It's time for a brutally honest roster talent evaluation

blueblood70

Reaction score
Based on Collins' play at RT this year, there's no way I move him back to guard.
exactly thats a waste

hes more a candidate to kick over to LT and a player like Cwill or another go to RT..TS has one or two years left, after 2 years he can be cut with little cap hit.. so if im panning this I see LC as a better LT as hes left handed and took sometime adjusting to the right side..we have players to play LG..

starfan1

Reaction score
Mike McCarthy is a good hire. He gives us a realistic chance to maximize the talent we have, but perhaps more importantly, he gives us the opportunity to have a fresh set of eyes to evaluate this team’s roster. This team needs a really good offseason to evaluate its talent and upgrade where needed.

One of the weaknesses of our organization the last two decades is too often having a rosy estimate of our talent. The best NFL GMs are willing and able to look at players critically and determine how much tread is on the tire of a player and their true value in a hard salary cap.

I’m of the opinion that most of us as fans, and sadly even the Jones power brokers, tend to overvalue our talent. That’s normal for fans. It’s not normal for a good front office.

With that in mind, here are some positions and roster spots (in no particular order) I believe need some real scrutiny:
  • LT- Truly one of the 3 most important positions on a team includes LT. From 2011-2018, Tyron Smith was one of the best players in the NFL and perhaps even the best player on the Cowboys roster. But back and knee injuries have made Ty Smith a lot more human. We need to consider that his days as a top LT are winding down. I don't see a problem with planning for his demise. Its coming sooner than we think. He is a shell of his former self but hes still top 10. I do not want to move Collins over there no way.
  • Safety- a no brainer. We haven’t had great talent at this position for too long. It’s time for this team to invest in a premium draft pick at a long time position of need. Yes please.Its sad that Heath is your best player at S. This should either be Jamaal Adams or 1st or second BPA at that position.
  • DT- a close second to safety in obvious need. Another position where we have settled for mid-late round draft picks or cheap retreads. It’s past time to address this position early in the draft. Id argue this is the biggest need on the team and must be 1st or second pick depending on who's there and how the draft falls.
  • WR- Amari Cooper is a great talent and he certainly helped this team for two years. But I don’t believe in investing huge cap space on a position that is one of the easiest to find talent. Michael Gallup’s emergence also makes giving huge cap dollars to Cooper less attractive. I favor moving on from him and saving some cash. Amari was hurt half the year and for whatever reason disappeared away from home but I don't see us moving on from him. I hesitate to make him the highest paid player because of drops and injury concerns. I hope they re-up Cobb and gallup is darn near what Cooper is.
  • LB- I still believe a healthy LVE is a great talent. I’m a little concerned about Jaylon after his big contract but he’s still certainly a talent. This team still needs LB talent. We should probably say goodbye to Sean Lee though. Love the guy and what he has meant to this team. But it’s better to cut a guy a year early than too late. This is my 3rd biggest need on the team perhaps tied with S as the second biggest need. I fear for LVE and smith IMO regressed. I can see needing 2 of these.

• Guard- I’m not convinced that Connor Williams is a starter. He’s ok at best. Maybe Connor Macgovern is an upgrade and Williams just becomes a decent backup. But this position needs to be addressed. I think we need a LT for grooming and we could use better depth as a whole. Im interested in McGovern but frankly even though the line is much worse IMO than 2016 version they are still top 10 in league.

• TE- Jason Witten needs to go. He’s a HOFer but he’s done. We need another TE probably from the draft to complement the emergence of Blake Jarwin.We have needed a TE for the longest. Heck we used to draft them in the 2nd all the time when we didnt need them now we ignore it and rely on old man Witten. Id love for this to be addressed in FA and give Jarwin his chance.
There are probably more positions of need not mentioned above. But it’s certainly clear this team needs upgrades at multiple positions. In general, I would say the defense has the most glaring needs. But I also hope Coach Mac is able to bring a more discerning eye on this roster. And that we can stop being married to a player too long because “we love them”.

I will add corner were going to lose Jones as we should his 2 interceptions just aren't worth the money hes going to get overpaid for. We got bigger fish to secure.We cannot do all of this in 1 year so they can be creative through FA and the draft. The biggest change is these coaches need to kick these underwhelmers in the tail and not just clap for them. This is an over rated bunch of entitled players and it starts with Jerry hes allowed this type of environment. I don't believe it to be true but if he told a player he didn't need to listen to Garrett are we shocked that this team continues to under achieve

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Jerry's been deferring player personnel evaluations and decisions to his coaches, Mclay, and Stephen Jones since about 2013. He doesn't do any of the work of a GM. Its just a title. Thats the only reason for the roster improvements........on paper anyway.
In other words his influence was greater in recent years. You’re forgetting one other major influence during this time frame and really when the better decisions begun.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Do you understand the difference between a fan posting online and an NFL Owner who has been in the league for 30 years?
this has truth to it he may not have been a football guy 30yrs ago professionally speaking but after 30 years as a GM , hes has to be pretty darn close to it lol..

how many on here have been NFL Gms? how about a player in college? in the HOF now?

