears, Canty, Ferguson, Glover, Johnson

7 LB: DAT, Singleton, James, Ware, Burnett, Fowler, Thornton/Ogubogu

makes it if BP decides on 6 at this position)

4 S: Roy, Davis, Beriault, Scott/Reese (Scot may stick for special teams)

I think you can get by with 7 at DL and LB because Ware and Thornton or Ogubogu are both swing men who play DE pass rusher. You don't need a 3rd team NT like Carson because he's not that good, and you have a bunch of guys playing 3-4 DE who could easily play DT in a pinch (Coleman, CAnty, Spears, Johnson). I'm keeping extra OL because that's the most unsettled with guys who could go down...the depth is crucial, and none of the youngsters would make it to the practice squad, imo.

Practice Squad Possibilities: Goolsby, Ratliff, Shanle, Crowder, Noll or some OL, maybe another TE.

Some won't like not seeing Shanle or Ratliff on the final 53, but Shanle is smaller...Fowler has more upside inside, imo, and while Ratliff was a nice late pick, he doesn't bring anything special...he's not going to play with the guys in front of him, and it's looking like JOhnson brings an extra dimension.

you might be right.

smashmouth

Benched
Reaction score
If Crowder blocks another punt i'm keeping him on the 53. I have no need for 2 FB's , they can run it out of a 2 tight end set and get the same results.
I'm concerned about Al Johnson after seeing him be tossed by a second stringer. I wouldn't cut him, but I'd have to see him again in another game.
No position is given to anyone I don't care who they are.

Anguillidae

Reaction score
You have 54 players on your roster. And who is TE Johnson, do you mean Robinson?

I think we will keep at least 8 LBs if we go with the 3-4 defence. Also two FBs is one too many. Parcells even mentioned, that he might keep no FBs at all.

I also think, that Tucker is gone...

Chuck 54

Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Tucker is gone. And we'll have 6 corners. No way to two FB's.
I'll be seriously surprised if Tucker is released despite his poor play. You have to have a starter and a backup. Right now we haven't even found the starter who can clearly take Tucker's spot yet, so the thought of having two guys better than him before it gets started would surprise me.

I think we'll be back to Vollers and Tucker at RT, and Rogers will soon be moved back to backup Adams at LT unless he can prove something to Parcells, and fast.

I'd like 6 corners...I'm just not sure any of them are worth keeping at #6...we'll see if Frazier is deemed worthy.

I kept 2 FB's because I don't think BP will feel comfortable with Polite as his only guy and I really want the kid to make the team as I think he'll be a better blocker than Barnes...I think Barnes will bring more to the special teams than another TE...we'll see.

The one I really struggled with was cutting Carson and keeping JOhnson...that one may not happen, but I really do think Ratliff's only chance is the practice squad.

blindzebra

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:

2 FBs: Polite, Barnes (because he's good on special teams). No way we keep 2 FBs.

4 TEs: Witten, Campbell, Johnson, Ryan/Pierce

Merritt was awful on Saturday and Crowder and Smith both out played Copper.

Rogers, Tucker (not a throwaway yet) Tucker will be lucky to last this week.

7 DL: Ellis, Coleman, Spears, Canty, Ferguson, Glover, Johnson Ratliff will make it.

7 LB: DAT, Singleton, James, Ware, Burnett, Fowler, Thornton/Ogubogu Shanle is not PS eligible and won't get cut.

makes it if BP decides on 6 at this position) Parcells said he's keeping 6.

4 S: Roy, Davis, Beriault, Scott/Reese (Scot may stick for special teams) Reese did nothing, Davis played poorly, and Scott was too slow to really make plays.

Comments in bold.

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
"Ratliff will make it".....I hope so.....I like this kid .....

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Anguillidae said:
You have 54 players on your roster. And who is TE Johnson, do you mean Robinson?

I think we will keep at least 8 LBs if we go with the 3-4 defence. Also two FBs is one too many. Parcells even mentioned, that he might keep no FBs at all.

I also think, that Tucker is gone...
yeppers...I fixed Robinson....I see no way we keep 8 LBs no matter what defense we run...you can only play 4 at a time...and I don't think they're that good.

We'll see about the FB's....I think he's full of it on no FB's...that won't happen...we don't have a TE/HB who would be a better lead blocker, and when you don't use one, the blitzes kill your running game.

As for the 54, I would cut down on the OL or cut Barnes...I really want a new lead blocker.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
"Ratliff will make it".....I hope so.....I like this kid .....
I hear you CB, but is he going to get any time over Ellis, CAnty, Spears, Coleman...that's 4 guys rotating at DE right there...He's a luxury I'm afraid, and a guy who might make it to the PS since he was 7th round material to begin with.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
If he truly keeps 6 CBs, then I guess here's not much competition for any of these guys...they'll all return from last year, because I don't see Lenny Williams or Nate Jones doing much.

I just think when BP looks at his 53 man roster, he's going to look beyond this year and see some guys on the OL and DL he wants to keep more than the 8th CB, be it Reeves, Frazier, or Thornton.

blindzebra

Reaction score
wayne_motley said:
I hear you CB, but is he going to get any time over Ellis, CAnty, Spears, Coleman...that's 4 guys rotating at DE right there...He's a luxury I'm afraid, and a guy who might make it to the PS since he was 7th round material to begin with.

Ratliff played DT in the nickel and some NT in the 3-4 on 2nd and 3rd team, respectively.

Rush 2112

Reaction score
Who's better, Shanle or Barnes? No chance we keep 2 FB's. Most 3-4 teams keep 8-10 LB's.

Ratliff sticks. Tucker's gone.

Merritt, Copper, Crowder is a real tough call. I try to find a way to keep Crowder and Merritt.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
K-Mart said:
There is no way Thornton makes it over Frazier.
I think they already know what they don't have in Frazier, a guy picked off another practice squad who started the rest of the year because we had nothing, but he didn't do much.

Thornton is a 4th round draft pick who was injured before they learned much about him...I think he'll make it...we don't have long to wait.

StateCollegeCowboy

aka BostonCowboy
Reaction score
wayne_motley said:

You may be right, but Ratliff still has 3 more games to force BP's hand.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
blindzebra said:
Ratliff played DT in the nickel and some NT in the 3-4 on 2nd and 3rd team, respectively.
Perhaps that versatility would get him on the team over Leonardo CArson then. I just see a lot of big, heavy bodies just like him this year...the competition for sticking on the DL will be incredible this year...if Parcells keeps them all, some other positions will have to cut back...

I'd certainly keep Ratliff over the guys we're looking at as the 6th CB.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Rush 2112 said:
Who's better, Shanle or Barnes? No chance we keep 2 FB's. Most 3-4 teams keep 8-10 LB's.

Ratliff sticks. Tucker's gone.

Merritt, Copper, Crowder is a real tough call. I try to find a way to keep Crowder and Merritt.
10 LB's...come on man...you must be joking...no way.

You still need more DL than LB's no matter what defense you play, and you haven't even gotten to the secondary yet.

I think Merritt sticks...I don't see Crowder sticking unless he's a better special teams performer than Copper....Copper was one of our best gunners last year, I believe...that's the only reason I kept him on the roster.