It's time for a brutally honest roster talent evaluation

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Mike McCarthy is a good hire. He gives us a realistic chance to maximize the talent we have, but perhaps more importantly, he gives us the opportunity to have a fresh set of eyes to evaluate this team’s roster. This team needs a really good offseason to evaluate its talent and upgrade where needed.

One of the weaknesses of our organization the last two decades is too often having a rosy estimate of our talent. The best NFL GMs are willing and able to look at players critically and determine how much tread is on the tire of a player and their true value in a hard salary cap.

I’m of the opinion that most of us as fans, and sadly even the Jones power brokers, tend to overvalue our talent. That’s normal for fans. It’s not normal for a good front office.

With that in mind, here are some positions and roster spots (in no particular order) I believe need some real scrutiny:
  • LT- Truly one of the 3 most important positions on a team includes LT. From 2011-2018, Tyron Smith was one of the best players in the NFL and perhaps even the best player on the Cowboys roster. But back and knee injuries have made Ty Smith a lot more human. We need to consider that his days as a top LT are winding down.
  • Safety- a no brainer. We haven’t had great talent at this position for too long. It’s time for this team to invest in a premium draft pick at a long time position of need.
  • DT- a close second to safety in obvious need. Another position where we have settled for mid-late round draft picks or cheap retreads. It’s past time to address this position early in the draft.
  • WR- Amari Cooper is a great talent and he certainly helped this team for two years. But I don’t believe in investing huge cap space on a position that is one of the easiest to find talent. Michael Gallup’s emergence also makes giving huge cap dollars to Cooper less attractive. I favor moving on from him and saving some cash.
  • LB- I still believe a healthy LVE is a great talent. I’m a little concerned about Jaylon after his big contract but he’s still certainly a talent. This team still needs LB talent. We should probably say goodbye to Sean Lee though. Love the guy and what he has meant to this team. But it’s better to cut a guy a year early than too late.

• Guard- I’m not convinced that Connor Williams is a starter. He’s ok at best. Maybe Connor Macgovern is an upgrade and Williams just becomes a decent backup. But this position needs to be addressed.

• TE- Jason Witten needs to go. He’s a HOFer but he’s done. We need another TE probably from the draft to complement the emergence of Blake Jarwin.
There are probably more positions of need not mentioned above. But it’s certainly clear this team needs upgrades at multiple positions. In general, I would say the defense has the most glaring needs. But I also hope Coach Mac is able to bring a more discerning eye on this roster. And that we can stop being married to a player too long because “we love them”.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy is a good hire. He gives us a realistic chance to maximize the talent we have, but perhaps more importantly, he gives us the opportunity to have a fresh set of eyes to evaluate this team’s roster. This team needs a really good offseason to evaluate its talent and upgrade where needed.

One of the weaknesses of our organization the last two decades is too often having a rosy estimate of our talent. The best NFL GMs are willing and able to look at players critically and determine how much tread is on the tire of a player and their true value in a hard salary cap.

I’m of the opinion that most of us as fans, and sadly even the Jones power brokers, tend to overvalue our talent. That’s normal for fans. It’s not normal for a good front office.

With that in mind, here are some positions and roster spots (in no particular order) I believe need some real scrutiny:
  • LT- Truly one of the 3 most important positions on a team includes LT. From 2011-2018, Tyron Smith was one of the best players in the NFL and perhaps even the best player on the Cowboys roster. But back and knee injuries have made Ty Smith a lot more human. We need to consider that his days as a top LT are winding down.
  • Safety- a no brainer. We haven’t had great talent at this position for too long. It’s time for this team to invest in a premium draft pick at a long time position of need.
  • DT- a close second to safety in obvious need. Another position where we have settled for mid-late round draft picks or cheap retreads. It’s past time to address this position early in the draft.
  • WR- Amari Cooper is a great talent and he certainly helped this team for two years. But I don’t believe in investing huge cap space on a position that is one of the easiest to find talent. Michael Gallup’s emergence also makes giving huge cap dollars to Cooper less attractive. I favor moving on from him and saving some cash.
  • LB- I still believe a healthy LVE is a great talent. I’m a little concerned about Jaylon after his big contract but he’s still certainly a talent. This team still needs LB talent. We should probably say goodbye to Sean Lee though. Love the guy and what he has meant to this team. But it’s better to cut a guy a year early than too late.

• Guard- I’m not convinced that Connor Williams is a starter. He’s ok at best. Maybe Connor Macgovern is an upgrade and Williams just becomes a decent backup. But this position needs to be addressed.

