It's just a matter of time, muchachos

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Though the Cowboys might turn on the defensive firepower Sunday against the Bengals -- an interception, maybe, sacks and, at last, real pressure on the QB -- it could turn out to be a one-game abberation.

What I saw last Sunday was a mini-meltdown of our defensive strategy.
Missed tackles. A failure to pressure that kid QB (I salaute his grit and accuracy). Soft coverage (again) and the attendant lack of full man-to-man that this team is capable of.
I would be remiss to mention that, lastly, I was reduced to cleaning off Yahoo Chocolate Drink off my wall when we witnessed 12 men on defense. Ms. Busty looked on disapprovingly, arms akimbo. 12 men on the field. A good idea, actually, but, alas illegal in modern football.

It makes it difficult for this died-in-the-wool Cowboy fan (since 1957) to walk hard and live hard and truly believe in a defense that we all recognize has more talent than the lineup at the Mustang Ranch. Prototype defensive players, most of them first-rounders, selected and paid well by Jerra. So many great pieces that Wade and Stew seemingly cannot put together
into a consistent and cohesive unit.

Yes, before Wade was brought in (finally! a defensive genius, we enthused!) there were the smirks and wise-guy replies that came hurtling my way when I wondered what a Swoopes could do with the emerging defensive talent.
Incredibly naive some said. Remarkably insipid and inspired by a lack of footballl knowledge.

Now, today, with our defense facing lots of questions, is there any question that a Swoopes could have done worse?

But this is not about Swoopes or a similar hard-bitten football boss.

It's about Wade. And Stew. Two defensive gurus brought in to hosannas and tributes worthy of the Second Coming.

But I would have to say -- actually guess -- that many of you today if not already disillusioned with Wade/Stew now have second thoughts about Wade's traveling show.

It's not easy assailing a coach who is likable, self-effacing (except when he loses) and humble. A man who takes great pains in not publically calling out his players for mistakes (well except the 12th man Wade ridiculed just after the head coach said he took full responsibility for the awful game). An Everyman who just happened to be the son of another former NFL head coach. A journeyman defensive coach who became a defensive "guru" and then a HC.

But Wade is not the aggressive, fire-breathing coach that fits the profile of a Super Bowl coach. I cannot name another Super Bowl coach other than Marv Levy or Red Berry who were considered quiet, nice guys without the scorched-earth theory of a Jimma Johnson or Ditka, Ryan or Cowher.

Wade has to go, mein freundes.

He's not Super Bowl material. Never was. It's been debated in his other stops as HC as to whether he was even HC material. I cannot see Wade leading this team to the Super Bowl, must less a Super Bowl win.
Yes, fling invectives and flames at this loyal Cowboys fan who only wants to see his team be a SB winner. And who questions whether a Cupcake can turns into a pound cake if you will excuse the poor metaphor.

Yet, Wade can still be the coach that Jerra believes Wade can be.
But Wade is a loyal guy. He won't can Stew. He will, instead, march through this season with the soft pass defenses. The zone that Wade believes will not open his team up to getting burned deep. Instead his team will get burned in mid-field. Instead his defensive team will continue to allow the big runs off tackle or up the middle. So focuses is the line at pressuring the QB (a lofty goal for this team) that they are seeing the running backs zip by all too often. And then he'll shrug yet again and say "We're fine."

So we return to last Sunday's game. A 12th man does not represent a team in disarray.
But it does point to just another example of defensive lapses in which the team just flat out doesn't know what to do. Uninspired and underwhelming in intensity and fire and the elusive killer instinct.

Like you, I hope to see Jerra and Wade and Ware and Romo lift that Lombardini trophy in February.
Hope springs infernal in the mind of Jerra. Our beloved owner/GM has cobbled together a magnificent team. Jerra, you just need a leader for it now. It's just a matter of time, sir, when you will have a Gailey, Switzer or Campo epiphany and do the right thing. And it won't be too soon for many loyal fans.

I will be in my office mending my crown of thorns because I suffer for my team. You can flame away. Or not.
You can't hurt me anymore. Wade has already done that.

Join the September 28 GROW/GROS Peasants' Movement.

Kilyin

Reaction score
I cannot name another Super Bowl coach other than Marv Levy or Red Berry who were considered quiet, nice guys

Dungy..

Boysboy

Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;2303715 said:
Though the Cowboys might turn on the defensive firepower Sunday against the Bengals -- an interception, maybe, sacks and, at last, real pressure on the QB -- it could turn out to be a one-game abberation.

