Its quite clear the Cowboys dont see running the ball

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
as important as they did last year. Last year they were clearly a team that ran the ball and made a point of doing it. All I can muster from the way they have acted this off season is that they are going back to a premium on the passing game. If you truly want to be a running football team, then you load up on backs and make sure you have all the horses you need to pound the football. I'm just not seeing that. And you certainly dont pass up on a gift like Fred Jackson falling into your lap when your backs are Dunbar, Mcchicken, and Randle.

Unless they REALLY think these backs can be a dominant committee. Which I see as foolish. No way they can know that based on the history of these backs. And of course a team like the Seahawks, that understands pounding the football is salivating at the opportunity to add the talented Jackson to their stable of backs.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Except they have said the exact opposite all offseason.

Also I love revisionist history. People dismayed at the state of the run game surely didn't think coming into last year we were in for a historic season and Murray was the next Jim Brown.

We will run the ball early, often and successfully.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score
So let me get this straight.

The cowboys don't see running the ball as important as last year because they didn't load up on RB's, and instead choose to rely on Dunbar, Mcfadden, and Randle. Who you believe will suck.

Yet at this exact time last year, we were bringing in a OC who was known for passing over 60% of the time, and were relying on a rookie in randle, and previously injured Dunbar, and a up to this point constantly injured Murrary who had one 1000 yard season.

And since of course the Cowboys are wrong in believing that there committee of this year can be just effective as the committee they had last year, they are in essence, saying we are going to pass the ball more.

Ok, got it!

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Garrett and Linehan already said the plan is the same to run the ball. Just in a little different ways. Even the players said this. They have their plans on how to approach it. If one wants to call in RBBC, then so be it. I don't think that means having all 3 split carries. Nor does it mean having a bell cow to overuse like they did Murray. Maybe at first we will see McFadden and Randle get the bulk of the carries. Rather that is 50-50, 60-40, or 65-35. And eventually one will emerge as the lead RB.
Now those numbers add up to 100, but that is for the carries between them. Dunbar will get his plays, so they keep telling us. But I won't try to figure a % of 64-33-3 between them.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I fully expect Dallas to continue to be a balanced offense. I don't know if Dallas will actually have more runs than passes as last season but I think Garrett and Linehan will continue to strive for a balanced attack.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Dallas will run the ball..just a little skeptical our guys can hold up to the beating. But I think lil dump passes will act like runs more this year than last as an extension of the run game. Especially since the OLine is good at getting to the second level.

Plankton

Reaction score
Or, perhaps they think that the backs that they have can and will produce.

I don't think that they feel that the run is less important. They have confidence in the personnel upfront, and of the collective abilities of the backs.

Now, I'm not a fan of the running backs on the roster, and I think they made a mistake in not securing a better option to replace Murray. They feel differently.

We'll see who is right.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
as important as they did last year. Last year they were clearly a team that ran the ball and made a point of doing it. All I can muster from the way they have acted this off season is that they are going back to a premium on the passing game. If you truly want to be a running football team, then you load up on backs and make sure you have all the horses you need to pound the football. I'm just not seeing that. And you certainly dont pass up on a gift like Fred Jackson falling into your lap when your backs are Dunbar, Mcchicken, and Randle.

Unless they REALLY think these backs can be a dominant committee. Which I see as foolish. No way they can know that based on the history of these backs. And of course a team like the Seahawks, that understands pounding the football is salivating at the opportunity to add the talented Jackson to their stable of backs.

Nope. They like the RBs that they have now. They also believe that if they have injuries or these RBs don't perform that they can get another RB if needed. It would likely require a trade and they might have to overpay in trade compensation compared to making a trade in the off-season but they believe that it could be done if necessary. McClay said in an interview recently "we can get a RB if needed but getting an OT would be very difficult".

Also, it's not impossible that they could add another RB after the cuts. I would not be shocked if they carried 4 RBs, at least in this time period while Hardy and McClain are suspended which creates 2 additional roster spots.

