News: Jake Ferguson Brought the Heat in Cowboys Rookie Camp

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys selected Wisconsin TE Jake Ferguson with the 129th pick in the 2022 NFL Draft.

Ferguson was a factor in the Badger offense all four seasons, catching 145 passes for 1,168 yards and 13 touchdowns in his college career. Last season, he caught 46 passes for 450 yards and three touchdowns, earning First-team All-Big Ten honors.

Furthermore, Ferguson was the leading receiver during Reese’s Senior Bowl. He finished with three receptions for 62 yards and a touchdown in the annual contest.

The off-season has just begun for Dallas, and for now, Ferguson will backup Dalton Schultz in his rookie campaign and compete with Jeremy Sprinkle and Sean McKeon for the TE2 spot.

This past weekend, FanSided NFL Insider Matt Lombardo said Ferguson was a standout during the camp.

“Those around the team said he has a chance to be special,” said Lombardo. The former Badger standout “turned heads with his physicality, and “really solid body control in the passing game.”

https://insidethestar.com/jake-ferguson-brought-the-heat-in-cowboys-rookie-camp/

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I remember watching Ferguson in games against Ohio State. I was fine with this pick. Pulling for him, but I pull for all the new players as well.
He will get a year to learn being 2nd or 3rd TE, and it will do him good. Maybe he is a sleeper pick that we need.

DoctorChicken

Reaction score
From what I see with him, Ferguson can be a good security blanket type TE. He has very sure hands and can make clutch catches in tight spaces. He isn’t going to break off on any long TD runs, but he wasn’t drafted to.

What he will do is block well and catch what is thrown to him.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys selected Wisconsin TE Jake Ferguson with the 129th pick in the 2022 NFL Draft.

Ferguson was a factor in the Badger offense all four seasons, catching 145 passes for 1,168 yards and 13 touchdowns in his college career. Last season, he caught 46 passes for 450 yards and three touchdowns, earning First-team All-Big Ten honors.

Furthermore, Ferguson was the leading receiver during Reese’s Senior Bowl. He finished with three receptions for 62 yards and a touchdown in the annual contest.

The off-season has just begun for Dallas, and for now, Ferguson will backup Dalton Schultz in his rookie campaign and compete with Jeremy Sprinkle and Sean McKeon for the TE2 spot.

This past weekend, FanSided NFL Insider Matt Lombardo said Ferguson was a standout during the camp.

“Those around the team said he has a chance to be special,” said Lombardo. The former Badger standout “turned heads with his physicality, and “really solid body control in the passing game.”

https://insidethestar.com/jake-ferguson-brought-the-heat-in-cowboys-rookie-camp/

Who are “those around the team”? Are they the ones that like their guys?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Based on what I've read about him, he's a solid player. I like players who have good pedigrees and know the game of football based on either a father, brother or relative playing the game and teaching them.
Such players tend to be fundamentally sound and mentally mature. From my recollection, Schultz whiffed on too many blocks.
I expect Ferguson to be among the best rookie contributors to this team next year, even if he doesn't get as many snaps because he's backing up Schultz.

Ken

Reaction score

Not surprised.

He, Williams and Ridgeway are locks to be good players to me out of this draftclass.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Based on what I've read about him, he's a solid player. I like players who have good pedigrees and know the game of football based on either a father, brother or relative playing the game and teaching them.
Such players tend to be fundamentally sound and mentally mature. From my recollection, Schultz whiffed on too many blocks.
I expect Ferguson to be among the best rookie contributors to this team next year, even if he doesn't get as many snaps because he's backing up Schultz.

Mel says he's a career backup so that's all he is.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

As a 4th round pick, if he is equal to Schultz as a receiver and better than Schultz as a blocker, then it's a win.