It's time for a brutally honest roster talent evaluation

J_Allen

Reaction score
Has anyone considered moving Collins to LT and Smith to RT with Connor Williams also competing to be the starter?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The Tyron health scare is the most over-rated narrative on this forum.

All we heard in 2017 was his impeding doom and then he went and played better in 2018. Heard the same narrative this year and the only major set-back he had was a fluke impact collision, his 40 million dollar QB crashing into his ankles (that same injury would of happend to ANY tackle that was on the field that play). If it wasn't for a fluke injury this would of been his healthiest season since 2016......... (let's slow our roll on his impeding doom).

If you want to talk health issues are LG Connor Williams has had knee surgery in his last 3 seasons. He's not durable at all and most think he's under-sized for the position. 4 total knee surgeries so far and he's only 22.......

You want to talk real health issues Amari cooper. He has literally disappeared in the 2nd half of the season in 2 of the last 3 years. Not sure if that's someone you want to give 3 years of guranteed high dollar money to

I don't think the Tyron health scare was overrated. Chronic back issues are bad news and end careers. He didn't look like he could last. But I think he has turned the corner with his health. Not that the risk has disappeared, but he doesn't seem to be playing physically limited anymore. A huge development for us. And I agree that this year was just an injury like anyone could get. Not a cause for concern in itself, or a continuation of his chronic back problem.

Williams is down my list on health issues. He's not that important, and it seems like the NFL knows how to fix knees.

My top health issues are LVE, Jaylon, and Cooper.

LVE didn't just have an injury, permanent issues were brought to light for his spine and balance, plus the need for a spinal disk fusion. Jaylon's dropfoot looked worse as the year went on. He ain't right, and he wasn't right from game one of the season.

And I know I'm going out on a limb here, but from his play and his interviews, Cooper looks clinically depressed to me.

All these guys seem to have *conditions*, not injuries that will just heal. In 2018 it looked like they would be the young Pro Bowl playmakers of the team as far as the eye could see. Not so much anymore.

And Jaylon's contract is guaranteed *for injury* through 2022. Brutal.

kskboys

Reaction score
No, it means I seriously have more critical thinking skills than a 10 year old.

Here is what you are saying -

Person A works full time in an NFL front office, in charge of scouts, coaches and front office people 24/7. He lives and breathes it and is judged on it for 30 years, good and bad.

Person B reads a few articles about it from sportswriters who spend a few hours a day around the people working for Person A.

It takes a 10 year old or a blind hater to say that Person A knows absolutely nothing and Person B knows more. That has nothing to do with "blinders", its common sense.[/QUOTE/]

You appear to have a disconnect as to how front offices work. There are many many front office people in different types of business who don't have a clue as to the details.

I don't know what type of critical thinking skills you are claiming to have, but you definitely left them at home on this topic.[/QUOTE/]

kskboys

Reaction score
Brutally honest...........Need to get alot bigger on defense....bigger corners.....Jeff Heath is just a modern day Bill-bates.....awuzie and brown are pee-wee height....jones probably walks....I think mccarthy starts building through the draft with a whole new regime...
Bill Bates had like one year starting in his entire career.

aria

Reaction score
Im not suggesting you “buy in”. But do you hate the hire and if so, why?

Why hate everything and assume the worst about everything?
No, I don’t hate the hire but I’m not ecstatic about it until proven otherwise. Record be damned, I thought McCarthy called very conservative games although I am looking forward to his alleged “transformation” or whatever you want to call it during his year off. I am also strongly skeptical of what he can do without a HOF QB taking snaps, hopefully he proves me wrong.

Minus the QB position this has to be one of the best rosters he’s ever had (as over rated as it is IMO). He better make the playoffs the first year, no excuses.

Oh...and I don’t hate everything, I just don’t get giddy and start waving pom poms over every move we make or over every W we get. After 20+ years of disappointment I’d rather not get my hopes up only to be let down again and again and again although I did try it 2 years ago and had the same results.

I’d say I’m more of a realist, not negative nancy like 90% of the people in the live game threads after we go down one TD in the first quarter but I also wasn’t on the hype train like a lot of people were after beating 3 of the worst teams in the league to start off 3-0.