• TE- Jason Witten needs to go. He’s a HOFer but he’s done. We need another TE probably from the draft to complement the emergence of Blake Jarwin.
There are probably more positions of need not mentioned above. But it’s certainly clear this team needs upgrades at multiple positions. In general, I would say the defense has the most glaring needs. But I also hope Coach Mac is able to bring a more discerning eye on this roster. And that we can stop being married to a player too long because “we love them”.

Agreed with everything. Our whole D-line is in need. I like Quinn, but he's getting old. We need a young DE to compliment D-Law. We need 2 stuffing DT's. Woods was good every 3 games (not counting his games where he was injured). CB. We have 3 FA CB's. I want to tag Byron as he might be better at tracking the ball under a new defensive scheme, but I'm not sure.

We have lot of evaluating to do. I also want faster players. If you look at the Chiefs and 49ers, a lot of their players have bursts and speed. Our players are slow in comparison. We need to pay attention in the combine and observe the speed of players in positions we need.

johneric8

Reaction score
I honestly can't evaluate this roster until a new coach comes in. Garrett was lame duck all of last year because the team knew he was going to get let go. I watched so many clips of players running off the field ignoring his high five attempts I actually felt sorry for him. All the players that we complain about could potentially look totally different with a different diet and mindset. Take tristen hill for example, I'm willing to bet that he is already visiting the Panchos buffet at least 3 times a week getting his girth where it needs to be. Once he puts on some more flab and coached up he probably will end up in the pro bowl... Lets just all relax and stop with the over evaluations because none of us are good enough to sniff a GM job.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I honestly can't evaluate this roster until a new coach comes in. Garrett was lame duck all of last year because the team knew he was going to get let go. I watched so many clips of players running off the field ignoring his high five attempts I actually felt sorry for him. All the players that we complain about could potentially look totally different with a different diet and mindset. Take tristen hill for example, I'm willing to bet that he is already visiting the Panchos buffet at least 3 times a week getting his girth where it needs to be. Once he puts on some more flab and coached up he probably will end up in the pro bowl... Lets just all relax and stop with the over evaluations because none of us are good enough to sniff a GM job.
Apparently the only thing one must have to become a GM is enough money to buy a team. Jerry qualifies as a GM the night his check to buy the team cleared the bank.

Verdict

Reaction score
I have been saying this for some time. You have to self evaluate. You have to compare the value of the player vs the value of the cap. You also have to consider what your opportunity cost is for keeping the player.

Cooper is a good example of that. He may be the best we have but he’s not a top 5 player so you shouldn’t pay him as if he is. He is probably a 10-20 WR. Davante Parker is every bit as good as him and he just extended for $10m per year. Why pay Cooper $20m per?

Witten is the feel good story and a hall of famer that makes us appreciate greatness. But Tony Dorsett was great at one time too and that doesn’t mean he should still be a cowboy. This nostalgia has to go. Him and Lee have been here far too long.

Tyron Smith MAY still have something left in the tank and he is good value, but if you wait until he has nothing left you will take a cap hit and get nothing for him. Same with Zac Martin.

Tyrons days are numbered. If you can flip Tyron for a first (and maybe a 4th) then do it and get something out of him. The breakdown is coming.

Do the same with Martin. Neither one are as dominant as they were. If Creed Humphries is the best player on your board when you draft you pull the trigger, trade FredBeard for a first and move on.

NE is the BEST at not falling in love with a player. Even Brady was on the hit list. The only reason he is still with the Patriots is Kraft. Turns out The Hoodie was right, Brady fell off the cliff this year and Garroppolo is one game from the SB.

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
That meme is very disrespectful to my Lord and Savior Jesus. Wow

JayFord

Reaction score
The defensive backfield isnt impressive not one bit

jones more than likely walks and awuzie has no business starting anymore

lewis is solid

Woods is ok and Heath either needs to be tried at linebacker or put on special teams hes no starter

the LBs had a crap year but im not worried moving forward

de is fine DT needs a 1st round pick BADLY

offense is fine.....i would draft a LT early and a TE that can run

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
Dallas needs a much better QB in the fold to serve 2 purposes, push Dak a little and to be able to come in and play if Dak gets hurt. We do not know what we have in Cooper Rush as he never gets to play. But we need a better back up plan at QB for sure. Draft or FA.