FYI, nice job sneaking in another Jackson thread.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I think the Cowboys believe if you block it up then almost anyone can run through it.

My only concern with the RB's is in goal line / short yardage situations. I want to see McFadden or Randle punch it in from the 1.

I feel like we will be better between the 10's but Murray was money inside the 10 yard line.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
That's just silly. This Offense has been built to run the ball. Just because they didn't go immediately and get a pet cat you wanted, doesn't mean they have given up on the run game. My guess is that since you called McFadden a silly name, that you will never be satisfied with anything he does here since that would not fit the agenda. I don't know what the run game will look like and I am not sold that the 3 backs currently on the roster will be the opening day backs either. I think Dunbar is in real jeopardy if a back gets cut that they like better. I just hope that all these guys that are so sure our run game will be non existent because we didn't sign back that other back, all come in and admit they were wrong when we run for over 2K this year as a TEAM.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You guys didnt want to trade for a 30 year old Adrian Peterson and are now ruing on passing up the 34 year old "gift" of Fred Jackson lol.

If we would've got Peterson the season would be over for the rest of the league.

We goofed that up.

He's the only player in the NFL I can say that about.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

No, I think the plan right now is to run it about like we did last year. The question is whether we have the backs to carry out that plan or whether we'll have to abandon it. Dallas appears to believe we do have those backs, although Stephen Jones is hedging those bets some by keeping the door open (which I think is just the smart thing to do, not a sign that he's unhappy with the backs).

My concern remains running with success on first down against eight-man fronts. I haven't seen us really do that yet this preseason while it helped establish our identity last year. The ability of Murray to bang or fall forward for yardage on early downs forced teams to devote more resources to stopping the run on those downs (although we didn't take advantage of that with play-action passes nearly as much as we should have ... because we were trying to establish that identity).

If we get stopped for no gain or lost yardage on those early downs, it gives the defense an advantage, and they'll eventually see if they can stop us with just seven defenders on first down at times to devote more resources to the passing game, knowing we're more likely to pass than gain zero or negative yardage on first down.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
I personally don't see much of any teams identity with the preseason process.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I think the Cowboys believe if you block it up then almost anyone can run through it.

My only concern with the RB's is in goal line / short yardage situations. I want to see McFadden or Randle punch it in from the 1.

I feel like we will be better between the 10's but Murray was money inside the 10 yard line.

That's a fair concern I think. I want to see them do it as well. It also the main reason I would like to keep Gus over Dunbar. I think Gus has a little more power in his run than Dunbar for sure and Randle as well. DMac can bring it if he wants to, but I don't think he is the goal line back. Randle will have to get "skinny" in the hole and slice his way in. Lots of backs have done this and I am sure he can do. But I think having a back with a little more power, like Gus would be more advantageous than Dunbar, who is just a McFadden light. If they do acquire another back after cut downs, I hope it is a young back with a little pop in his game.

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
That's a fair concern I think. I want to see them do it as well. It also the main reason I would like to keep Gus over Dunbar. I think Gus has a little more power in his run than Dunbar for sure and Randle as well. DMac can bring it if he wants to, but I don't think he is the goal line back. Randle will have to get "skinny" in the hole and slice his way in. Lots of backs have done this and I am sure he can do. But I think having a back with a little more power, like Gus would be more advantageous than Dunbar, who is just a McFadden light. If they do acquire another back after cut downs, I hope it is a young back with a little pop in his game.

I think if one of the Rawls or Christian Michael is available we go get him they fit more to what Stephen said yesterday.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I think if one of the Rawls or Christian Michael is available we go get him they fit more to what Stephen said yesterday.

Very well could be. And if that is their hope, why not flip a pick for the one they like better? I know it sucks to give up a pick for someone that is going to get cut but it also assures we get the player, which would not be the case on the waiver wire. I would flip a 7th for a young back that will be cut if I thought he would help the team.