Jalen Tolbert talks about his rookie struggles

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
No crime kid.......it happens to a lot of rookies. I think he's going a make a huge impact by the end of the season.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/...vS_nDTNbrLELUzPJdGkCKJQ_C7nU7f0UR529HWBzx-0kw

Tolbert Candid About Rookie Struggle, 2023 Jump​

Jun 05, 2023 at 11:21 AM

FRISCO, Texas — It goes without saying that the Cowboys and Jalen Tolbert are both hoping for a better outing from him in Year 2. The former third-round pick (2022) didn't contribute much to the offensive side of the equation as a rookie, and ultimately struggled to make his presence felt on special teams as well.
To his credit, the 24-year-old has shied away from neither self-awareness nor accountability, readily confessing he had a difficult time getting up to speed mentally in Year 1.
"I could just feel myself not confident, in everything," he openly admitted following the final practice of OTAs.
This offseason has afforded him a lot of time for reflection and improvement, and he's identified the biggest obstacle to his growth as a rookie was his own mind, and not much more than that.
In other words, he was his own worst enemy at the time.

"Even from [2022 training camp]," Tolbert said, pausing briefly to reflect before continuing. "I was not playing fast in practice, because you're moving around from one spot to another spot, and then maybe I'm not as comfortable at that one spot or not as comfortable in what's gonna be called in the headset. So, I hear it and now I'm thinking about splits, I'm thinking about the coverage, thinking about what to run and the depth of the route; and all of that.

CCBoy

Reaction score
It takes a disciplined focus and repetition adapting and adjusting. Depending upon personal progress, it can take two to three years at any time in the NFL. He is talented to build upon and wouldn't be with Dallas if he couldn't be shown the how.

Do it guy, I'm rooting for you.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let's see a show of hands for those that think it's easy to transition to the Cowboys from a small school when the #2 WR can't perform as anticipated. That's what I thought.

Hell of a lot more like Tolbert than Martin or Parsons.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Even from [2022 training camp]," Tolbert said, pausing briefly to reflect before continuing. "I was not playing fast in practice, because you're moving around from one spot to another spot, and then maybe I'm not as comfortable at that one spot or not as comfortable in what's gonna be called in the headset. So, I hear it and now I'm thinking about splits, I'm thinking about the coverage, thinking about what to run and the depth of the route; and all of that.
Remember last week I blamed the coaches? Perfect example right there. The Cowboys couldn't have screwed this kid up any more if that had tried last year.

Having spent plenty of time with the top three Cowboys wideouts this offseason, as well as Prescott (that includes catching passes from him at the local high school, in the D4Kyard and at the Cowboys facility in Frisco), Tolbert is all-in on absorbing as much as he can to level up.

"I'm excited to be able to jump into Year 2 and get back to the dude that I was in college that got me here," said Tolbert, matter-of-factly. "I'm confident I can be that guy and more.
Now this sounds much more like a formula for success. I also mentioned last week I'm confident in this kid. This is a big reason why. He's building on his skills and gaining confidence instead of being thrown into the deep end.

Motorola

Reaction score
No crime kid.......it happens to a lot of rookies. I think he's going a make a huge impact by the end of the season.

https://www.dallascowboys.com/news/...vS_nDTNbrLELUzPJdGkCKJQ_C7nU7f0UR529HWBzx-0kw

FRISCO, Texas — It goes without saying that the Cowboys and Jalen Tolbert are both hoping for a better outing from him in Year 2. The former third-round pick (2022) didn't contribute much to the offensive side of the equation as a rookie, and ultimately struggled to make his presence felt on special teams as well.
To his credit, the 24-year-old has shied away from neither self-awareness nor accountability, readily confessing he had a difficult time getting up to speed mentally in Year 1.
"I could just feel myself not confident, in everything," he openly admitted following the final practice of OTAs.
This offseason has afforded him a lot of time for reflection and improvement, and he's identified the biggest obstacle to his growth as a rookie was his own mind, and not much more than that.

Eye-opening read -- how detailed Tolbert was in reflecting on his difficulties, plus how his teammates reached out to help him in the offseason (Prescott purchasing a self-help book, Diggs and Gallup relaying their hard times starting out, Cooks taking Tolbert under his wing).

Tangle_Foot

Reaction score
It's a new season. Hopefully he has successfully identified what held him back last year and is ready to make that second year jump. For him that means being active on game day and making a play when his number is called. I still believe he's capable, it will take more than a failed rookie season for me to throw him out with the trash.

Best of luck to him.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Eye-opening read -- how detailed Tolbert was in reflecting on his difficulties, plus how his teammates reached out to help him in the offseason (Prescott purchasing a self-help book, Diggs and Gallup relaying their hard times starting out, Cooks taking Tolbert under his wing).
this^^^^^^ this is why I think he'll be fine

JayFord

Reaction score
Crap happens

go out there and gimmie 800 yards and 8 touchdowns you got this!

GMO415

Reaction score
Everyone gets one chance to make an impression. He's all but done.

Techsass

Reaction score
I like that he's honest enough in saying that it was on him. I also know that most WRs, even the really good ones, make a major leap in years 2 & 3.

But...how little they used him given what our WR room was does bother me.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Didn't Dallas move him around last year to all the receiver positions because they thought he could handle it? Would like to see the team learn from this and keep a rookie at one spot until he masters it.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Didn't Dallas move him around last year to all the receiver positions because they thought he could handle it? Would like to see the team learn from this and keep a rookie at one spot until he masters it.
Yes, they did........he even mentions trying to learn all three WR positions. No way that should have happened......that's on MM, KM, and his position coach.

BleedSilverandBlue

Curator of Excellent Takes
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Yes, they did........he even mentions trying to learn all three WR positions. No way that should have happened......that's on MM, KM, and his position coach.
The fact they thought that the best course of action for a third round pick out of Sun Belt South Alabama was to learn all three WR positions is pretty questionable. Hopefully Tolbert can get up to speed this year (and have less asked of him with the addition of Cooks and a healthy Gallup).

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
The fact they thought that the best course of action for a third round pick out of Sun Belt South Alabama was to learn all three WR positions is pretty questionable. Hopefully Tolbert can get up to speed this year (and have less asked of him with the addition of Cooks and a healthy Gallup).
Exactly, let the kid master one position and then feed him more.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Exactly, let the kid master one position and then feed him more.
I think position flex has infected the league to the extent that they move too fast with players to make sure they know more than one spot. I know that you only have so much depth, but that depth does you no good if instead of knowing one spot well, a player knows more than one spot poorly.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Yep, interesting, especially that Dak gave him the book, hope it was a BOGOF (though good that both of them accept they need help).

Yep, I suppose coming from South A where I would of thought a lot of plays were designed for him he needed to be told that he got drafted on projected ability, now to forget everything you've learnt there.....and this is what we want.

Dont question it, just do it....interesting about the quote about 2 minute performance, I trust he and Dak are on the same page of the self help book?

Pass2Run

Reaction score

Great write up by the home site.