What I saw last Sunday was a mini-meltdown of our defensive strategy.
Missed tackles. A failure to pressure that kid QB (I salaute his grit and accuracy). Soft coverage (again) and the attendant lack of full man-to-man that this team is capable of.
I would be remiss to mention that, lastly, I was reduced to cleaning off Yahoo Chocolate Drink off my wall when we witnessed 12 men on defense. Ms. Busty looked on disapprovingly, arms akimbo. 12 men on the field. A good idea, actually, but, alas illegal in modern football.

It makes it difficult for this died-in-the-wool Cowboy fan (since 1957) to walk hard and live hard and truly believe in a defense that we all recognize has more talent than the lineup at the Mustang Ranch. Prototype defensive players, most of them first-rounders, selected and paid well by Jerra. So many great pieces that Wade and Stew seemingly cannot put together
into a consistent and cohesive unit.

Yes, before Wade was brought in (finally! a defensive genius, we enthused!) there were the smirks and wise-guy replies that came hurtling my way when I wondered what a Swoopes could do with the emerging defensive talent.
Incredibly naive some said. Remarkably insipid and inspired by a lack of footballl knowledge.

Now, today, with our defense facing lots of questions, is there any question that a Swoopes could have done worse?

But this is not about Swoopes or a similar hard-bitten football boss.

It's about Wade. And Stew. Two defensive gurus brought in to hosannas and tributes worthy of the Second Coming.

But I would have to say -- actually guess -- that many of you today if not already disillusioned with Wade/Stew now have second thoughts about Wade's traveling show.

It's not easy assailing a coach who is likable, self-effacing (except when he loses) and humble. A man who takes great pains in not publically calling out his players for mistakes (well except the 12th man Wade ridiculed just after the head coach said he took full responsibility for the awful game). An Everyman who just happened to be the son of another former NFL head coach. A journeyman defensive coach who became a defensive "guru" and then a HC.

But Wade is not the aggressive, fire-breathing coach that fits the profile of a Super Bowl coach. I cannot name another Super Bowl coach other than Marv Levy or Red Berry who were considered quiet, nice guys without the scorched-earth theory of a Jimma Johnson or Ditka, Ryan or Cowher.

Wade has to go, mein freundes.

He's not Super Bowl material. Never was. It's been debated in his other stops as HC as to whether he was even HC material. I cannot see Wade leading this team to the Super Bowl, must less a Super Bowl win.
Yes, fling invectives and flames at this loyal Cowboys fan who only wants to see his team be a SB winner. And who questions whether a Cupcake can turns into a pound cake if you will excuse the poor metaphor.

Yet, Wade can still be the coach that Jerra believes Wade can be.
But Wade is a loyal guy. He won't can Stew. He will, instead, march through this season with the soft pass defenses. The zone that Wade believes will not open his team up to getting burned deep. Instead his team will get burned in mid-field. Instead his defensive team will continue to allow the big runs off tackle or up the middle. So focuses is the line at pressuring the QB (a lofty goal for this team) that they are seeing the running backs zip by all too often. And then he'll shrug yet again and say "We're fine."

So we return to last Sunday's game. A 12th man does not represent a team in disarray.
But it does point to just another example of defensive lapses in which the team just flat out doesn't know what to do. Uninspired and underwhelming in intensity and fire and the elusive killer instinct.

Like you, I hope to see Jerra and Wade and Ware and Romo lift that Lombardini trophy in February.
Hope springs infernal in the mind of Jerra. Our beloved owner/GM has cobbled together a magnificent team. Jerra, you just need a leader for it now. It's just a matter of time, sir, when you will have a Gailey, Switzer or Campo epiphany and do the right thing. And it won't be too soon for many loyal fans.

I will be in my office mending my crown of thorns because I suffer for my team. You can flame away. Or not.
You can't hurt me anymore. Wade has already done that.

Join the September 28 GROW/GROS Peasants' Movement.

FWIW-Wade's D in Buffalo was tops in the league(in '99, they were #1).

We weren't very good tacklers when Tuna was here. Dunno how we can change that with any coach, really.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Boysboy;2303722 said:
FWIW-Wade's D in Buffalo was tops in the league(in '99, they were #1).

We weren't very good tacklers when Tuna was here. Dunno how we can change that with any coach, really.

Yeah, take Wade's side!!!!

Man you two guys are quick readers!!!
Hadn't even picked up the crown of thorns for refurbishing when you two responded. You have a future in speed reading.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Kilyin;2303721 said:

Dick "I cry like a girl" Vermeil, Joe "Three Rings" Gibbs, Bill Walsh, and George Seifert.

Want more?

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
You didn't think very hard, did you?