75boyz

Reaction score
No, I don’t hate the hire but I’m not ecstatic about it until proven otherwise. Record be damned, I thought McCarthy called very conservative games although I am looking forward to his alleged “transformation” or whatever you want to call it during his year off. I am also strongly skeptical of what he can do without a HOF QB taking snaps, hopefully he proves me wrong.

Minus the QB position this has to be one of the best rosters he’s ever had (as over rated as it is IMO). He better make the playoffs the first year, no excuses.

Oh...and I don’t hate everything, I just don’t get giddy and start waving pom poms over every move we make or over every W we get. After 20+ years of disappointment I’d rather not get my hopes up only to be let down again and again and again although I did try it 2 years ago and had the same results.

I’d say I’m more of a realist, not negative nancy like 90% of the people in the live game threads after we go down one TD in the first quarter but I also wasn’t on the hype train like a lot of people were after beating 3 of the worst teams in the league to start off 3-0.

When I see a fellow fan's post with whom I so totally agree with that it is a proverbial "you took the words right out of my mouth" example I feel obligated to point that out. You have done that here bro.

Agree with every last word.
Great job.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You and I just disagree. No big deal. It’s what this forum is all about. I have always appreciated your strong opinions- even the ones we disagree on. There is no doubt you love the Cowboys...and so do I. We both love the Cowboys. I want them to win another championship. We just disagree on some details- that’s all.

Here’s the problem I have- not with anything you’ve said, but with some comments made by a few on this thread and other recent threads- When we disagree with someone, it’s very disrespectful to a fellow Cowboys fan to call their opinion “hate” or worse, to tell them to “go cheer for some other team”. That is ridiculous and should stop. Again, not saying you’ve done it K but it’s been happening too much on this and other threads.

If I didn’t love the Cowboys, I wouldn’t waste my time posting so many opinions. Some of my opinions are probably wrong too, LOL! But it’s fun to have opinions about my favorite team. Let’s direct our frustration toward someplace Like the ”City of Brotherly Shove“ instead of each other.

Just keep in mind that when @Bobhaze disagrees with @Kaiser , that @Bobhaze is wrong.

It's like Gilligan vs the Professor. You're Gilligan in that scenario...

I don't know what you think you have ever done to deserve to even question somebody that has proven over and over to know more than you know.

75boyz

Reaction score
I agree with all except WR. Give Coop another year to prove himself with Big Mike although I don't know if that's possible with the salary implications. I have a hard time abandoning a QB/WR team that went for that many yards though with so much of the team falling apart. I have to believe they'll get better next year.

Most disappointing position on that list is LB. That was supposed to be our strongest just one year ago. Hindsight is 20/20, but if LVE is an injury bust when we knew he already had this issue, that's some wasted draft picks the last few years. We were going pretty strong right up until Dak/Zeke's draft year, and then it went off the tracks a little bit.

Some of this almost depends on which defensive formation we're predominantly going towards. We need a fat guy at DT no matter what though.

Agree with most and your reasoning as well. I am a little concerned at seemingly chronic nagging health issues on Cooper as well as last year's highly publicized no show road game woes. So I am not a hundred percent sold on a long term commitment to Coop but a one yr franchise tag is a large cap hit so I'm kind of on the fence with this decision as you mentioned here as well.
Good post.

kskboys

Reaction score
Just keep in mind that when @Bobhaze disagrees with @Kaiser , that @Bobhaze is wrong.

It's like Gilligan vs the Professor. You're Gilligan in that scenario...

I don't know what you think you have ever done to deserve to even question somebody that has proven over and over to know more than you know.
This is one of those posts that I'd give a thousand likes to if I could.

Kaiser

Reaction score

So fill us in, what is your exact knowledge of the Dallas Front Office and Jerry specifically? Be specific. Did you work there? Another part of another NFL team? Have you even met anyone there even once?

Kaiser

Reaction score
Here’s the problem I have- not with anything you’ve said, but with some comments made by a few on this thread and other recent threads- When we disagree with someone, it’s very disrespectful to a fellow Cowboys fan to call their opinion “hate” or worse, to tell them to “go cheer for some other team”. That is ridiculous and should stop. Again, not saying you’ve done it K but it’s been happening too much on this and other threads.