Im pretty sure Jerry knows a ton more then any of us about even football matters..hes had OTJT for 30years and really hes fielded some talented teams that feel short but they've been good enough to make a Sb..maybe MM can finally get us over the top

on a side note Jerrys stance has been over 30years like the other teams around the nfl , how many GMs would he have fired anyway? most likely 3 of them or more? theres no proof we would be in any better position given jerry still would have the final say. he cut out the middle man in his own words..

Im not saying I wish we would have a true GM here but its no lock it would have helped..

MyFairLady

Reaction score
How dare you question the talent on this team. You are talking about Jerruhs precious baby boys. You will make him sad if someone has to leave. Everyone gets to stay and everyone gets max contract. That is the way Jerruh operates. Then everyone will love him in all his glory.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Do you understand the difference between a fan posting online and an NFL Owner who has been in the league for 30 years?
Of course . Are you saying we shouldn’t question any decisions?

I’ve seen time after time where a fan had better insight than Jerry. Not only on particular talent but needs.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
exactly thats a waste

hes more a candidate to kick over to LT and a player like Cwill or another go to RT..TS has one or two years left, after 2 years he can be cut with little cap hit.. so if im panning this I see LC as a better LT as hes left handed and took sometime adjusting to the right side..we have players to play LG..

I'm not sure I want to mess with Collins at all. He's gotten adjusted to RT, plus his skills seem to be a better fit for that side to me because I think speed gives him more trouble than power. I think Williams is a better fit at LT because he's the opposite of that.

johneric8

Reaction score
Wait, what? Fans can't judge players they have never met or watched film of or have any clue what their position coaches think? Fans don't know draft picks better than scouts who spend months with them instead of just reading a few website summaries?

Are you sure?
I watch football and grade draft picks like many of you, and personally based on how guys played under Garrett I can't in good faith evaluate most of them. I can try, but it's just hot air more than an educated assessment.

tm1119

Reaction score
What games are ya’ll watching that makes you think Tyron Smith is anywhere near needing to be replaced? There are less than 5 human beings on earth that can play LT better than Tyron, I’ll gladly sacrifice the 2-3 game a year that he misses due to injury over having an inferior player protecting the QB’s blind side

Kaiser

Reaction score
Are you saying we shouldn’t question any decisions?

Thats about three strawmen down the rabbit hole. The post I was replying to was claiming the average fan on this site knows more than Jerry. Calling that nonsense is a million miles away from saying "we shouldn't question any decisions".

Rayman70

Reaction score
What games are ya’ll watching that makes you think Tyron Smith is anywhere near needing to be replaced? There are less than 5 human beings on earth that can play LT better than Tyron, I’ll gladly sacrifice the 2-3 game a year that he misses due to injury over having an inferior player protecting the QB’s blind side
we need him for all of the games, not part time. AS GREAT as he is, when healthy, we need him all the time.

LittleD

Reaction score
Under Garrett we always have that one game where one of the worst teams plays brilliantly and we look awful. Or the opposing QB can't hit the broad side of a barn....until he plays us.

Right! Garrett never had the Killer attitude that you step on everyone's neck until they choke. Garrett spends too much time at Duke Univ. and too little time with
Belichick.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Thats about three strawmen down the rabbit hole. The post I was replying to was claiming the average fan on this site knows more than Jerry. Calling that nonsense is a million miles away from saying "we shouldn't question any decisions".
I wouldn't say the average fan would.

Jerry better GM than about half the league.

starfan1

Reaction score
we need him for all of the games, not part time. AS GREAT as he is, when healthy, we need him all the time.
not only that he cant move like he used to and he compensated by getting called for costly penalties. I dont think we need to move on from him but we definitely need a plan for when it happens.it will be sooner than we think. Back injuries and now the knee

UncleRico

Reaction score
Dallas needs a much better QB in the fold to serve 2 purposes, push Dak a little and to be able to come in and play if Dak gets hurt. We do not know what we have in Cooper Rush as he never gets to play. But we need a better back up plan at QB for sure. Draft or FA.

We def need a backup QB. Dak shouldn’t have played against Eagles, it was obvious he could barely throw

Kaiser

Reaction score
I wouldn't say the average fan would.

Jerry better GM than about half the league.

McClay has been the real GM for many years, Jerry is really a veto authority at this point. But the post I was replying to was the typical "Imma fan and I know more than Jerry about these things" when in reality every person in the Dallas front office has exponentially more information about these decisions than the average fan here. That doesn't mean they always work out, but its silly to claim a fan who reads a few articles or draft profiles knows more.

tm1119

Reaction score

And I want to marry a rich super model...sometimes you have to settle.

Find me a guy that can play 16 games, only let up 1 sack and be a great run blocker. When you can do that I’ll entertain the idea...but you’ll be looking for a LONG time. Until then it’s a ridiculous notion that we have to replace a great LT. Tyron will definitely be a case of people not realizing what we have until it’s gone.