JayFord

Reaction score
Though however

i do need to see this current squad with play calling that the whole league isn’t familiar with

Keithfansince5

Reaction score
The notion that we need first round talent at every OL position is insane. However, having first round talent at all or most of the DL positions is absolutely proven to work. We do not need a single OL in the draft. We need DL in the draft. Build the defense for once.

blueblood70

Reaction score
you cant fix all the holes in one year and TS contract also in play and the fact even at Human hes a top 5 LT..we stand pat for 2 more seasons while maybe Cwill is afutire Rt and we kick LC over to left.
yes a draft need or bpa whichever comes first or a fa again draft first, fa second for money reasons.
yes maybe two
  • WR- Amari Cooper is a great talent and he certainly helped this team for two years. But I don’t believe in investing huge cap space on a position that is one of the easiest to find talent. Michael Gallup’s emergence also makes giving huge cap dollars to Cooper less attractive. I favor moving on from him and saving some cash
tough one, try gettig him at 17 per or grab one somewhere..if we can get him under 18 hes worth keeping
I think we are ok maybe for depth a fa 3rd day guy
    we have that covered, too many holes to fill to adress line again
  • TE- Jason Witten needs to go. He’s a HOFer but he’s done. We need another TE probably from the draft to complement the emergence of Blake Jarwin
not sure where to adress this possibly a vet with some years left but try to develop jarwin into a flex te moved around a lot in motion type

John813

Reaction score
Cowboys had a starting QB and stud RB on rookie contracts and blew it.

1 playoff win.

Now, they are due or had received huge raises and we have the highest paid offensive line, with 3 of the 5 nearing or at 30 years old and getting in the meat of their deals.

I can't see how this team can acquire potentially high talent in those listed areas except through the draft.
Now, you don't need studs at every spot, but you need competent to good players in key areas. Spots where the talent has been weak for years like at DT and safety for example.

InTheZone

Reaction score

Needs:
Offense - QB, LG
Defense - 2 tackles, 2 linebackers, 2 CBs, and only when the front is fixed do you look at safety for an upgrade.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
  • LT- Tyron is going to continue to wear down and thus a swing tackle must be kept. But you aren't replacing him without using a top 10 pick. Connor Williams may well be the back up LT next year. He has the quickness but will need even more strength and lots of technique work. Can CWill do the job the 3-4 games a year you project Tyron likely misses? I am guessing yes.
  • Safety- This position is in dire straits. Might have to resign Heath AND draft someone in early rounds.
  • DT- Used top pick last year at DT but to zero immediate return. Concerning but not shocking. You drafted a 21 year old to play interior DL, lol.
  • WR- I'd draft a WR every year. Position often takes a couple seasons to develop, they make great special teamers quite often and about the time you pay them massive money they go crazy.
  • LB- Jaylon is going to be fine but you'd like to use him more often in attack mode. He is a north/south guy like Derrick Henry.
  • Guard- I really like the DAL OG depth so am willing to shift CWill outside and leave McGovern to battle Looney and others inside.

• TE- Should be a top priority. Great TEs pressure a defense in unique ways and DAL has felt that via Ertz for years. They need to challenge defenses with a real TE next year.
Others

CB: This position will face scrutiny as 2 of the top 4 are Free Agents. Need one of them back or to add a starter via draft or FA.
P: Time to seriously test Jones in camp and possibly move on. Numbers last year were atrocious and he's not a cheap punter.
RB: Need a real 3rd RB who can offer something unique.

I honestly don't see any way they make a complete move to a 3-4 next year.
Too many guys they will keep have never played in one and you only have so many draft picks and so much FA cash to play with.
But I do hope they go multiple and play it at least some.
Some offenses really struggle versus one or the other.
Changing at half time like NE was a crazy effective move.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

I can evaluate the results over the last 24 years:

6 head coaches
21 starting QBs
1 GM

Our GM sucks.

Garrett this, Garrett that, I don't know if half of this board is in denial or just rationalizing, but things weren't going along smoothly before Garrett. This trend predates him by over a decade.

I've lost track of how many "windows" we've allegedly had but I do know the Titans accomplished more in the last 10 days than the Cowboys have done this century.

No one other than Jerry Jones would hire Jerry Jones to be his GM.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Amari and Tryon are staying, I think both are locks to stay and very likely to play better.

Conner Williams is better than OK, but if McGovern beats him out great. We will have six starting caliber OL next year and that's pretty rare in the NFL.

DT will be a FA who comes in after playing before in the McCarthy Mafia TM

Something to watch for at Safety is that Derwin James was projected to go in the top ten but dropped to the 17th spot in the draft for the Rams because safeties aren't usually drafted that high. Dallas drafts in that same spot at 17 and the same thing could happen this year.

TE is the real question mark, I have no idea which way they go.

LittleD

Reaction score
The fans and even this forum has overrated the talent and quality of the players on this team. Yes, we still compete pretty well with teams we
are clearly better than except for the Jets. We have always played down to competition and sometimes we just get outschemed. We have way
too many players who consistantly make business decisions on the field. Does anyone think we could complete realistically against the Chiefs or
49ers this year. I don't.