Jalen Ramsey over Zeke

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I actually think Zeke was the best selection with Dak as the QB and the worst selection for Romo as the QB. We knew Tony's window was closing and defense was needed if we wanted to win. Romo was coming back from injury, we still had a great running game, and the defense still needed help. With a premium first and second round draft pick the team upgraded a strength of the team (running game) and took a player in the 2nd that couldn't help.

I'm still shaking my head wondering what they were thinking. For anyone trying to claim Romo's career was wasted, that draft is strong evidence his career was wasted.

From the Romo Window perspective, the combination of Zeke and Jaylon didn't make much sense to me. Straddling strategies. One guy is win now, the other guy is a high risk long term play. But that's what you'll get from leadership by committee. Trade offs between coherent visions, instead of a unified strategy.

You must have hated that draft.

"still had a great running game" - ?
McFadden and Morris? No thanks.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
From the Romo Window perspective, the combination of Zeke and Jaylon didn't make much sense to me. Straddling strategies. One guy is win now, the other guy is a high risk long term play. But that's what you'll get from leadership by committee. Trade offs between coherent visions, instead of a unified strategy.

You must have hated that draft.

"still had a great running game" - ?
McFadden and Morris? No thanks.

Yeah, our running game was still good in 2015 despite the jokes about "anyone can run behind this line". Randle performed on par with what Zeke did this year and was a punchline, while Zeke is still considered a generational talent. DMC finished 4th in rushing that year despite not starting until later in the year. The Cowboys averaged 4.6 yards per attempt (tied for 5th best) and led the league in average time of possession per drive until after the final game of the season. This was despite having horrible QB play and missing Dez and/or him playing injured.

We still had a top running game. We didn't NEED a top running back to pair with Romo The running game still could have been one of the best in the league. We needed a defense if we were to make a serious run and the team failed in that draft. And the defense laid an egg in the playoffs getting roasted by an injured GB offense.

yentl911

Reaction score
Zeke all day

A total beast and difference maker that you can have touch the ball every play if you want. Different than playing CB.

Jaylon Smith is going to have his coming out party this year too - he will look more like the total stud and top five pick he was in college before the draft - people don’t get just how far he has come

jay94

Reaction score
Zeke all day

A total beast and difference maker that you can have touch the ball every play if you want. Different than playing CB.

Jaylon Smith is going to have his coming out party this year too - he will look more like the total stud and top five pick he was in college before the draft - people don’t get just how far he has come

Jaylon is a great character, but he has been expected to be a stud and has not been that. There were only 31 picks in the first round and he was 34, it had to be the deepest second round as well, I hope he can be the stud everyone thought he would be. I knew this exact situation would likely occur with him and why I didn't want him. Meaning taking 2 years to produce at the level he should be.

Fwed

Reaction score
How could anyone resist not re-taking Zeke...can you say Best HB in NFL!
I wouldn’t draft anyone who daisy dukes his shirt

Seriously though suspensions and related off the field stuff. I would of gone Ramsey in a heartbeat.

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
Give me a player who has his hands on the ball 30 times/game to influence games over a player who is lucky to sniff it once or twice in a game. The odds are higher that the guy who has it 30 times will make 4-5 big play to influence the game. Just sayin

vaturkey

Reaction score
If Ramsey has the same kind of long term career as Deon he was a better choice. If Zeke has a career like Emit then he would be the best choice. If they both fit into that category its a wash. This is a great question to ask about 2 years from now. Too soon right now however.

John813

Reaction score
It's tough. Didn't care for a RB that high and was curious how the Cowboys saw Ramsey.

Think the bigger question would of been if Bosa didn't go #3, would he been our pick?

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
With Romo and Zeke can you say Superbowl.....That 8 in box Tony and Dez would bust it out big time and in turn give Zeke a 2000 yard season!
Man so true. If only tony romo played baseball as a kid and learned how to slide properly.

blueblood70

Reaction score
JUST STOP different sides of the ball both doing well but Zeke can have a more direct impact and we had already had the identity with running the ball and missing Murray//It was Bosa that was taken that changed our pick..Jalen a nice player but hes not a superstar yet not Dion Type ,yet.. have you seen that defense he plays with? all those sacks and pressures, as nice as he looks hes still not poulling down superstar type numbers , hes a good player thats being made bgreat by the play in front of him.. maybe in the future we see him develop even more but in no way shape or form do i think he would be the better choice in our defense vs Zeke in our offense..no brainer

QT

Reaction score
Why do people spell Deion's name incorrectly?

Ramsey is not a game changer like Deion. Deion got many INT's and returned them for TD's. Deion also was a game changer on special teams.

aaev84

Reaction score
Just curious, for consistency purposes, do you knock Zeke's performance as a rookie because he had a great supporting cast. I'm sure a lot of RBs would love to play behind that great line.
I think Zeke has an even better year because teams actually respected Romo's passing ability. Look at how many ridiculous holes Murray got in 2014. That is because you had to worry about a real passing threat. Dak has an opposite mentality and teams played Dallas tighter because they weren't afraid. Zeke's numbers also suffered imo not only from some line woes but this as well. Dez never got any real separation even when he was in his prime. Romo still went deep to him and delivered. All I'm saying is teams respect Dak from 7 maybe 10 yards because that is what he is really consistent at delivering the ball in that range. Makes scheming/gameplanning a whole lot easier. Also affects how tight/how much you can squeeze the running game.

jay94

Reaction score
I think Zeke has an even better year because teams actually respected Romo's passing ability. Look at how many ridiculous holes Murray got in 2014. That is because you had to worry about a real passing threat. Dak has an opposite mentality and teams played Dallas tighter because they weren't afraid. Zeke's numbers also suffered imo not only from some line woes but this as well. Dez never got any real separation even when he was in his prime. Romo still went deep to him and delivered. All I'm saying is teams respect Dak from 7 maybe 10 yards because that is what he is really consistent at delivering the ball in that range. Makes scheming/gameplanning a whole lot easier. Also affects how tight/how much you can squeeze the running game.

Zeke has had plenty of ridiculous holes too, I posted a few on the old Cowboys forum.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Jalen a nice player but hes not a superstar yet not Dion Type ,yet.. have you seen that defense he plays with? all those sacks and pressures, as nice as he looks hes still not poulling down superstar type numbers

Wait...what? Ramsey was first team all-pro. And of course hes not going to have a bazillion interceptions. The WRs he covers are open like.. almost never. Yes he has a good defense to help but that doesn't change the fact that he is a beast. And did you see the line that Zeke runs behind?

blueblood70

Reaction score
Wait...what? Ramsey was first team all-pro. And of course hes not going to have a bazillion interceptions. The WRs he covers are open like.. almost never. Yes he has a good defense to help but that doesn't change the fact that he is a beast. And did you see the line that Zeke runs behind?
i didnt have to agree with you get over it, IMO no hes not super star yet like Prime time or even Reavis..hes on some of the top CBs in the leagues level but no IMO and if you read my other response to this TEAM at that TIME, and the way we run Offense, Zeke was the best choice..it still was..

Jalens nice player but it was zeke vs bosa, bosa was taken the cowboys knew they needed another Murray/Emmitt to run our game at that time..I don't think Ramseys producing on our defense like he is on that defense..thats my point..

in the end they are both doing well for the teams that chosen so these lets go back and redraft is moot,we both won ..

beware_d-ware

Reaction score

Great point.