Walsh, Dungy, Flores, Belichick, and of course... Tom Landry. All off the top of my head in about five seconds.

Seriously, every one of your threads are the same. Stewart and Wade suck. We get it. Did you really need to start a new one?

Kilyin

Reaction score
Boysboy;2303726 said:
Dick "I cry like a girl" Vermeil, Joe "Three Rings" Gibbs, Bill Walsh, and George Seifert.

Want more?

He might. He said 'another' so I only provided him with the most recent one.

Boysboy

Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;2303725 said:
Yeah, take Wade's side!!!!

Man you two guys are quick readers!!!
Hadn't even picked up the crown of thorns for refurbishing when you two responded. You have a future in speed reading.

Who's taking Wade's side? Did I say I like him? I believe I said I wanted RON RIVERA here instead.

My pt was by next year, we're going to have these same problems we're having now, while 'ole Cupcake will be in The Big Easy having the Saints D wreck havoc on opposing offenses.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Boysboy;2303731 said:
Who's taking Wade's side? Did I say I like him? I believe I said I wanted RON RIVERA here instead.

My pt was by next year, we're going to have these same problems we're having now, while 'ole Cupcake will be in The Big Easy having the Saints D wreck havoc on opposing offenses.

Just funning wit you. ;) I thought it was apparent.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Doctor32;2303752 said:
Lovie Smith.
Andy Reid.
George Siefert.
Tom Landry.
Tom Flores.
Joe Gibbs.
Let's keep going...

And you know what? All have more fire in them in one nostril than Wade in his entire physique.

Yes, let's keep going. When you find a cupcake like Wade then you can stop.:)
The fact remains, Wade does not breathe fire and the players like him but do not fear him.
Simple and plain.

Kilyin

Reaction score
Doctor32;2303752 said:
Lovie Smith.

Lost to Dungy.

Let's clarify, is the criteria being a soft spoken coach that made it to a Superbowl, or actually won one? Either way, Gimme has already lost this round.

Boysboy

Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;2303759 said:
And you know what? All have more fire in them in one nostril than Wade in his entire physique.

Yes, let's keep going. When you find a cupcake like Wade then you can stop.:)
The fact remains, Wade does not breathe fire and the players like him but do not fear him.
Simple and plain.

I dunno-but the Philly fans and media have given Reid alot of flack for just THAT.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Kilyin;2303762 said:
Lost to Dungy.

Let's clarify, is the criteria being a soft spoken coach that made it to a Superbowl, or actually won one? Either way, Gimme has already lost this round.

Dungy has personnel with just that...FIRE-Peyton and Bob Sanders provide alot of that on game day.

The same can be said for Reid's personnel-if he doesn't have Brian Dawkins and Jon Runyan, the Iggs would be pretty mediocre.

Frankly-look at our personnel, and the same couldn't be said.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score
Kilyin;2303762 said:
Lost to Dungy.

No, no, no, mon ami.

It's not about "one round" (cute but simplistic metaphor) nor about his overall demeanor.

It's about inspiring his players and being the defensive guru we have yet to see. It's about having a brick wall of a defensive team that these players are capable of being. It's about leading and not looking beaten on the sidelines when your defensive team is being run over by a mediocre team.

Boxing can be over in "one round" but a team has to face 16 opponents. It's about the long haul and whether this year is destined to be another "we're fine" year.
I admire your loyalty and idolization of Wade. But in your heart you know there are lingering and growing doubts about Wade. He won't take us to the promised land. But when you have this talent, Jerra expects it. And so should we.

Boysboy

Reaction score
GimmeTheBall!;2303779 said:
No, no, no, mon ami.

It's not about "one round" (cute but simplistic metaphor) nor about his overall demeanor.

It's about inspiring his players and being the defensive guru we have yet to see. It's about having a brick wall of a defensive team that these players are capable of being. It's about leading and not looking beaten on the sidelines when your defensive team is being run over by a mediocre team.

Boxing can be over in "one round" but a team has to face 16 opponents. It's about the long haul and whether this year is destined to be another "we're fine" year.
I admire your loyalty and idolization of Wade. But in your heart you know there are lingering and growing doubts about Wade. He won't take us to the promised land. But when you have this talent, Jerra expects it. And so should we.

1) Nobody idolizes Wade

2) Wade can't motivate the players all by himself. There has to be guys on the team that have to step up and do so. For example, Andy Reid comes off as very soft, but he has guys like Brian Dawkins firing everyone up.

3) Why couldn't Parcells motivate anyone? Of course, he's notorious for being the GREATEST motivator, but he couldn't do anything either.