Sure, I don't question your fandom and I always try to avoid the "go root for another team stuff". If I didn't respect you I would argue with you, I put people on ignore if they are just a waste of time and I have at least a dozen people on that list. If you look I have hit "like" on almost everyone here and also argued with the same people.

But IMO there are people here that clearly hate Jerry and their posts are substance free, just posts to rip Jerry. That WhyJerry is a good example, he started a thread at midseason to say we were .500 so he was giving up his fandom. That isn't fandom or analysis, its free therapy in a public setting.

kskboys

Reaction score
So fill us in, what is your exact knowledge of the Dallas Front Office and Jerry specifically? Be specific. Did you work there? Another part of another NFL team? Have you even met anyone there even once?
Exact knowledge:

Jerry is a terrible GM. Not only do the facts point toward that monumentally, Jerry himself has publicly admitted that he is a terrible GM. A person would have to seriously go out of their way to avoid the mountain of facts that point toward Jerry being a terrible GM.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Exact knowledge:

Jerry is a terrible GM. Not only do the facts point toward that monumentally, Jerry himself has publicly admitted that he is a terrible GM. A person would have to seriously go out of their way to avoid the mountain of facts that point toward Jerry being a terrible GM.

Show us the link of Jerry saying that. Then back up the statement you have ducked repeatedly - How does a casual fan know more than an NFL owner and what exactly do you know about the operation of a NFL front office.

"I have bad feels" isn't knowledge, its an excuse. Back up your posts with facts.

75boyz

Reaction score
Exact knowledge:

Bizarre sacred cow treatment of Jerry the GM baffles me as well.
I mean I can't tell you why water is wet, the sky is blue and grass is green but they are.

The same way I can say 29 out of 32 team's General Managers have managed to build team's that have at least appeared in a championship game in the last 23 years. Some multiple times. Some Super Bowls. Some multiple Super Bowls.

The GM of the Dallas Cowboys whose job description( I don't think I need a Wikipedia definition do I?) has failed miserably.

Simple as that.

Not sure the obsession with this "not being some mystery observer" in the Front Office shtick is coming from. The GM's job is team building towards achieving Super Bowls which he hasn't done based on bottom line results. Period.

I don't have the link or even care to look it up but didn't Jerry himself say that he would have fired himself as a this team's GM job performance?

Is that the question?

Who cares. He sucks as a GM. Plain and Simple.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Show us the link of Jerry saying that. Then back up the statement you have ducked repeatedly - How does a casual fan know more than an NFL owner and what exactly do you know about the operation of a NFL front office.

"I have bad feels" isn't knowledge, its an excuse. Back up your posts with facts.
Couple of points here:
  • Jerry has said publicly that he would have fired himself as GM. That’s common knowledge. Doesn’t need to be proven. If so, you can look it up.
  • The only thing I need to know about the operation of a front office or it’s GM is the results they get. The results Jerry has been getting as GM since 1995 are mediocre at best.
You don’t have to be an “expert” about NFL front offices to know Jerry isn’t a great GM. 3 playoff wins in 24 years...what else is needed?

75boyz

Reaction score
Couple of points here:
  • Jerry has said publicly that he would have fired himself as GM. That’s common knowledge. Doesn’t need to be proven. If so, you can look it up.
  • The only thing I need to know about the operation of a front office or it’s GM is the results they get. The results Jerry has been getting as GM since 1995 are mediocre at best.
You don’t have to be an “expert” about NFL front offices to know Jerry isn’t a great GM. 3 playoff wins in 24 years...what else is needed?

Yeah Bob, I was just really baffled by anyone that could even hint at saying the GM performance has been anything but very poor.
Struck me as very odd is all...

Kaiser

Reaction score
Jerry isn’t a great GM. 3 playoff wins in 24 years...what else is needed?

Its going to take longer to get my answer than for Gilligan to get off the Island. I've said Jerry isn't a great GM and I've said I would have fired Jerry after the Dave Campo era. I've said Jerry is like a STD, fun at the very start but now its a condition you have to manage.

But what pages and pages of this thread are about it is this silly claim that an average fan who reads a few news articles knows more than Jerry. And Jerry knows absolutely nothing even though he is a 30 year owner with a HOF jacket.

That's my point, its nonsense to claim Jerry knows absolutely nothing. Its a child's tantrum, not a serious statement.